jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

I denied comments to a Hub...why are the comments appearing anyway?

1. Sally's Trove profile image85
    Sally's Troveposted 9 years ago

This is disconcerting.  I received three comments to a Hub of mine that I did not approve. I was conscientious about using the option in the Comments capsule to let me approve or deny comments.  However, all three comments to my Hub are showing up on HubPages, whether I'm logged in or not, even though I didn't approve them.

I'm going to permanently delete all three comments with apologies to their authors.  Why is this feature not working?  Did I miss something?

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

Were you logged in or out when you saw the comments?   

If you're logged in, you can see comments that the public can't.  Try looking again when you're not logged in, and see if they're still visible.

Sally's Troveposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Marisa for your quick reply.  I explained that in my opening question.

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

D'uh, that'll teach me to skim, won't it?

If I'm going to deny a comment, I usually do delete it.  What's the point of just denying it, because all it does is clutter up space for no reason?   

If I deny a comment, it's usually because it's spam, anyway.

Sometimes you need to hold on to a comment to find out if the comment's author really meant what he said.  It's a courtesy.  I know the author, I believe the author made a mistake, and I emailed him to fix it.  Meanwhile, his comment shows up anyway in the public arena.

There's a bug here.

4. ProCW profile image82
    ProCWposted 9 years ago

Hey Sally,

You could always go into your edit section and click on the don't display this capsule option, until you decide whether or not to delete the entire comment section or just the specific comment(s)... just an option... smile

ProCW

Thanks ProCW, but that's not an option.  I don't want to not display all comments via not displaying the comments section.  I only want to exercise the option to deny individual comments through the feature HP provides. smile

5. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

We haven't heard any similar reports lately.  All I can think of is that when you clicked Deny the communication never reached our server.    If you want email team@hubpages.com and tell us which hub, and which comments, we can investigate a little more.   Without that information all we can really do is speculate wildly.

Thanks, Paul, for a quick response.  That the communication never reached your server is a mystery defying logic.  I will email the team with the details. 

Regards, Sally

6. gamergirl profile image59
    gamergirlposted 9 years ago

Sally-

Most often, comments that appear on my hubs will list as "Shown" when I view them while logged in.  So, unless you have the default for your Hubs being that the comments must all be approved prior to being shown, they're just going to show anyway. smile

*leaves a hug*

I really needed that hug.  TY so much.  Yes, I have it as a default that all comments must be approved.

working