What if Hubpages and Google Adsense shuts down today?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (66 posts)
  1. accofranco profile image79
    accofrancoposted 13 years ago

what will you do? do you have the legal rights to sue them for damages or whatsoever?

what are your backup plans should this eventuality occurs now?

What backup plans does hubpages have to compensate every hubber and to recover our hubs should this happen? start now to prepare, the future is pregnant...who could ever believe that the GIANT WALL STREET would crash one day? Not even the Billy Boy Stock Brokers quoting and copying numbers they know little or nothing about...not even The DOW JONES guys! What if?

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, you can't sue them.

Nor do they have any responsibility for your hubs - YOU should be saving them so that you could use them somewhere else if need be.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've recently taken your advice and saved a copy of my hubs should I want to use them elsewhere.  If no-one is interested in what I write, then I guess it would be time to find another hobby.  I don't make megabucks from HP, but even if I did, I'd be wary that it could go 'poof'

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Take your stuff to Gather or Snipsly is what I would suggest if they shut down today.  You do have you writings on a back up file somewhere, don't you?  If not, then might I suggest that you do.

3. pinkdaisy profile image60
      pinkdaisyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi everyone, I have been reading this thread and I am wondering if something is changing on Hubpages. Is the Amazon affiliate program going away?

Thanks ahead of time smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I would find something else to do, while they are shut down. The probability that they would be down for an extended period of time, longer than 15 minutes, is like that of a god actually existing. lol

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I actually do think like this and I think everyone should. I have a large number of sites that are completely independent of Hubpages, so that won't affect them.

Because ebay did at one time consider not working with HP, I've started to develop my own ebay sites separate of HP.

Most of my HP content would not work off of HP, so I don't have it backed up. The exception is my Adsense-centric hubs. Those are backed up and could be used as content on other sites as soon as the caches disappear. (I prefer no duplicate content.)

Because of the Affiliate Nexus laws spreading across the country, I have started swapping out all of my Amazon links for ebay links on my hubs - or at least including some ebay products - so my hubs will have something marketable on them, if this happens to me.

I have also identified several large-scale merchants similar to Amazon and ebay, who already charge Massachusetts residents sales tax. So an affiliate nexus law won't phase them and they shouldn't cut me, if Massachusetts passes one.

Over the next few months I will build 25 to 50 niches sites around these merchants. They appear to be of sound fiscal health and shouldn't declare bankruptcy on me any time soon.

Finally I am building heavy-content, high-quality local travel niche sites designed to get paid advertising from actual advertisers. So If Google decides to completely do in affiliate sites, I'll another stream of revenue. I'm also designing a line of Cape Cod merchandise that I'll be selling as well.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

1. Aiden Roberts profile image68
      Aiden Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nelle

So you haven't really given it much thought then smile

P.S thanks for your support the other night, I got my Adsense back today.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh I am so pleased Aiden smile)

2. CASE1WORKER profile image62
        CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's really good news! it has been in my mind since it happenned- you were so upset and there was nought someone like me could do for you

2. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, your the first one I heard that is trying to sell ad spots on their sites. Yet that is actually what all long term website owners should shoot for.

I know a few people who make many thousands a month just off ad spots on their sites. I myself make a few hundred a month doing that.

In time I hope to make thousands off ad spots. It's amazing how so few do that. hmm

4. accofranco profile image79

Nelle seems to be the only one with a solid backup plans should this eventuality occurs...@Cagsil, you are really serious about God's inexistence why please? i don't want you to be like that French philosopher please, change your belief, there is a supreme God, believe it today i am telling you as a caring friend and as a  business associate...

i want to hear your plans, because i may sue some folks should this happen without pre-informing me..but how can they if this should be an unforeseen occurrence?...lol...i pray it doesn't cos, i love it here...BIG TIME! and am sticking with them till death do us part....lol...hey Hubp..i love you...so...so...lol..

You have nothing to sue over and there are no gods, get over both of those points.

Backup your hubs, Diversify.  Do more than just Adsense and HubPages. 

And no, Nellie is not the only one with plans. You are probably one of the few without.

