72 hubs, 3 weeks, 0.44$?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Andrew Gubb profile image57
    Andrew Gubbposted 13 years ago

So I've earnt 0.44$ in 3 weeks, writing an average of slightly less than 3 hubs a day. Is this normal? I heard you could earn 1$ per hub per month or something like this. I'm getting a little discouraged. Is there some reason why other people have earnt 1$/hub/month but not me?

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW  -  you are doing so much better than me big_smile

Seriously you should check if you are getting enough traffic and do the good half of backlinking to the right sites and palces.  Then take a stroll around SEO genrally and check your keywords etc.

2. TerryGl profile image59
      TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That unfortunately Andrew is Hubpages.

Promise you the world and they give you the Atlas.

Some will tell you they make thousands, but do they really? I have never seen any proof of that. Treat this as a hobby and make more hubs so you can earn a few bucks a day for your coffee. Look at affiliate marketing hubs for more income.

1. jpcmc profile image90
        jpcmcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you think that the stories featured in http://hubpages.com/success/ are all made up.  Call me naive but these are real hubbers right and hubpages will not go down low as to write something fictitious, right?   

Statistically there will be some who can earn a lot while most will not.

Writing is a lot less complicated without money involved.

3. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I probably earned less than $10 in my first 8 months; I have earned a lot more since then, and can vouch for the fact that over time hubs will mature and revenues will increase. Focus on creating quality hubs and don't worry about the income - the more quality hubs you create, the more chance you have of earning a nice residual income.

Andrew Gubbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simey, that's encouraging. I did expect something like that to be the case. Can I ask, roughly how much are you earning now per month?

1. SimeyC profile image87
          SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With Hubpages, Webanswers and a Blog I roughly earn about $300 a month during quiet times and about $500-$700 for October through December - although I did get lucky with a few niches for Halloween.

4. relache profile image67
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  I think of it as the "earning curve.". Your Hubs are so new, Google probably doesn't even know most of them exist yet.  And your traffic levels aren't going to be high enough.

Your experience is completely in line with the average Hub author.  According to admin, Hubs reach their peak of earning potential three years after creation.  I've done an informal survey of earnings for a few years now, so you can see what people have reported. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

BTW, everything you've heard doesn't take into account the algorithm change that happened in February...

Thanks a lot relache, I like this comment most of what's been posted so far.

A question, do you think that I'm going for keywords which are too unsearched for? Do you have any particular criteria for keywords before you post?

Also, I'm guessing you earn okay for your posts right tongue

Thanks a lot for answering. I saw one of your posts before, I think I'm gonna follow ya now.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know what Relache is going to say, I think - she doesn't go in much for keyword tools!  She writes from her own knowledge and experience, and uses her common sense to ask herself what aspects people will be interested in.  And she's one of our most successful Hubbers.

Another big name on HubPages doesn't use the keyword tool either - she wanders around Walmart listening to customers!

I think that if you get too hung up on keywords and SEO too early, it can cramp your style. If you get too technical too early, you're more likely to misunderstand and do more harm than good. Enjoy writing, study the Learning Centre and let yourself grow - the good thing about Hubs is you can go back and tweak them later.

A good friend of mine, who makes a living online, told me you have to take a long view on the internet - what you write today will earn you money in a year's time.  I've certainly found that to be true. With about 60 Hubs took me 9 months to reach my first payout.  Before the algo change I was earning about $350 a month.

Oh cool. How much do you earn now?

I like hearing that I don't need to worry that much about SEO. I'm comfortable enough with it but it was annoying me that I was supposed to be doing something so very wrong. I resonate with relache's philosphy - i write what i want to write. I couldn't write a totally soulless article just for the SEO. Not my style.

1. profile image0
              Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

probably just need to give it time.  I haven't even written 50 hubs yet, but I've been here for around 9 months.  Haven't made a payout yet, but am halfway there, plus have had a good start with the HP ads.
              I didn't actually expect to make ANY money, so to have earnt a little is a nice little bonus. 
              Hardly anyone gets rich with HP - I suspect some who say they do are lying

5. Jlbowden profile image85
      Jlbowdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Andrew:

As some of the other Hubbers have posted in this forum already...give it a few weeks. I do not know if you have already signed up for Adsense, Ebay and Amazon affiliate websites, but if you haven't,sign up for the ones you have not joined! I know that it takes about nine to ten months before you receive a check from Adsense in terms of earnings. If the Hubpages team has rolled out Hubpages Ad program to you, it will do so in waves to everyone,including yourself. This program besides Adsense will earn you the most income. Believe me in the end it will be worth your patience and trouble. You'll see, and hang in there. The worse thing you want to do out of the gate, is get discouraged. Hope this helps somewhat.

