jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)

DMCA in The Learning Center

1. Pcunix profile image93
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

It might help people to know their rights and what they should do. We have seen several hubbers say they had no idea that they could do anything.

1. shazwellyn profile image43
      shazwellynposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I second that as a great idea!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image80
      Maddie Ruudposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's definitely a good idea, and I will put this on the to-do list, though the back-up of Learning Center entries we need to write is already quite long.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image96
        Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Move it up near the top-- I'm sure it wil help quite a few hubbers.  smile

2. habee profile image96
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I third it!

3. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Good idea.

4. Pcunix profile image93
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I might also suggest that you look around your own house - I bet someone here has written one heck of a good hub on this very subject.  You could just add the heading to your index, link to that hub (or to several hubs if it makes sense) for now and replace it with your own later.

Yeah, I realize that might lead to charges of favoritism, but if you can live with it I think most of us could too.

Disclosure:  I do NOT have a hub on that subject smile

5. Maddie Ruud profile image80
    Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago

Ask and ye shall receive.  New learning center entry on DMCA by Simone, under pressure (ie harassment) from yours truly.

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Maddie. smile big_smile And, Simone. smile

2. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 6 years agoin reply to this

great

3. Rochelle Frank profile image96
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! smile

4. Pcunix profile image93
      Pcunixposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Copyscaoe (mentioned in the article) is quite expensive.  Edweirdo's Hubdefender.com is much less so.

I wish some reasonable alternative existed for my main site.  Copyscape would run me $1,000 a month, which would  defeat the purpose.  Even my 200 odd hubs here would be over $50.00, which contrasts rather poorly with Edweirdo's $8.00 for up to 300 hubs.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image80
        Maddie Ruudposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I did suggest that to Simone initially, and have reminded her.  Should be in there now!

1. Edweirdo profile image85
          Edweirdoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for including my site, Maddie and Simone!

5. travelespresso profile image80
      travelespressoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is really fantastic Maddie and Simone and will be very helpful to hubbers.  Thank you.

Two small points - define DMCA - I still don't know what it means.

It may also be worth mentioning that when Hubpages finds a copied hub it provides a link the website with the copy and there is an option to file a DMCA from that link.

The reason I mention this is that there appears to be two paths - one where Hubpages identifies the copy and one where the hubber uses tools to find copies.

1. Edweirdo profile image85
        Edweirdoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

FYI, DMCA stands for "Digital Millennium Copyright Act". It's a law passed in the US in 1998. It's basically legislation that establishes a framework for copyright holders to enforce their rights online.

If you Google it there's loads of info, and the wikipedia page gives and overview...

1. travelespresso profile image80
          travelespressoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the clarification Edweirdo.  It's much appreciated, as is your fight to find the culprits who steal work!

If I don't know what it means there maybe other hubbers who don't know either and I believe its good writing to explain acronyms - but maybe not!

2. Pcunix profile image93
        Pcunixposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but HubPages search for duplicates misses things tools like Hubdefender will find.

You cannot rely on HP. I don't know what tools they use, but whatever it is, it misses things.

I'm sure Hubdefender misses things too,  but it seems to miss less:)

6. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Hey Maddie, think you can put it atop the forums. More attention? smile

7. JSAlison profile image61
    JSAlisonposted 6 years ago

What do you do if the WHOIS information is a dead end? I recently noticed a site that has copied hundreds of hubs including three of my own.

The site is wikiwheels.com.

Look up the whois for this site and you are told it is protected by something called WhoisGuard. There is no email or webhost to contact.

I posted details of this site here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/60820#post1348559

Nobody seemed especially interested.

I have left a polite request to have my own copied pages removed but that has so far had no effect. Since the 400 hubs seem to have gone up in just one month. the offender seems to be interested in volume. Anybody could find themselves targeted.

The worst thing is that it was just-posted hubs that were ripped off in my case so proving prior ownership might be difficult. It also killed the hubs.

8. Aficionada profile image90
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

This is excellent.  Thanks to PCunix also for the suggestion!

working