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Surely you must be joking. I'll leave it at that. hmm

5. profile image0

Accofranco there is nothing to sue over. Affiliates have no legal rights or recourse. Merchants and Google have written their affiliate agreements as has HP very carefully. We can be cut at any time. Period.

October 2003 my affiliate income for the month was about $15,000. Then there was the infamous Florida Google update of November 16, 2003. My Google traffic declined by 99 percent. My December 2003 affiliate income was under $25.

Lesson learned. I'm never without a backup plan.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ouch Nelle,

Well actually ouch doesn't even come close to describing that horrible situation. Most folk would have let go and moved onto other things, you have stuck to your guns.

1. rmcrayne profile image92
        rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AND moved on to other things.

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I am just starting to branch out into the big wide world of affiliate marketing, and to do that you really need to have your own sites. I don't want to be dependent on HP alone because who knows what can happen tomorrow.
    It's a huge learning curve again though, but I'll get there! I have to. I  not been able to find a job so need to make my own work and money.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm probably not too much further along that curve than you, this year is all about diversification for me, I have the domains there waiting to be developed, now I just need the discipline!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Judging by the income you have divulged so far, you are a long way along the road from me!!
        I've also got the sites started, but getting them up and running is quite another matter.
        It would help if my internet access was faster than dial-up. Gotta laugh at Orange.
        "You are allowed to use 5Gbs of bandwidth per month at 3G, after which we cut your speed to 128Mb".
        It would be nice if they gave me the coverage to get 3G in the first place! And when they cut my speed, 128Mb is nothing more than a dream.
        Yet I have to pay the same money as those who live in areas of good coverage.

1. profile image0

Well, I mean in terms of diversification, I am doing well as ryankett on Hubpages and OK on another revenue sharing site under a different name, but I rely almost entirely on AdSense and Amazon; so in that respect I too need to diversify and I am only just getting into the habit of building on my own sites to achieve that smile

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
            Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is one of my goals, but not sure how to do it.

1. profile image0

I suggest starting out with Google Blogger, building your first site there, and then graduating to Wordpress after that.

I'm not sure where to go after Wordpress, I'm still at the Wordpress stage.

1. Uzdawi profile image73
                Uzdawiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps Joomla?

2. Mikeydoes profile image43
                Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Will certainly look in to it, thanks.

7. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Plan on it.

Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but at some point HP glory will fade. Websites come  and go fast in the information age.

Best save your work and not put all your eggs in one basket.

8. profile image0

Izzy you've come so far in a short amount of time. I know that you're going to do great. HP is a great place to learn and earn. But we do need to diversify.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Thanks nelle smile
      You've been inspirational to a lot of us. You have shown us it can work!

9. accofranco profile image79

@Izzy, for the job issue, check out a hub i just published, i believe it will guide you...

no one seem to be making comment about Adsense shuting down...only HP, does it mean you guys see Adsense as untouchable super heroe?..lol...no one is above eventuality. i love HP.

i am so addicted here to go else where...

Adsense is far less likely to shut down than many other things - Microsoft is far more likely to go  out of business than Adsense.

Google has its challenges in the coming years, but they are unlikely not to weather them.

1. ThomasE profile image68
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

BUT... adsense can cut your account at any time. Even if adsense doesn't shut down... you still need to diversify your income.

Absolutely.  No argument with that at all.

10. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Then it would be bad news, but still I'd manage online. I think it's best to have a few fingers in many pies and eat as much as you like in this business, although set some solid foundational websites of your own first!

11. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

Currently I am slowly building my hubpages income. So I have to think about backup plan after some time.

12. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I'd thank my lucky stars Amazon affiliates is still there.

1. iQwest profile image48
      iQwestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more!  For the short time I've been writing on HubPages, I've been floored as to the clear potential to earn Amazon sales and the ability of a HubPage to get a solid search engine ranking.

In following the same SEO and backlink tactics, admittedly inexperienced at both, there's no comparison to what I've been able to do with the sites I've started building versus what a HubPage can achieve.  The HubPage Hubs have far outperformed anything I've done on my own to this point.

