I am so frustrated - referring new writers

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (74 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

There are quite a few pages written about how to put a 'join here' referral on one's profile page.

However, not a single one of those directions work. If I click on the links they provide, it says the pages aren't there.

I've got it right twice now, but every time someone joins, it goes away again. And then I've forgotten how I did it! sad

Each time, I took weeks to figure it out, and then it wasn't what I had been told to do.

Can someone who regularly works with this, please give me a step by step post how to do this (again). And please will you check it as you do it.

Then I'm going to write permanent instructions for myself on how to do it!!! smile

Thanks. smile

1. Howard S. profile image90
      Howard S.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find this completely amusing! You see, I learned it from you! I've only been on here for a month, and after a week or so I was noticing as you were, that most people didn't have it right. It was either thisisoli or darkside who said he'd learned it from you. When I asked where, he referred me to a forum, not a hub. Anyway, the easiest way (granted, it's intuitive rather than step-by-step) is to try various hubbers' sign-up links until you get one that doesn't say page not found. If it says you can't sign up because you're already signed in, that's the one to emulate!

Step-by-step procedures are helpful. I'm glad you did it.

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I kept on figuring it out, then when people signed up and took the tracker, I would have forgotten how to do it, so I had to figure it out all overte again. And it wasn't written down anywhere in easy form. So,now I've got a hub. Next time I need to do a 'sign up here' with a new tracker, I will know how! smile

1. Howard S. profile image90
          Howard S.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean by "took the tracker?" That makes it sound like a single-use code. I thought it would work for however many people bite your hook.

1. profile image0

@ Howard. My previous code stopped working. I don't know why. I'm going to try and fix this up. Apparently, my 'join heret' link with one piece of tracking code should work for all sign ups...

By 'took the tracker' I meant that I thought that the tracker could only be used by one person at one time. It seems not. smile

I need to go back to the drawing board. wink

1. Susana S profile image92
              Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever read the info on the affiliates tour? It may answer some of your questions. http://hubpages.com/tour/affiliate

1. profile image0

Yes.

Have you?

Because if you have, you will see that it doesn't give an explanation. It meurely says that the facility is available and how it will benefit the user.

smile

1. travelespresso profile image68
                  travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just had a look at it too.  It does just what you said SA. 

Also when you click on the "learn how to set up and use your tracker" that takes me directly to my profile page.  This is no help to me as a user trying to find out the information I need to use it.

1. profile image0

) Thank you. That's what I've been trying to explain. smile

2. wilderness profile image97
                  wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophia, I can't really help you with why your tracker goes away, or becomes ineffective, or whatever in the world it is doing.

What I can offer is that I set up my tracker in my profile months ago and have not touched it since, yet I have had 5 referrals sign up.  I have since set up one more in a hub, but I know that at least three of the referrals came from the profile tracker because they happened before I set up the second one.

I hope you get it sorted out.

1. profile image0

@Wilderness. Tn hank you so much. I will take you up on your kind offer. Today is very busy for me. I have to be go out in a little while. Can I be in touch later through email and I can walk you through it? Thank you so very much.

3. Pcunix profile image90
                  Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But the Learning Center DOES tell you precisely how to use trackers:

http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/url- … e-program/

They do make an error - they call a "/" a "backslash", but other than that it looks accurate.  It could be better if it showed some examples and mentioned what happens if you try to create a tracker that already exists, but it does accurately describe what needs to be done.

Does it do it well enough that a new user, already overloaded with all the things they need to learn, can understand it instantly? Probably not.

1. profile image0

Pcunix, I am NOkT asking how to use a tracker.

I was asking how to INSERT a tracker intio the Edit Perofile page.

Please give me the exact URL where it explains precisely how to insert the tracker code on one's profile so that when one clicks the words, 'sign up here', it takes one directly to the sign up page.

Incidentally, I read that page at least 20 times during the past two months. I have been referred to it incessantly. Where does it tell one how to insert the tracker into the code. Where does it tell one to go to a text box, type out the words, "Click here", highlight the words, click on the chain, insert the code, copy and cut the the link, and then insert the entire thing on one's profile page.

