What good are Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Squirrelchaser profile image61
    Squirrelchaserposted 13 years ago

My boyfriend says "What good are Hubpages?  I never heard of  Hubpages before.  If I were looking on the Internet, I'd never run across Hubpages.  Who's ever going to see your blogs.  You're wasting your time.?  If I were looking for your blog I'd never find it.  Who's ever going to read your blog.  Even if Hubpages is associated with Google and Amazon and all, who's going to see your blog?"

I can't answer this.  Can you?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No one is going to find your blog on HubPages because HubPages isn't a blogging site.  If you try to write blogs on HubPages, you're unlikely to get many readers.

I'm like you - before I joined HubPages, I don't recall ever visiting the site.  Yet I do get readers to my magazine-style articles on HubPages, and I do make money. 

I think the secret is that when people come to HubPages, they often don't notice the name of the site - they just read your article.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages! smile I think your boyfriend, needs to join HubPages and learn about it himself, instead of people trying to explain it to him.
      I had never heard of them and I found them online. And, I wasn't looking for them either.

I can probably only guess there might be a pretty good reason "he" wouldn't come across one of HubPages. There are 300 Billion websites/blogs and HubPages out there.
      Search engine traffic looking for what you write about. Fairly simple to grasp, should one read about HubPages. 

You would be wasting your time, but not on HubPages. I could point out the obvious, but I won't.
      Does he not know how to use a search engine properly?
      Those who search for it, will find it and read it. As explained above.
      Again, search engine traffic. People who want to see what you write.
      I think I just did.

Please do try to enjoy yourself while on HubPages. smile

3. profile image0
      ankigarg87posted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/help/success-stories

Give this link to your boyfriend he will automatically understand all

1. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is, some one after seeing this stories could not ask what good are hubpages?

4. kohuether profile image63
      kohuetherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Part of the hubpages experience is that you sort of define what you want to do with it. Some people want to make extra money, others want to write about what they enjoy, or it could be a combination of different things.

Hubpages isn't a blog site but you know what? I am always seeing it advertised on the problogger.net job boards. They don't exactly say that they are a blog site, but since they advertise on problogger the assumption is there sometimes.

I enjoyed reading all your opinions. I have no idea if I've posted on the forums before - so when I find the right spot I am going to post an intro. smile And squirrelchaser, welcome!

5. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could easily prove him wrong. Hubpages is liked a lot by google, meaning its search favors Hubpages and gives your website a good chance of being on the first page of search results.

You have to know what you are doing and it takes time, but there are millions of dollars out there to be made with google adsense and hubpages.

6. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, your poor misinformed boyfriend.

Hubpages writers have been discovered by publishers. They have been discovered by magazines. A hub I wrote was discovered by Associated Press and was the basis for a national story released by AP.

Assumptions are easy to make when you're not well informed.

7. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, Hub Pages are referenced a lot for specific searches.

We wouldn't be here if we weren't getting traffic.  Right now, I wouldn't be here if I weren't selling stuff.

He's missing out.  smile

8. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like Marisa said, nobody is going to see your blog here. But there are
      11 million people each and every month who just might see your hubs. smile

9. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dump him and find a boyfriend who is more supportive of your dreams and aspirations.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Darkside,

Thank you for pointing out the obvious that I left out of my post. lol lol

2. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

Well said, Cags, and nice to meet you, Squirrelchaser.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

My husband thought it was just another 'addiction' for me. I go through many - from my own blog to different computer games, even an MLM or two.

The first few months I was lucky to make a few cents or a dollar. However I made over $75 last month and if this month continues at the same rate I'm thinking I'll easily break $100.

My husband started to take notice after I reached more than 500 views a day - something much harder to do on your own blog or site.

Now he wants to help as much as he can. He's not a writer but he's always giving me ideas and tips.

I think that an increase from $3 in April to $75 last month is quite impressive - and I wouldn't be surprised if it continues at that rate.

Just a side note: Why do you have a link TO your profile, ON your profile? Were you trying to install a tracker? You might want to check out some of Darkside's easy to understand on how they work and how to install them: http://hubpages.com/hub/Referrals

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"What good are Hubpages?"

The answer to that question is simple (and frightening):

Google likes HubPages.

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

You know, I was search engine traffic looking for information on blogging and getting readers. I did a search and found a hub on just what I wanted. I took the advice on offer and set up an account for a backlink to my blog from my profile and wrote up a quick hub of my own. Was not long before I had a comment and a few views to that hub, wrote another and bam, more comments and readers. I had started blogging hoping to be read, found out about this place from a hub and got exactly what I wanted by writing here instead.

My point is, people will find articles here when one is well written on the topic people are searching for. You always have to have a first time for any site smile

6. Tarin profile image60
    Tarinposted 13 years ago

If you could own a page on Wikipedia with all your ads would you?

If you could get a dofollow link from Wikipedia would you?

If you could get these on a site that's 2/3rd's as good as Wikipedia would you?

And then Hubpages has one of the best referral systems in the biz.

7. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I could almost copy WryLilt's post.  My wife thought I was crazy - we've tried a couple of MLM's and some other web activities with no success at all.  I, too, have gone from $3 in July to $60 in October and my first $100 payout.  I'm not up to her level, but I'll kick her b*** if she'll just slow down a little! smile

My wife began to sit up and notice when I began getting readers from all over the world.  If no one can find me, those 30,000 views in 5 months are a little strange. roll

HubPages is a great site for writing, and for making a few $$ on the side, even for full time effort if that's what you want.  It's not particularly easy but nothing of value is.

Ignore him for a while and do your thing.  Work at it, learn a lot and write some.  He'll change his mind!

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile I better work faster! big_smile

8. hubzer profile image60
    hubzerposted 13 years ago

At first i started a hub to get a backlink,but now i like reading all the hubs.I like this place.cheers hubzer

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)