Does the look of your Avatar affect your readership?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (73 posts)
  1. R. Blue profile image60
    R. Blueposted 15 years ago

I've noted that some of you hubbers change your Avatar as often as I change my underwear....about once a week.  Does the appeal of a given avatar affect your hits?  Or is it your mood or personality of the moment?  Afre you more apt to read a hub if the avatar is sexy as opposed to a wrinkled old geezer?

1. guidebaba profile image58
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I feel - YES .

1. profile image0
        jjrubioposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I concur...It can make a difference why one is reading another's hub depending on the photo on the avatar..And  I change my avatar more than once a week...It depends on my mood..

R. Blueposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's why jj has a hot pic...though she doesn't need it...cause she's a hot read.

1. profile image0

Thanks.....I try!!

2. Frieda Babbley profile image82
        Frieda Babbleyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL  good answer.  and true for some, definitely.

2. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I have my own pic up n is grainy tongue I have no idea what all my readers think ... never thought bout it. You only change your undies once a week yikes lol lol you tellin me tall tales?

Now would I pull such a fine looking leg as yours???

1. Dorsi profile image84
        Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think an avatar has alot to do with readership. People like to put a face to the writing, and the more personable a picture, the more readers can relate to you. Perhaps if your idea is to be mysterious or funny then a picture with that slant would be good too (like Pest's picture)
        It's called branding, and when you write and socialize you want people to remember you, and remember your name. So choosing a good name, picture and consistent bio are all important. And if you have to have a nickname make it one that gets associated with you.You don't want to have different nick names all over, people will forget which one is you. Keep it simple.

3. SweetiePie profile image78
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I change my avatar when I am bored.  I do change mine quite often, but it depends on my mood.

4. profile image0
    Feline Prophetposted 15 years ago

I've stuck to my avatar since I joined...kinda suits me, what? tongue

1. quicksand profile image82
      quicksandposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The impression that I got was that you are erudite, (true) and a cat fan.

I only said cat! Woof! Woof! Thud! Yelp! Yelp! Yelp!

1. profile image0
        Feline Prophetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You really do need to get over your aversion to dogs, quicksand! tongue
        The rest is all true! Hehe...

Feline Prophet, the caravan of my aversion is propelled by barking dogs! smile smile smile

1. profile image0

But haven't you heard - those are the ones that never bite! big_smile

smile

5. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 15 years ago

I always recognize fellow members of hub pages by their avatars, and names do not always create an impression. However it would be a good idea to keep changing avatars.

6. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

I suffer from a multiple personality disorder

7. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I had my pic up for a long time , decided I was bored with me and changed it, it is always nice to have fun!!! In regards to does it make a difference? I don't think so..smile

8. Anamika S profile image63
    Anamika Sposted 15 years ago

I don't think so. If you have quality content then getting readers is not a problem. I keep my avatar standard and do not change it very often. My avatar is my own picture and i had put the same one in all the sites i am involved with the intention of 'Branding'.

9. Elena. profile image84
    Elena.posted 15 years ago

Cool to see this topic revived. Not the first time I see such a discussion in the forums.  I even did a hub on the matter of avatars. 

I used the same avatar for 5 months and all of a sudden decided to initiate a "weekend specials" adventure. 

I can see how it would help with "branding", but it's got to be a very distinct avatar for that.  Oh, I don't know, but I love that the topic is back on stage smile

10. Bard of Ely profile image77
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

My avatar shows that I am a creative artist and is also a bit of publicity and in gratitude to the brilliant painter Paco de Colmenar who painted it.

11. R. Blue profile image60
    R. Blueposted 15 years ago

I put this question forth because for me, I'm more inclined to read the hub of an attractive person than someone who isn't.  There are times that I would like to see the face of the writer and also times when I'd rather see them in my imagination.  As for Pest and GoldenFrog...they fall into the category of...it just doesn't matter because they write so well.  Golden changess his avatar with the change in the weather....but I must say I liked the one of the old man vagrant with the computer in his lap....gave vision to Golden's rage pieces.  Randy Behavior and a lot of the sexy ladies...well I want to see sexy avatars....helps me concentrate.

1. KCC Big Country profile image80
      KCC Big Countryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The inclination to read an attractive hubber's hub is exactly why some people chose to keep their avatar generic.  So, is that attractive man in your avatar really you, or is it the type of man you'd think readers would want to read?  Based on your comments, I'm guessing the latter.