2. accofranco profile image79
      accofrancoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So you think Amazon has a longevity chance than HP? That's a fallacy...i am praying and fasting for Amazon to close today...i have not made a single sale...all clicks..clicks...no sales....i am beginning to suspect they are playing pranks on me....should i confirm it to be true...Amazon will be frowning to a New York court very soon to defend their....lol.....

You've written no sales hubs, so you will make no money. I have written oven 100 sales hubs, and I make money almost every day, although not as much as some of the pro's here :shrug:  If I were less lazy, I know I could make a lot of money from them... I made $30 yesterday just from one sale.

you may be right...but why did you say that? did you went through my hubs?

I had a look through your hubs to see if there was any obvious reason that you were not getting sales.

2. leahlefler profile image96
        leahleflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I certainly hope amazon doesn't shut down. I've only been here for a short time and I've made three sales - I am grateful for the opportunity to make a little extra cash via the Adsense and Amazon programs!

13. TinaTango profile image70
    TinaTangoposted 13 years ago

I would miss out on a total of about an average 1.50 dollars....haha!

That's huge money to let go...you see why i said i would sue some folks...common!...let's pull heads together and make a legal yummy out of it should such happen..i bet we would be richer than all late Michael's get rich for a legal accusation on Michael folks....after they calculate the interest on $1.5, don't be shocked if we realize $1.5099...lol....that could make one richer...what do you think Tina?

14. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Not only do I not have all my eggs in one basket, but I have everything I've ever written (and any pictures, links, videos, etc.) associated with it; backed up, in multiple, individual, files; as well as filed in "groupings" (for easy "re-assembly" if/when the need arose).

I prefer HubPages be around forever, of course; but I'd just re-package and re-purpose whatever I've collected; and "do the next thing".  Writer's do not "live by Google alone".  Besides, there'll always be someone who wants to buy ad space, and there'll always be someone who wants people to sell their stuff.

No matter what someone's plans are or aren't for his writing and Hubs, I hope there's nobody who isn't bothering to back up his work.  You never know what you may want to do or not do, or may want to sell or not sell.  It's so easy to keep all kinds of back-ups; and you never know, if nothing else, you may want to print your stuff and save it for your great, great, grandchildren to find one day.

15. accofranco profile image79

@Lisa, you are the second to give me another horizon of inspiration...its quite unbelievable to know that i have not been backing up any of my hubs until this moment..and i am still not planning to do that for now...just because i am believing that HP would last for another decade or two, and by then, my charity org. (IFF) must have taken an exorbitant look to stay away from HP earnings or even Adsense whatever...

as regards to printing the hubs for some million generation to witness...haha..that's a good kinky idea when we have mots and termites and name it...just kidding, i love the idea of that, but hupbages will still be there for your grate grandchildren to read, just tell whoever would be around to inscribe the hubpages web url leading to your profile on the grave's monument so that when they come by to drop flowers...oh granny...what's this url? i am off to check it out...and there they go...wow...granny was a writer...a greedy writer...wishing to earn millions from her kinky write ups?

before you know it, you have giving them another inspiraton not to worry or weep about granny's death...or don't you guys think so?

16. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

big_smile

17. donnatru profile image78
    donnatruposted 13 years ago

If Google and HP instantly shut down that would be shocking. But, it's a thought and for myself I really dont have a plan B.

you must be very honest...i like your type..no need to lie...lol

18. oderog profile image47
    oderogposted 13 years ago

If Google and Hubpages were to stop today, I would start from where I have reached but I would be taken 3 years back as Hubpages have made things pretty easy such that starting stand alone blog has become very difficult. Anyway whatever has a beginning must have an ending.

19. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Suggesting that HubPages shuts down today as intimating its a business concern that ceases to operate, well, I feel some venture capitalists are going to be severely pissed off, let alone all of us Hubbers.

Google AdSense also shutting down as a operating business concern for Google. A Zombie Apocalypse will happen before Google relinquishes AdSense.

I don't know about zombie apocalypse (we have a town bylaw against that) but Google sure as heck won't be dropping out of sight without a fight.