Jlbowden

2. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Give it time - your hubs have only been published for 3 weeks. You have been given some great advice in this thread and there are loads of good hubs and forum threads on keywords, SEO, back linking etc to read up on.

Also these are strange times on planet HubPages, post the Google Algo change, so it may take that bit longer for your hubs to establish themselves and gain traffic.

Thanks. smile

3. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

You need to learn how to do keyword research. Full stop. I've taken a look at a few of your hubs, and I'm actually surprised that you've gotten any traffic at all based on the keywords that you chose.

You can rank #1 for purple dog doo doo, but if no one is searching for it, well...

Also remember that aged hubs (or webpages for that matter) usually do better than new content, so you need to give things some time.

I do keyword research on every single hub I write (with one or two exceptions, when I am sure about what I'm doing).

Do you earn money from your hubs, and how much per hub per month?

I checked out your account. "Signs of Low Blood Sugar" is definitely searched but you're on page number 9 for it. My chosen search terms are less searched but I'm generally on the first or second pages for them. Which is better, do you think? Have you, or has anyone reading tried both approaches?

Here's a question - and I write out of curiosity, by the way, I really want to know - how many hits do you get per week or per day on the article I mentioned?

2. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how or where you do your keyword research, so I can't really address that. I just quickly used Google's keyword tool. Between the flexitarian, baked beans and 'is fish healthier than meat' hubs, those three keywords garner a total of less than 400 searches per month. IF you had the #1 spot in the SERPs for all three, that would mean that those hubs would get roughly 200 visits per month. That's not really enough to earn much money on.

It's difficult to say that each hub will earn X amount of dollars, as there are always going to be superstar hubs as well as total loser hubs. But if I divide my total earnings by # of hubs published, I would say that I earn around $5 per hub in a bad month, and $23 or so per hub on a good month. In reality, some of my hubs are big earners and some make next to nothing.

ok, so do you backlink hubs to get good results or do you manage to get good results for competitive keywords without doing so? Or, do you earn money from stuff like page #9 results? Do you get more traffic from a page 9 result on a competitive keyword than a page 1 result on a noncompetitive keyword?

1. lrohner profile image69
            lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't really backlink before the algo change, save for the typical linking from my personal sites to relevant hubs. But I do plan on doing it now. Post-algo change, I think it's the only way to stay profitable here.

I just select keywords that get a decent amount of searches and that have little competition. I DO NOT EVER go for "popular" searches, like mesothelioma or Justin Bieber. I'd rather shoot myself in the head before I wrote about those. smile

You started out your baked beans hub saying that you couldn't find much information on it, and that's what prompted you to write. That's a good start, but now you just have to find the right keywords.

Don't be afraid to go after more than one keyword in a hub as well. And use your tags wisely. Also be sure to start getting internal links by linking relevant hubs together.

Read all you can by Mark Knowles, Sunforged, Darkside, Thisisoli, Peter Hoggan, et.al. Pay particular attention to their recent writings, if they exist, as the online world kind of changed a bit on Feb. 24th. smile

Make sure that you keep up with your current traffic. Use HP stats or Analytics to find out what keywords got them to you, and incorporate those into your hub as well.

4. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

The key is Amazon and Ebay...and traffic.

Sprinkle Amazon (and Ebay listings if you can get in the program) appropriately around, and you could very well start making some money.

Traffic is very important though.  Aim for next December's shopping season as your goal. 

Look for products, movies, music, events, that are coming out soon and build a Hub (or better yet, several) about it, so you can be ahead of the curve.

I'm using amazon.. ebay didn't accept me for some reason (?? - is my website that bad??).

0.44$ is my adsense earnings. To be fair, I have earnt a little more from Amazon. I can't remember, but I think a bit more than 44c.

2. Andrew Gubb profile image57

Btw, how much do you earn per month, if it's okay asking?

5. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I was making $300 a month but since the Algorithm things are dying so I joined HP ads and that is making up the difference

how much have you lost?

6. IGiveInformation profile image65
    IGiveInformationposted 13 years ago

You need to learn SEO and rank your hubs on google if you want to make good money.

7. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 13 years ago

What a waste of time! Geez, go pick cans out of the garbage and give this up. Everyone should quit lying that anyone can make some money on this site. Most are destined to waste way too much time on this if they are in it for that, and you can make more at McDonalds scraping grease out the fryers in one week, than a year spent writing dumb hubs no one will read. 72 hubs for 44 cents? I give more to my 8 year old for taking out the trash twice a week. Come over to my house, I'll let you mow my lawn for two dollars. If you get the whole neighborhood, bet you can make at least twenty at that rate. You better love writing a whole lot to write here and not have to support any kids. If you think if it as a hobby or to make friends, you might get something out of it, otherwise you are doing something by yourself in public you would get arrested for, just like Pee-Wee Herman.