Can't slip anything by you can I???  That was my point in a subtle way to some of the people who use their own picture as their avatar.  I'd rather imagine how they look than actually seeing them...LOL

1. KCC Big Country profile image80
          KCC Big Countryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree, but at the same time I'm sometimes curious to see what they really look like.  I had the monkey you see for the longest time and decided to change for awhile.  Once I hit 10,000 pageviews last night, the monkey is back.  smile

I see KCC....so you can't get the Monkey off your back...LOL  Obviously you're doing something right...keep on hubbing

12. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 15 years ago

Well mine is me. I just can't think of anything clever. smile

And if I looked like you, I'd post my pic too....maybe naked.....oh yeah thats not allowed, but its how I'll imagine you from now on.

1. Colebabie profile image61
        Colebabieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Haha. That's all I have to say smile

Cole....I see I left you speechless....standing there naked with nothing to say.....You know I'm just teasing.

13. robie2 profile image73
    robie2posted 15 years ago

Well here's my report on my highly unscientific experiment LOL-- I substituted a recent pic of my real self for my usual sleek and elegant avatar yesterday afternoon. My hubscore actually went down three points right after I did it. Guess I'm not as attractive as my avatar eh? but then I already knew that:-)

Readership didn't change much though-- in fact was up -- not sure what it all means but went back to my avatar today. I've been using her for close to a year now and we are really good friends so up she stays at least for the moment.

1. Elena. profile image84
      Elena.posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Robie, aren't these facts really mind blowing? I never thought avatars make much of a difference, said so before in this thread, but one's gotta wonder when seeing the ratings and readership and what not!

My hubscore's only an 8.....so if I post my pic....lemme see....nope I haven't actually seen any negative hub scores.

2. robie2 profile image73
        robie2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I guess it's all about "branding" as they say in the marketing world. There are also lots of other influences on hubscore--not just avatar so it might be hard to figure out. Like my readership is up because I recently posted a new hub--my first in a month-- which might also be part of why my hubscore went down LOL

I think the bottom line is what someone else said--people like to look at pix of attractive people. We're hardwired for it I guess and that is what keeps the plastic surgeons in business smile

14. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

I use the Bing Crosby Postage Stamp as my avatar because I am hopeful that it will inspire those who are unfamiliar with him to listen to his music and watch some of his many movies -- some may be hard to find, but many can be found on the Web. No one needs to see my picture to read my hubs.

15. RKHenry profile image65
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

I change mine every once in awhile with the belief that it does make a difference.

16. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

I made mine pretty quick and dirty. As a lark, mostly. I'm working on one comprised of three segments: G M L, with each letter corresponding with eyes, ears, and mouth (with duct tape covering them, I'm so uber-original..I know.).

But when I get it to work, it'll probably be too big and complex to shrink down...

LOL

17. Pest profile image81
    Pestposted 15 years ago

I dont think people would like it if I changed mine.  Some avatars become part of who we are.  An extension of a personality or a way to express a personality otherwise hidden in the everyday world away from HP...unfortunately for me I have a kittycidal raccoon.  So to answer with my opinion...I dont really think it matters.

Pest...I did say earlier that you and Golden were the exception....heck you could post a turd for an avatar and everyone would still read you.

1. Pest profile image81
        Pestposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Eloquently put my friend!  LOL  Thanks! smile

18. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

I'm really a fifteen-year-old boy.  This is my mother's photo.

1. profile image0

Yeah! smile LOL
      You are silly!!!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I like it. It looks like you have secret and you are trying not to laugh.

3. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jeepers! Who woulda thunk? Now I don't feel as bad, being a sickly old man hiding behind a generic av. wink

4. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Then what a pretty mother you have! You be nice to her, you hear???  lol lol

19. Dorsi profile image84
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Here is the thing you need to consider with your avatar- consider it like your own personal "logo" and think about that for a minute. I've been in advertising half my life and I can say that logos are a huge part of a companies identity. That's why you don't see them change their logos very often. Think about how many times you have looked at the coca-cola or walmart logo or any other company. By viewing it several times it starts to make an impression in your head.
    I am against changing my avatar frequently, no matter how tempted I am to do so. Remember Ann Landers picture? That is how I would like people to recognize my writing through the consistent use of my picture with all my writing.
    Choosing an avatar for people wanting to be professional writers is alot more important that one thinks.

20. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image62
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years ago

I've been thinking about updating my avatar and using my real pic:
    http://www.furiouslove.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/MDAapril20th2007.jpg.w300h295.jpg

I must say ...What a vast improvement..I never did like cats.

Pest...is that you????