It doesn't.

2. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Where you have "to join Hub Pages" in your profile page it should be http://hubpages.com/_YOURTRACKERHERE/user/new/ and not http://hubpages.com/user/new/

You can find your default tracker or create a new one here: http://hubpages.com/my/trackers

Replace the YOURTRACKERHERE in http://hubpages.com/_YOURTRACKERHERE/user/new/ with your tracker.

Be sure to keep the underscore _ in there.

1. profile image0

Thanks. Now I've got the code.

How do I insert it so that when I click on the words, it goes to that page, it goes to it?

1. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see your tracker is _hub123456

So what you've got on your profile is correct.

When someone clicks on that link it will end up at http://hubpages.com/user/new/ as what's displayed to the person clicking through will not have your tracker in it, but it will already have placed a cookie in their cache (that's the bit that tracks the referral).

If you're logged in and try and try the http://hubpages.com/user/new/ link it won't work properly, but if you're not you'll see the sign up page that others do.

1. profile image0

Thank you. smile

2. profile image0
          ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey thanks, I wanted this information for the longest time.

1. profile image0

@ssaul. Well, I wrote a hub so that I won't forget again. I made it simple so that I could understand it...

<link snipped, no self-promoting links>

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
              schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean sophia, I get really confused about those things too. We have some great wizards on here thou wink

There's that and a lot of other information about referrals and trackers here: http://hubpages.com/hub/tracking

1. profile image0

@Darkside, actually, No. I've have read 20 or 30 different lot of instructions on Hubpages during the past two months, and every single one are rich in telling what the benefits of the referrals are, but when one comes to following the instructions how to do it, they have out major gaps.

In order to write clear instructions, one must have a step by step process and explain everything that happens.

Now, let me go through what your hub says.

1) You say that Hub pages gives one a tracker, but you don't say where people must go to get the tracker.

2) The one bit of code you give isn't the right code for the profile page for signing newbies up. I can assure you that just using that code in the edit profile page will not lead new writers to get a 'click on here to sign up for hub pages'. What your code is being used for to get the benefit of two hours of clicks from somebody else's site. The majority of people who are asking about the trackers aren't asking for that reason. They simply want to sign up members, and while you and many others have written about trackers, none of you have give a clear, concise, step by step process for doing so. I just have.

3)The problem with the 'link to this page' share it button is that one cannot link to a newbie sign up form. Clicking on the 'share it' button generates a tracking number, not code for the newbie sign up form. One can just as easily get the tracking code under the URL Trackers section under 'my account'. The issue has never been where to get the tracker code. The issue is how does one get the tracker code connected to the words, 'click here' on one's profile page to enable a newbie to sign up on a sign up page. Nobody has ever explained that clearly and concisely.

So, while you have mentioned the code for the new sign up, you don't explain how the hubber must use it, and how they must insert it into the profile.

I have.

<link snipped, no self-promoting links>

See this "What your code is being used for to get the benefit of two hours of clicks from somebody else's site." is incorrect.

I don't even know what you mean by "two hours of clicks".

Trackers do two things.

I suggest you learn them before you try and set me straight.

1. profile image0

@ darkside. I see you removed the link to your article from the above post when I pointed out that it doesn't focus on how to insert the tracker into the Profile page.

That makes it rather difficult for me to go back and read your wording with regards to the two hours of 'earning capacity or clicks or revenue or whatever' that hub pages offers.

smile

1. Pcunix profile image90

I think you have confused the "two hours" with trackers to other peoples hubs.  Those links get you credit for two hours after someone clicks them.  That 120 minutes has nothing to do with referral signups.

I didn't remove it. Moderators did. As they did yours.

The fact of the matter is this, before a person even gets to learning how Referrals and Trackers work one would expect them to be publishing hubs already. If they leap frog that lesson then they certainly don't deserve to be referring other writers to publish if they themselves don't know how to publish.