Well, you have 0 hubs. At least you're congruent...

8. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

GT - just deleted two and 6 months back he deleted many more. He is not speaking without experience.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But from memory, he was also a funny, creative writer with a quirky style - great for the community but not something that attracts search engine traffic.  His experience, as you know, is typical of people who write fiction or opinion pieces online - they rarely make money.  I don't think that's relevant to the OP who is writing factual stuff.

1. raiderfan profile image60
        raiderfanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So it appears that "goldentoad" was already banned on this forum for speaking the truth to Marisa, btw very weak come back Marisa, but if my popularity exceeded the average hubber, what does that say about the lies that "anyone can make money?" I'll admit I never came on here to make a dime but I knew plenty who spent endless hours and energy on their hubs, studying search engine dynamics and they went off to other sites to write because they never made any money here. These people had a greater fan base than me and made a serious effort to support themselves on these hopes and the eventually discovered lies.  I am sure the same people that make money on this site, rehash, and recycle their hubs elsewhere.  In fact, I know it, some have commented on this very thread. My own goldentoad hubs were usually written within an hour and constantly were top ranked within this site and made diddly, but why were they placed on the first page every time? So front page here doesn't mean search engine traffic? I get that lie too. It's a good publicity stunt. I purposely did everything possible to avoid search engines and only wrote for a select audience. I didn't care, and still don't care about my own success, I only care that people spend their time, their lives, wasting it on something that will end up fruitless. I find it dishonest and a deception. I never meant to return to a forum, or to even post another hub on this site because as a writer who cares about the written word, I just find it a degrading place to those with creative talent thinking they are going to have a chance at something. I was given exceptional freedom like no other hubber to write whatever I wanted, but I saw the hypocrisy, exposed it for what it was as raiderfan, and left because I couldn't stand by it. If creativity is to be scorned, not appreciated, this is the decline of a society in large, because without those pushing the boundaries, those with the capabilities to bring actual art into this predictable algorithm will always leave, then eventually, the tide of success will recede, and it will all be rehashed information.  Hubpages screwed up a long time ago, placing math before art, and though it may not show it now, the credibility will dissipate and shame on anyone who says, "anyone can do it". It's like selling a bag of oregano to a pothead.  Go ahead and call me a liar, but it's the truth and you know it.  "But from memory" ....ha! good one. You must be smoking some good oregano if you don't remember me and how you came on my hub multiple times, to tell me not to take the place so serious...but let me tell you, I've worked hard on my writing in a real environment, and this dude makes money writing in real life, on factual stuff. Creative is just what I am on the side and I did that for free. To think of the talent that has passed through hubpages and that has left is astounding, and many I consider to be much more talented and polished than I ever was. Wow, if the machine had just enough sense to keep them...ah, but the machine only know adsense, not human sense. Oh well. That's my 44 cents worth and it didn't take me seventy two hubs to provide it."

9. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 13 years ago

I checked your "best" hub, it's on whether or not eating meat is healthy. I don't know if this is the case on ALL your hubs, but I see that you have an image at the tippy top of your hub.

You should push the image down to the next capsule so that your ad can appear where the image is now. Having an ad where your image is now will drastically improve your earnings.

If your top capsule isn't long enough, an ad won't appear where the image is. Try to make it long enough so that an ad appears there. Do this to ALL your hubs.

Also, to make your hub appear cleaner, put your photo credit in your photo capsule.

Add some flair to your hubs, the meat hub is fairly long and has a lot of text that isn't broken up. Try adding a YouTube video that describes the healthfulness of meat. I see you mention a book in this hub. It's underlined as if it's a link, but it doesn't go anywhere so you may want to fix that. Try adding an amazon capsule somewhere in the middle of your hub to break up the text and to show off the book you've mentioned. You could get a sale which would make you $$. Add more pictures. Add a poll question, try one of these:

Do you eat meat?
    Do you think eating meat is healthy?
    Are you a vegetarian?

Adding more pizazz to your hubs will make it more likely that readers will share it with others online, giving you backlinks, and more traffic which = more money!

If you'd like more help, I'd be glad to walk you through improving your hubs. Your writing is amazing and you're still VERY new to the search engines, it can take months to get great rankings and it appears you're on a roll! All it takes is a little improvement to the formatting of your hubs and you should be golden!

Thanks a lot melbel, great reply! smile I'll try applying your advice, particularly for my new articles. I'll go back and edit my old articles later, but for now I have a goal of writing a certain number of articles which I want to achieve, so this is how I'm breaking up my workload. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)