Is reciprocation expected or just courtesy?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. nell79 profile image79
    nell79posted 13 years ago

I've been here for nearly two months now and think I'm learning the ropes now, but I'm wondering about one thing. When another hubber stops by my hub and comments, I try to get back to theirs and do the same. Sometimes though, if life is particularly busy, I might miss one. Is there some black list that a hubber goes on, never to be spoken to again for this terrible lapse in behavior? Haha

Seriously though, is it generally expected? Is it something most hubbers do and think you're terrible if you forget about them? Regardless, I think I'd still do it, as those hubber comments catch my attention and make me curious enough to check them out (and comment if I find what they've written engaging).

If this is a big deal though, I think I need to work harder at keeping notes for the few I'm sure I've managed to forget. lol

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nell, I did that for a long time, too. But when you have more hubs and have been here for longer, you'll find that you might get hundreds of comments a day. It's practically impossible at that point to return the favor.

I do try, however, to respond to the comments, if only to say thanks. Sometimes it takes me a while to get around to doing it, though. lol

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I expect it is a case by case thing. The nature of the comment is one thing to consider. I have often left comments on a hub and then never checked back to see if they replied to it. I was not asking a question or anything, just expressing my appreciation for the writer writing what they wrote and being friendly. I take no umbrage with someone not replying to a comment of mine, good chance I will never realize it anyway! Unless I post a question and check my hubtivity to see if it was approved/commented on regularly.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I am quite confident to say it is not expected. Of course, some individuals will harbor such expectations, but the decision to read and comment is usually a one-way street.

1. lyndre profile image60
      lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with WE.
      I don,t have many hubs and even fewer comments lol,so it quite easy to reply.
      I would think if you have a lot of hubs it would be very time consuming to reply to every comment.
      If I comment on someones hub it is becuase I enjoyed what I read and I am not expecting a reply.

4. nell79 profile image79

Okay, so the next question I have would be when you comment on someone else's hub, do you expect them to read and comment on yours?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, but I sometimes expect a response of some sort.  Even if its only thank you for reading.  Otherwise it does feel a little rude.

But this comment me and I'll comment you, similar to the follow me follow you things - life's too short.  Essentially I need to spend time writing, not playing games so much, and I suspect that goes for everyone?

Create content - earn money.  Be nice of course and all that gubbins - but I'm not on here 24/7 - no time.

1. Pandoras Box profile image59
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We have to be nice?   

Whoops.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just put that in for the Charming Hubber of the Year competition.

It is still running right?

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub entitled "Why I prefer unsolicited comments on hubs" - so that is my answer.

5. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

If a hubber replies to some of the comments recieved, I'm likely to comment on more of their hubs.  I don't expect them to reply to my comments or even most of the comments.  It's just nice to see that the hubber does occasionally throw in a reply. 
    One hubber though has great recipes and I've commented on several hubs.  They always reply and then return comment on one of my hubs.  It made my start feeling bad, since I don't have many interesting hubs yet and they have alot.  I'll just have to catch up a little big_smile

nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I liked that one on Fable 3! And I found it on google by accident lol

1. evvy_09 profile image60
        evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

How are you doing on that game btw?

nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't gotten to play since Saturday night, and then I played on my hubby's profile with my character, so he's further than I am. We haven't gotten too far (play time is limited) I think we just finished getting the 50 guild seals we needed for Albion to help the dweller camp and did the Mourningwood fortress mission (I was bummed that hubby was the only one who could do the first part of the fighting the hollowmen, but I got to get in there eventually, so it was all good).

I'm sure we'll get back to it this weekend! Have you updated your article yet? smile

1. evvy_09 profile image60
            evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will before friday is over.  I might have something to make it even better, if I can figure it out.

6. nell79 profile image79

Phew! Okay, good! I was having a hard time keeping up. Sometimes, if I have nothing better to do, then it's not a big deal for me to check out what other people are writing. But often it can be difficult, and I wasn't sure if it was expected.

At first it didn't even occur to me, but then I would notice that when I did leave a comment on someone else's hub, they would check out mine and do the same, and so I thought that might be the norm here.

I'll just take a look when I can, and pass when I can't smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)