In the process of doing that they will learn how to create a link within a hub, the same applies to creating a link in a profile.

Before you start telling people where they've gone wrong, it is best if you yourself know how it really works. And I won't continue to spoon feed that information to you in a forum thread only to have you take those details and publish another hub on it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophia, the disconnect here is obvious to me, or at least I think it is.

You're thinking that if you want to get the benefit of someone signing up, you MUST send them directly to the sign-up page.  That's not true - actually, it's probably better to send them to a Hub about the benefits of Hubbing, which will give them further impetus to join!  You still get the benefit of the referral, even if they browse dozens of Hubs before they sign up.

The extra bits you include in your "how to" Hub are how to create your own tracker, and how to create a hyperlink using it.

I agree it's useful to tell people where the trackers are, but I can also see why Darkside didn't think it necessary to explain how to create a hyperlink using the "chain" symbol. That's something every Hubber should be doing all the time on their Hubs - it's exactly the same. 

Oh yes, and I can confirm that you don't need a new tracker every time.  I've only used three in three years.  They're all still working.

1. profile image0

@Marisa, so how do you think those of us who have already signed up find out how to put the link into our profile page?

Sorry, there is no disconnect. Darkside responded to my question about how to insert the link (and he answered accurately on the forum). However, he told me to read his hub which didn't give that information.

Why would I want to read his hub when it was for people that hadn't yet signed up?

Respectfully, I disagree with you.

"That's something every Hubber should be doing all the time on their Hubs - it's exactly the same."

That line of reasoning is exactly why most people cannot write accurate instruction manuals. smile

3. Ellarose92 profile image60
    Ellarose92posted 13 years ago

Very useful tips! I've been so confused about this!

4. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

It took me a year to learn it....lol

5. CARIBQUEEN profile image64
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

Darkside - thanks! You have given me a bright side. Never knew this information.

6. profile image0

Listen eveeryone, I couldn't have worked it out without a little contribution  from everybody. Generally, it's difficult to explain technical things to people because one has to find words that get away from buzz words. When people are new, they don't know the buzz words, so each time one uses a buzz word, one has to explain what the buzz word is.
    ha
    Also, when one is explaining how to do things, one quite often has to state what seems obvious to more experienced people. So, if one doesn't describe that box that pops up, if a different box pops up, then the person trying to do something, gets it wrong and doesn't know why.

Every little step has to be broken down and explained fully. That is why so many technical manuals are badly written. The writers are technically skilled but aren't particularly good writers. And good writers don't always understand the technical aspects. It's a rare marriage.

Anyway, I won't ask this particular questions again.

I will let you in on a secret, though. I still haven't figured out feeds. Again, it's because every time I ask a question, the question isn't understood either probably because I'm not using the buzz words correctly... smile

But one day, I am going to understand feeds, and then I'm going to write a hub that I understand so I won't forget it again!!!!!

thanks for all your contributons.

I'm going to disagree just a little. No a lot, because there are many poor explanations about, but just consider this:  for most things, if you truly assumed your reader knew NOTHING, you'd need to write an encyclopedia before you could even get close to the real explanation.

So, we have to assume knowledge. I do agree many "experts" assume far too much, but often their intent is to write for people who already have most of what they need.

Your explanation  will still be found to be confusing and incomplete by some, I'm quite sure. And no, I do NOT want you to "fix" it smile

1. profile image0

@ Pcunix. You are perfectly correct, and I am aware of that. That's why I put a note at the bottom that said if someone didn't understand to email me and I would try to make it e. even more clear.

It's also absolutely true about having to assume a level of knowledge. I guess lots of us don't have it and we're too embarrassed to say, "Hey, I don't know what you're talking about." That would make us look absolutely dumb when apparently everybody else is getting it.

However, one of the things I long learned in college days was that I was always the one asking 'dumb' questions and when I got tired of it, there were always some students would come to me and tell that they needed me to ask questions because they also didn't understand it.

