Non-Human Avatars

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (61 posts)
  1. J Sunhawk profile image69
    J Sunhawkposted 13 years ago

HubPages asks that you include a picture of yourself in your profile. I see pictures of people, but also pictures of cats, dogs, scenery, boats, babies, etc.

Some say a picture of yourself boosts your image and status among fellow Hubbers.

So what's the deal with the unusual avatars?

Does the non-human picture hurt or harm your persona on HubPages?

1. profile image0
      WizardOfOzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

some people just don't care.

2. profile image0
      selrachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your avatar of the invisible man is cool

3. profile image0
      andycoolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've chosen this avatar to depict my character as a writer... my username too wants to tell the readers something. I think since it's a virtual world username and avatar should be chosen in such a way that it tells your readers about you, how honest and dedicated you're etc. When people start to discover you through your writings they'll pay attention to the brand created by you. And it'll be easier for them to recognise you and trust the content. Choosing an avatar is all about creating your own brand!

4. anime_nanet profile image61
      anime_nanetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go get an avatar

5. cornwall_UK profile image69
      cornwall_UKposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a picture of myself.  I don't have a camera, I don't photograph well either and I am exceeeeeedingly shy.

My current avatar reflects my username, and my writing which is about this part of the country/world.

2. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

I like my avatar and that is why it is there:)

J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like it, too.

3. KCC Big Country profile image81
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Many writers prefer to remain anonymous and believe their writing should stand on it's own merit.  Some do it because of possible conflicts with their 9 to 5 job.

4. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I hate those animal avatars!

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, animal avatar are such a waste of space. tongue

2. J Sunhawk profile image69

I think your avatar of a water hose is fine.

:-)

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A water hose? lol lol lol lol lol

1. bayoulady profile image68
          bayouladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol!Cagsil, when I first saw your avatar, I had to zoom to see what it was, but it looked like vapor to me.Certainly not a water hose.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  Yours is unique also!

3. tritrain profile image69
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a squirrel, I'm very concerned about snake avatars.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Squirrels are safe here!  I heard they have worms!

4. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol smile

5. secretmemoir profile image60
      secretmemoirposted 13 years agoin reply to this

like the one you've got? 
      I don't mind avatars that aren't the person,because they still say something about the person.
      The ones I don't like are the ones that don't put a pic in at all - they don't seem trustworthy, and they're not distinctive - I often recognise writers by their avatar

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I would say it hurts you if you're looking to get freelance writing jobs from other sources, other than writing on Hubpages.

If you're not looking to do that, then it really don't make a difference. Even those who write strictly sales hubs, don't require a picture of themselves to make sales.

Most online purchases are buyers, not just on lookers. Especially, targeted written hubs.

If you're trying to be someone, then a picture will have more weight than that of something else.

I personally, rotate images between video game icons and my real self. On occasion, I'll post my real picture and leave it up for a while and then change it. There are a lot people who do that as well.

6. KCC Big Country profile image81
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I've had a clapping monkey up for 2 years.....and a red high heel for only a couple of days. 

I don't think having an avatar versus a photo hurts a writer's chances at other work.  But, it might.  Who's to say any of the writers with photos are actually photos of themselves anyway?

1. Kidgas profile image62
      Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to get used to avatars that change at times.  I miss that monkey.

1. KCC Big Country profile image81
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I almost feel ashamed for mentioning it, but NO ONE, not one single person has said anything about me changing it.  You're the first.  My daughter has been after me to change it for a long time.  Since my 2nd anniversary is coming up, I thought I'd change it, but I don't particularly like the red shoe, but I wanted to choose something feminine since most people assume I'm male.

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I assumed it was temporary.

2. TamCor profile image79
          TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, KCC--I have never once imagined that you were a male--too funny! lol

I hadn't see your new avatar before now, so let me be the second to comment on it, lol.  I like the red shoe better than the clapping monkey--I have to admit, those little things kinda creep me out, haha.  lol

I use a non-human avatar only because I am so extremely UN-photogenic... big_smile

Thank you.  I'm in search of a new avatar.

3. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is really odd... I always thought you were male KCC... until you corrected me.  I thought that Sunforged was female for a long time too - this might have had something to do with when he was talking about his pregnancy, before his partner had their baby.  Then, of course, his hubs were very much female orientated - I guess he was in tune with the whole sequence and appeared as if he was the one having the baby! 

Perhaps he is in touch with his feminine side - Gia has touched his heart! hehehe

Only one person has identified the change in my Avatar.  Funny that!

2. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You had to point out the change! I had seen your new avatar but the change of clothes flew over my head, I honestly didn't recognise you!

As for the OP - mine was an act of folly that stuck. I actually look nothing like my avatar smile I also think that if I changed it now, the world would stop turning tongue

I have thought to do so, put a picture of me there, but then there's the name. Equally ridiculous and hardly a name that could be classed as professional.

My advice? Think carefully before you click the submit button *nods*

When i was a kid, I collected frogs, dropped them in a tub and observed them.

