HP Ad Program Issues

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 13 years ago

The new HP ad program may reduce Google and Amazon income more than new money gained. My CTR at Google has been terrible since I implemented the program. Traffic is increasing after the Google BS dance, but CTR remained low... very low. eCPM also was lower than normal on the clicks received. I turned the program off this afternoon and within a few hours my CTR returned to normal with a higher eCPM.

I plan on continuing the testing, but I am concerned the new program may cannibalize more than it provides. Anyone else with an opinion? It is too early to determine a lot, but...

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pretty sure this is niche specific. Those people who write on mass market, large volume subjects seem to be doing well, but - this is just my opinion based on a few days - those (me included) who tend to write in more narrow financial type arenas are likely to see a loss.

My eCPM from adsense is running at about 35% of previous levels and the income from the HP program is running at around that same level - so a roughly 30% drop in value per 1,000 impressions so far. Coupled with a 40% drop in traffic and around a 75% loss of income from Amazon and Ebay (hard to be certain yet). sad

But - I will start wring about celebrity break ups and footballers' wives immediately. lol

Kidding aside - I am sure it will take more than a few weeks to settle out and we have seen a big drop in US based traffic.

Hubpages is implementing some changes at the moment - what effect they will have and how long it will take for the changes to make a difference remains to be seen. I certainly hope they recover their previous authority and I know they are working hard to do so.

It is just too soon to tell right now. As darkside mentioned - there is a lot more going on than just a new ad program. If that was all that was going on - I would probably switch it off, but who knows where the roller coaster will end?

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, we just don't know.

I suspect that we will see a recovery of some sort, but I think a full recovery is optimistic.

I would take a partial recovery though right now, as I'm sure most would!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well - you better start working on it then. I know I am. big_smile

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

For me the Hubpages Ad Program is currently beneficial, far exceeding AdSense losses. But, obviously it is early days smile

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I don't know if this is going to help, because I am not as well versed as others...however, I think something Darkside said in another forum thread might apply.

Google is eCPM and the new HP program is CPM. Now, I don't know the difference between those two, but Darkside made a point to point it out to someone else. I'm pretty sure there was a reason, not that I know it.

If anyone cares to explain the difference, then by all means do. So, I am not sure if I helped or not. I guess I'll find out. lol

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

My early impressions (impressions, not hard data!) are that adsense has been hurt with the ad program, but that the total income is up considerably.

My adsense was already far down from early February, but with the ad program total income is now about what it was then.  And that is with still pathetic traffic figures.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My February is lower than it's been in ages (but I have some Hubs that keep getting stolen, then I'll go through the whole thing about reporting it, and then I'll see earnings go up on them again.  That's something I've had going on for ages now, and I've seen reason to think a whole lot more "duplicate" (stolen) stuff is out there that I haven't even looked into.  Anyway, February was really low, but then, in the last week or so things look like they settled a little higher (but nowhere near as high as they used to be).

Ad program-wise, it looks to me as if I may come out ahead; even if Ad Sense stays on this low side (but that's only as of today).  I haven't been "studying" traffic (I never do), but in the last couple of weeks I've had a few days with little but blue arrows.  Then there'd be a day with a few more reds.  Today, I think, I've had the most red arrows I've seen in a long time.  What I've seen, though, is that Hubs that once didn't get much traffic seem to now be getting at least a little more; and those that did better aren't necessarily doing as well.  (A shifting of what's getting traffic.)

I'm hoping some of the Ad Sense stuff comes back just a little more (or else that I can improve it myself), and either of those happens (and if the new program remains somewhat similar to what it's been), I'll be REALLY happy.   As it is this few days into the new program, and less than halfway through March, it does look to me as if I'm likely to come out better off than before.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Did you read relache's hub about her analysis so far? There is a blog entry and also one of her hubs.

The HP ads have done much better than adsense for me also, although yesterday I had some very decent adsense clicks which exceeded HP earnings yesterday.