1. LondonGirl profile image82
          LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just have a photo of me and my son - people can like it or lump it!

1. JamaGenee profile image78

LG, that photo is *your* brand! I'm sure your son won't mind seeing himself every time he reads your stuff when he's older! lol

1. LondonGirl profile image82
              LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

When he's a greasy-haired spotty 15 year old oaf, he might not like it. That'll be his tough luck!

2. JamaGenee profile image78

I'm guessing you cropped off that long number on that card they made you hold, right???  cool

21. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 15 years ago

A hubber had once stated something very serious and totally sane in a forum. I read the last few phrases first, and found it so absorbing that I scrolled upwards to check out the entire thing from the very beginning. What do I see? His avatar is that of a little kid about to burst into tears!!!

Brilliant!

ROTFFLMA&BO!

22. SweetiePie profile image78
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I work at a library and study the covers of book jackets from time to time.  Often writers pose for different pictures through out their writing careers, so I see nothing wrong with updating one's avatar from time to time.  Celebrities also update their pictures from time to time, and we would not see pictures of Sally Field or Meryl Streep on their websites from twenty years ago.  Well of course we would see some older pictures and newer ones, but I think it is perfectly a okay to show a variety of pictures if that is your desire.

I have a similar job, SweetiePie, but I'll *never* get used to the newer jacket photos of Stephen King! (Better mention I'm a long-time SK fan.)

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image70
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

His newer pics do seem strange.  Looking at how much he has changed over the years is nice, though.  Strangely enough, I am looking at a pic of King right now.  "Cell" is sitting face down on my desk right now!!!

2. SweetiePie profile image78
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I like variety and a unique book jacket always catches my eye.  I am referring more to the pictures authors take in the back of books, many which change con frecuencia.  Also, with celebrities these change quite often.  I can see the point of keeping a certain picture, but I feel one can do well by changing it up too.

1. Dorsi profile image84
          Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I know you like to change your picture Sweetie. I think you are OK with doing that because your pics always look "consistent",in other words people can still tell it's you. Celebrities have a leg up on us as they have already got "face recognition", so it works for them.
          I have a couple different pics of me but have stayed with those 2 for the most part so people will recognize me at Digg, Facebook and other places where I go.
          It's surprising how many people remember your pic after awhile. When I was a columnist for a local paper people would recognize me on the street because I always had the same pic in my column. Kinda made me feel like a celebrity...lol...

1. SweetiePie profile image78
            SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I see what you mean.  I will probably keep the same pic on the examiner and not change that one.

23. Anna Marie Bowman profile image70
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

Though I change my avatar frequently, I like to play around, and change things as the mood strikes me, Dorsi had an excellent point.  Your avatar really is like a logo.  People become familiar with that avatar.  I think that is part of the reason we cannot change our names on here.  If we could change both our picture and our name, we would never be able to keep track of who everyone is.

You don't think people change their names on here......They're called multiple accounts.....LOL

24. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 15 years ago

Hmm based on my experience so far, no they don't cool

Clever disguise, Cris, going out in public with two eyes! Much more clever than wearing shades and a hat like those other celebs do.  lol cool

1. Cris A profile image59
        Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

But just the same, you found me. Will try again. Any suggestion?  cool

We've been over this already... Eskimos. Dog sleds.  Remember?? lol

1. Cris A profile image59
            Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yeah i know, and i'm taking that route. i was just trying to sidetrack you. oops, i think i would really need a new suggestion now! cool

25. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

Good question. It seems to be a very, very personal decision. Some hubbers change out their avatars every few hours. Others keep theirs consistent. IMHO, once people know your name (or your user name) and get to know your writing, they will follow you whether your avatar is a real photo of you or a cartoon cat (hellow Feline Prophet!) or an artistic rendering of some sort. It's all just part of having fun being creative! MM

1. profile image0

Meeeeeow MM, nice to meet you too! big_smile

2. R. Blue profile image60

Quite right MM...as I mentioned to Pest, he could use a pic of a turd for an avatar and people would still read his work...and same goes for the toad....Ever notice how some Restaurants have a following no matter how far off the beaten path they are while others with better locations and fancier diggs seem to fail.....just goes to show that quality content will be pursued even if inconvenient....or even with bad avatars.

26. Purple Perl profile image51
    Purple Perlposted 15 years ago

Avatars do have a lasting impression if the hub content is consistently good or bad or mediocore or a particular speciality topic of the writer.Readers quickly connect with a particular avatar,like "branding" that works for a company.The name associated  should match the avatar for attracting a faithful readership following.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)