I no longer have the tub.

:-)

7. bayoulady profile image68
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

I've been wondering about my fluer de lis kitchen bar stools. I am bayoulady but don't want a picture of a bayou. As for my face...good heavens......I want to keep my followers!HA!

8. telecommuter profile image56
    telecommuterposted 13 years ago

But, it's me.

9. sofs profile image73
    sofsposted 13 years ago

I like the guessing game, I love light and purple and here I got a combination of both, I loved the Eustoma flowers that sat on my window sill all summer long, which was my first.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Impressive. Poetic. Eloquent.

10. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I'll never show my real face here....Doh!

1. profile image0

You are just an animation of the real you! hehehe

1. waynet profile image67
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep computer generated special effects is better! smile

1. profile image0

Oh?  I thought those fuzzy flickered squiggles where the effect of those mushrooms that the farmer had picked for my breakfast this morning!

(lol... Disclaimer - *this is a joke!* - lol)

1. waynet profile image67
            waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Magic mushrooms?.....reminds me of a story that I'll probably write as a hubpage!! smile

1. profile image0

I have one too! lol

11. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 13 years ago

I'm stuck with my ugly mug until I can find something different, lol.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Spammer fail smile

I believe that in terms of avatars, something is better than nothing.

1. YU_First 1 profile image59
      YU_First 1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Strange, what I,d really love to change more than anything is my avatar name! ... Hope hub pages tech team reverses the permanency at some point in time.

2. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey lady, where the heck have you been? I haven't seen you around these parts in a long time! smile

1. profile image0

She has probably been having a real life... unlike the rest of us!lol

3. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aha! I knew you'd return. big_smile

13. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I think there's some advantages to posting a PROFESSIONAL looking picture of yourself or of someone professional looking who isn't you, since nobody will know the difference anyway, if your intent is to be some serious, commercially minded, advice giver.  If not, then your avatar is just part of the brand you create for yourself.  (You can have more than one account, so you can create multiple brands for different reasons, which many do.)  I don't recommend changing brand features unless there is something wrong with the one you have.

14. anime_nanet profile image61
    anime_nanetposted 13 years ago

I write about anime so to me an anime avatar makes perfect sense.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine is just  me getting ready to work. Not the best, but I could not find any avatar I liked.

15. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I'm kind of fond of inanimate monkeys, myself!
    But I have been admiring your red pump, KCC. Very chic and intriguing! Maybe I will follow suit and change my avatar to some kind of footwear. What do you think?

LOL...we should have the right and left foot of the same pair.

16. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

As a serious answer to the OP's question.
    I think it's whatever you are comfortable with. Since this is a writing site and not a social networking site, it's a great place to create a personality to go along with your hubber name.

This is just my opinion, but I think it's best to pick one or the other. If you want to use real photos of yourself, go for it.
    If you want to use a photo or avatar, that's cool, too. People will come to know you by your avatar.
    What can be jarring (and NOT in a good way) is when someone you've known for months as (for example) a "sunset" or a "cowboy" or a "flower" suddenly switches to a real photo.
    The used to be a hubber here whose avatar photo when I joined was an adorable pic of her as a very young girl. It was B/W and just had such a feeling to it. One day she switched to a current mug shot of herself. I never got over it.
    Eventually she left HP. But I don't think it had anything to do with her photo big_smile!

What's an OP?

Orderly person?

1. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think OP means original poster.

17. profile image0
    Listerinoposted 13 years ago

I just wanted something kind of anonymous and that related to my hubs. I haven't found something I really like yet so I'm still hunting. I didn't want a picture of myself on here simple because I wasn't sure at first if I wanted my family and friends to know about my articles here. But I decided I didn't care if they knew so I guess I could put a picture of myself up. It's just more fun to have an avatar.

18. Pcunix profile image93
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I would never put a picture of myself here.

Well, unless I found a clown wig in an old drawer and went to a party wearing it and a friend took a picture and sent it to me the next day.  I'd put a picture like that here, sure.

Your clown wig is fine, but I think you're wearing it upside-down.

2. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

and I thought you were a rainbow person - not a party-going person in a wig!  awww. . . so disappointed now.sad

1. sofs profile image73
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh where is the pink panther... the cat ....the pink.... leopard.. or what???

19. kerryg profile image81
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

AAARRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

20. blondepoet profile image69
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Lol where is your pic....
    Oh between you and I I know your avatar is the invisible man but these other hubbers cannot see it.It is only because I have x-ray glasses. Oh the things I see....woo hooo

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj434/ookamixclan/Invisibleman1933.jpg

21. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I change my avatar constantly because I'm also very changeable - sort of squirrely, actually, but that would be too close to reality.  Today I'm a close sunflower - tomorrow I may be a cheetah again, or a warrior woman - you get a kind of clue about how I'm feeling from my avatar... kittenish sometimes.  I love it when people are always changing their pics - it makes life just a bit more interesting to me.  Even tho some people get very upset when I change and give me a hard time - I have never been an iconoclast!  whatever that is.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)