I think everything is going to need more time. I can see why they limited it to a smaller cross section first. I do wish that we could analyze which hubs are doing better with the HP ads. Almost all of my hubs are informational rather than product/sales based. I'm simply observing traffic, where it's coming from and which search words are bringing google.com traffic, hubs with red arrows.. but so far I can't say that I see a problem.

6. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

Are there any problems turning the program on and off? I can't think of any but I often miss the obvious.

Do you think, though, that what you're seeing with Google may just be part of the overall "upheaval" - and maybe you should hold off on turning off the new program? It's not my business, of course, but I do seem to be seeing a slow improvement going on with mine.  Sometime within the last week or so, I had a couple of really awful days.  The last few days have been more in keeping with my previous "low" days (as opposed to reaching new lows, the way things did recently).

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I just checked my HP Ad program after four days and wow, I earned more than what I expected, nearly 20 USD. My Adsense is still higher daily comparing to it.

I reviewed my last month daily CTR and eCPM, they are really low. Prior to the G algo change I noticed already a low CTR and eCPM, so I wlll not switch the HP Ad program off. My traffic is back to the pre Google algo change this past three days, but the eCPM and CTR are both low still.

eCPM I think is affected by status of the site plus the bidding among the advertisers for the price of the adverts.

The CTR in my opinion is low for two reasons, either your hubs are good so they don't click anymore or when they see your page, they stay for a second or two then go back to the search engine again without clicking any ads.

I think the CTR for adsense will be affected by the HP Ad Program??? but I don't know how will you know up to what extent??

8. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 13 years ago

I'll explain later the difference between eCPM and CPM.

But, unless I am mistaken, the new Ad program is CPM. They are paying per impression.

So those ads may get clicked on, which means you are missing out on an Adsense click, but you do get money for the actual pageview.

What that means is that even if no ads are getting clicked, you are earning some money. Even if an Adsense ad is getting clicked, you're ALSO earning for the pageview.

Now I had the benefit of experiencing the ad program PRIOR to the Google Algorithm change, so things are a little out of whack and it may be hard for many to get a firm grasp of what's happening in terms of earning potential, but pre-Google slap I did get to see a huge difference, a positive increase, in overall earnings.

There were less clicks on Adsense ads, but the gains I made more than made up for it.

I will publish a hub about eCPM. For now just completely ignore the eCPM column at Adsense. It is one step away from being completely meaningless. And as such you won't make any sense of it if you compare the Adsense eCPM with the HP Ads CPM.

Do you know - in general - what an "average" CPM might be?  (In terms of what a person might consider low versus high?)

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Lisa, I read somewhere here the lowest is $1 and the high range is $12. I'm sure someone else can confirm this. wink

Ah.  Thanks.   I haven't had a clue about what's good or not good.   smile

9. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Thank you Darkside. smile

I wasn't sure if what you said to Thisisoli on this would matter? hmm But, thought it might have something to do with it. smile

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been seeing a lot of discussion about eCPM and what people should aim for in Adsense for eCPM. But it's not a target someone can dictate or even try to aim at.

Then HP Ads came out with the CPM and it kinda muddied the waters further.

10. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

Having been selected for the programme despite not being a big earner ( perhaps that was why) I do think in my case it is much to early to tell. Yes, adsence is down, but I always seem to make it up at the end of the month anyway. Amazon is right down- 13 sales last month- zilch so far this month- but that could be for other reasons-
    I think time is the solution- if you can afford it , sit back and see what happens.
    Traffic wise, I am virtually back up - I dropped about 100 views a day but am back up there so its not all bad-

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

As someone who doesn't use (or hasn't been "invited" to the special club yet) I can tell you that Amazon sales are down.  I believe this is  partially due to the amount of "google.com" traffic we are getting as my conversion rate is down substantially.

11. WHoArtNow profile image80
    WHoArtNowposted 13 years ago

My Adsense is down about 50% since turning the Hubpages Ad program on, but the money I'm making off Hubpages is higher than the 50% lost so I' happy with it so far!

One question though (and it might have been asked already) but how come the impressions are a lot lower. I seem to consistently get 25% less impressions on Hubpages ad than I do on Adsense!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)