They do have problems to face. Microsoft, Facebook and maybe someday Twitter. But, as others have noted, until people no longer search the Internet, somebody will be selling ads and the big somebody is likely to remain Google.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the byelaw thing.

Did read that Facebook searching was starting to catch up with Google searching.  I think I read that.

20. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Ad-block plus/Adstop type of plugins are likely to kill PPC business. (this includes Adwords/Facebook/Y!/MSN adcenter).

Yes. FB PPC is more profitable for some niches and those who failed to get better conversion from G are moving to FB.

I don't really believe that, because ad blocker plugins have been around for years now, but most people don't even know they exist.  Each of the main browsers relies on Ads for some of its income... even Mozilla (who set amazon cookies)... and so it is in none of their interest to kill the golden goose.

Until they come fitted as standard, they don't pose much of a threat, as only techie people (who don't click many links anyway) will know about them.

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People with limited internet experience fall in that category. Those who are using dial-up connection(techie or not) also benefit from running ad-blocker because adsense/msn video ads get blocked once this plugin is enabled and in turn saves bandwidth. I agree that mozilla is stuffing ebay/amazon cookies in the search widget but those two programs got nothing to do with PPC. Ads for PPC are contextual and are generated when website is loaded. By the way to avoid those ads even opera released ad blocker from version 9. So it's not about standard but related more towards ad-annoyance.

2. Pcunix profile image90

If Adblockers become common enough to actually hurt business, advertisers will simply revert to text.  I've been using text as an alternative for some time and will be expanding that. It is simple enough - you run Adsense if there is JS and run a text ad if there is not.

21. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

I had not thought of it at all- whoops
    i will speak to the computer geek who masquerades as my daughter and ask her re doing the saving etc- better get a memory stick and lock it in the safe.
    As for diversifying to other sites- I think it is a very good idea and i did have a sort of plan for year two to start at another place- however I will be reading what everyone has to say before I start as my knowledge is rather limited.
    Adsense is starting to pay off in a little way and Amazon is starting to earn so I feel like i am doing it now. However having a penchant for writing history hubs I dont think I will be the biggest earner.- Occasionally I let myself write a sales hub but I dont like doing them!

22. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Industry prospects and faith that HubPages and/or Google are going to be around for a very long time aside, I still think each writer has to save his work (and in a way that will make easiest anything he may even consider wanting/needing to do something else with for one reason or another).  It has nothing to do with how well HubPages or Google keep doing.  It's just about knowing that, for one reason or another, you shouldn't count on someone else to safeguard efforts that took a lot of time and effort. Being "ready for anything" never seems all that important until that "anything" happens.

23. profile image0

Amazon affiliates in the US are very nervous. Affiliates in Colorado, Rhode Island and North Carolina have already been thrown out of the Amazon program because of affiliate nexus laws.

These same kinds of laws are now under consideration in Texas, California, and Connecticut. (And don't think because you're in Canada you shouldn't worry - HP is located in California.)

They have been successfully defeated in several other states.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what are affiliate nexus laws?

Laws dealing with whether the affiliate is required to collect sales tax for the State.

24. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I am trying to move more towards freelance writing and finding clients or sites that pay on publication, sites that don't rely on AdSense.

25. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

There's so much to learn.  I'm still trying to build up more hubs in addition to my regular work.  Having a backup copy for your own protection is a must.

26. lakeerieartists profile image65
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

I think that since no one can predict the future, diversification in any venture, online or offline is a good idea.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't build up an income from one location, it just means to always continue to look for other ways to balance your earnings.

This is just common sense, because there are no guarantees in life.

27. profile image0

So true lakeerieartists. It's a fine balance between diversification and have too many irons in the fire.

28. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

Nellie seems to have the current state about sewn up !

However - The more likely issue would be more like the 2003 Google update scenario - where the net, or the providers, come under some control that localises or limits some aspect of the complexity.  A hub that works world or nation wide would be a pretty poor thing if it was limited to viewability in (say) a state.  Or only visible in certian situations, or had to pass some new censorship condition. Or had to pay someone to be shown on the net in the first place and so having to share more of the revenue, a situaltion like Hubpages having to pay some onerous charge that raised what they had to charge (through their percentage).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)