So, Pcunix, I still  have a mass to learn. But I reckon I'm good at writing complex things in a simple way so that can be my contribution! smile

Exactly. It's obvious from the responses that quite a few folks needed it. 

Those of us who find these things are "obvious" will seldom even think that exposing something like that is worth doing. That's our loss, of course, because so many things we think are so easy really are not - we simply have so much prior knowledge and have had it for so long that we just can't see where anyone could get confused!

It's funny, though: today I was trying to follow some very techy instructions and ran into the same kind of "one thing left out" and it annoyed me greatly - but I know I do the same thing myself.

1. profile image0

Yup!!! But so long as you all keep explaining to me until I get it, I will eventually get it. I'm very willing to learn. smile And I'm always grateful when others take time out of their very busy days and donate it to me. ) It's a generous thing to do. smile

7. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

This is FANTASTIC SA.  Thank you so much.  I've been here a long time now and I've read a lot of material about trackers. 

I'd even tried to use them but I was never confident they were working as they should and my stats confirmed that view.

I followed your steps and I now have a working tracker.  YEAH.  Roll on sign ups!  smile

Two points though
    1. you say to enter the tracker in an existing hub text box and then delete it.  Why wouldn't you save that text box so that you have a tracker link on that hub?

2.  the way this is set up it takes a new user directly to the sign up page.  What do I do if I want them to go to more information about Hubpages?

Thanks very much.  You have made my day!

1. profile image0

@travelespresso.

1)
      Because, as I discovered, when someone signed up, the link didn't work anymore. You needa different tracker for each individual that signs up. So, as far as I know, one will have to redo it each time someone signs up, which is what was happening to me!

2) All the other guys cover that very thoroughly. Darkside's link, which is in his post a few posts up, explains that very well.

I think you are still confused somewhere. You do not need a new tracker for every sign up.

1. profile image0

@Pcunix. Okay, thanks for telling me that. smile

How come my tracker stopped signing up????

Not knowing what you did or why you think it stopped, I can't say.

1. profile image0

Okay. Back to the drawing board. wink

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophia, you don't have to make a new tracker each time someone signs up. I believe Darkside is referring to making different trackers for different functions, not always a sign up tracker.

I just signed out and went to your profile and clicked on the link and it worked fine. It took me to sign up for a new account page. Is that the page you want?

1. profile image0

Yes, but I had to get another tracker to get it to work again. It stopped working after someone signed up. I don't know why that is. I could go back and put in the existing tracker. I will experiment and see what happens. However, it wasn't working yesterday.

3. darkside profile image63

If that were the case I would have had to have made 4277 individual tracking URLs.

8. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Not related but to add to discussion -

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1452406

9. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

The real question here is why you think they have stopped working?

We know they do not, but you are seeing or doing something that makes you think they are.

1. profile image0

@ Pcunix Because when I logged out of my account and clicked on the 'click here" link, it didn't take me to the 'sign up page."

We would need to see what you had in there..

1. profile image0

Wilderness is going to help me, Pcunix. Then I can update my hub. smile

So many mistakes, errors, etc. when one is learning this stuff!!! smile  Too tired, though, tonight. Will take a look at it tomorrow.

By the way, you would undoubtedly do someone else a huge favor if you detail the source of your confusion after you find out what it really is.

If it confused you, it is a sure bet that someone else will have the same problem.

1. profile image0

The confusion was what to do with the code once I had it. Everybody kept telling me how to do the code but nobody explained how one got it into the profile.

No, there's more than that - there is the mysterious "it only worked once" issue.

Are you unconfused on the "getting it into the profile" thing? You now understand that it is no different than putting a link into a text capsule? Highlight your words, click on the chain, type or paste in the "http://hubpages.com/YOURTRACKER/user/new" ?  No need to do it in a text capsule or anywhere else?

1. profile image0

Yes, I understand that. I still canu't figure what I'm doing wrong with the 'it only worked once issue'.

Give me five minutes. Let me look at this again. I'm more focused now...smile

Thanks Pcunix. You're a good guy. actually everybody who has tried to assist is a good guy/girl! smile

Believe me, I understand confusion and have great empathy for it.

Earlier today I was trying to follow really simple directions that had to do with opening a folder, but for some reason I got it in my head that I was supposed to open a file in that folder. As the software wanted a folder, all of the files in there were grayed out and couldn't be selected.

Stubbornly clinging to my assumption, I spent the next ten minutes trying to figure out if the software was looking for a specific extension and that I might just rename a file to fix it.

That was fruitless (of course) and I spent another few minutes pacing about and cursing the people who wrote the documentation.

Then I read the docs again, this time quite slowly, and said "Duh.."

I DO understand frustration and confusion smile

2. profile image0

Okay, I've got mud all over my face. Now it works.

I think I finally have it. I've put it back the way it was. No to go confess all, rewrite my hub, and make a complete twit of myself.

Thank you Pcunix. smile

10. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think it's always best to write what you really know and understand. If there are suggestions of how to improve the sites features, HP has a specific forum for it. smile

11. profile image0

Darkside, I've obviously offended you when you were so kind to me in taking time to explain something to me.

I apologize. I had no wish to offend you. I was just trying to tell you that the hub you referred me to didn't explain how to insert the the code into the profile. And you had already explained the other stuff to me so I wasn't sure why you referred me to it. I already knew how else one could use referrals. I haven't got there yet. I try to learn one thing at a time so that I don't get muddled up.

I've just been quite frustrated that while things are explained in general terms, it's really difficult to understand if bits of it are left out.

Also, when I write hubs for newbies on hubpages, it's not because I'm trying to earn anything out of it. I won't earn anything out of it because none of them are optimized and it's only as a service to the community so that they can see how to do it very easily.

If you want to write a hub on how feeds work, I won't write one. At this point, I've lost count of the number of posts and hubs and explanations I've read elsewhere on the web about feeds, but none of my very basic questions have been answered. In other words, most of it is written for people who already know the basics. I need to know the basics! It's really difficult to explain what I want to know because every time I ask, the question is misunderstood and I get given the same information I've already read.

I'm a great believer in sharing information that benefits people. I'm not in the least competitive.

If you feel that you do not wish to assist me anymore, I understand.

If you go back to the post where you think I've tried to refer you to a hub you will see I am responding to ssaul, who was responding to me.

ssaul said "Hey thanks, I wanted this information for the longest time." (if you are in chronological view you will see that she has quoted me)

I then quoted ssaul with a link to my hub on tracking if she wanted to know more.

Highlighting text, using the chain icon, and creating a hyperlink is something that people should have learned before they start to refer other people. If I were to rehash all the basic steps then it would be as PCUnix has inferred, that each article would become rather large and encyclopedic.

The thing with Trackers is it is advanced information. Even people who have been using HubPages for a couple of years will often be surprised that the one tracker can provide two functions. And on occasion I still come across people who have used the URL that shows them their own tracker stats being used in their profile. When I've come found such instances I've sent these people messages to let them know that they would be getting no benefit from the link, and give them instructions on how to change it so it works.

Feel free to write and publish a hub on feeds. I don't think I've ever used a feed in any of my hubs so my experience with them is nil.

1. profile image0

Darkside, I've used the chain and the insert tool many times. I just didn't realize that one used it to insert a tracker. smile

I don't think others do either.

Okay, thank you. When I've finally figured out the things I want to know about feeds, I will write one about it.

Many thanks for your help. And I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. Thank you again for your kindness in giving me the information I needed. smile

Why would anyone not understand that? Isn't it obvious that a tracker is just another link?

Why would you think it is anything different?

1. profile image0

Because Pcunix, I used to be a programmer many years ago and I don't take anything for granted. I never assume.  I'm anal that way. smile

It's one of those traits that sabotage one when one should take things for granted and puts one ahead of the pack when one shouldn't take something for granted.

Obviously, at this late stage of my life, I haven't quite succeeded in knowing the difference! smile

12. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

this stuff changes alot . just start fresh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)