I'm Terminated.

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (64 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Got the big ole left foot of fellowship today.  Out the door, "Ya fired!"   Looks like learning from my mistakes has always made me stronger, so just cause I got the boot doesn't mean I'm giving up.  Darn, looks like they'll deny me unemployment since it was a termination. 

I'm devastated and in shock, but I will survive, I always do. If I have to go back to shoveling horse hocky and giving riding lessons, so be it.  If I have to work at McDonalds, so be it. If I have to do something I don't really wanna do, so be it.

So if any of my Hub friends have anything to say, please share. And please~!!! No shaming and blaming, I already have enough of that myself!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am sad to hear this.

Be sure to apply for UE anyway. The employee is usually favored over the employer in most of these kinds of disputes.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I can empathize. I've been unemployed for 2 weeks now. Luckily, I will get unemployment insurance.

It's hard not to take it personally but you just have to go on with your life. I want my old life back but I have no choice but to pick up and move on.

1. tritrain profile image70
        tritrainposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, man sorry to hear that.  I hope you're doing ok, all things considered.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile I have my good days and my bad days.

3. quicksand profile image81
      quicksandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are a tough guy!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tough guy?

Donotfear is a woman.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4981683.jpg

donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

AWWWW, Cags....how sweet of ya!

cool smile big_smile

2. quicksand profile image81

You are a great gal! smile

2. quicksand profile image81

Terribly sorry! ... I shall re-issue my statement with appropriate changes. Thanks!  smile

I already have, it's just above this post!

4. Cagsil profile image70

Sorry to hear that. But, I like your attitude. You'll bounce back. I have faith in you. smile big_smile

5. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 12 years agoin reply to this

cuz...just because you was terminated doesn't mean you're denied unemployment...as i remember...when i was an employer the only way my company could deprive unemployment to anyone was to notify the employment agency that that particuliar terminated employee had cost my company money by purposely destroying company property. but what do i know?

Supposedly, I did not uphold the ethical standards of the organization to their satisfaction.  I haven't cost them a dime, but it's non profit, so who the heck knows.

6. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depending on the State and the laws, you still may have an argument for your un-employment.  If you were not in Violation of your company's hand book and nothing was a deliberate act or and endangerment to any others, they would have to prove beyond a doubt that you were in some violation that was clearly stated. 

just a performance complaint does not stop un-employment claims. check with a labor lawyer for your rights do let them railroad you.

I hope all goes well for you, I am sorry you had that happen to you.

best wishes

Unfortunately, according to them, I was in direct violation of the standards.  The attached a copy of some of the state codes to my termination letter. I haven't gone over them yet.  Though one thing is for sure: there was no endangerment others, no slander, no names were ever mentioned, my name wasn't even attached to this bit of information.  Sorry I can't go into it, but seriously, it was not a deliberate act.

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
          dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

if it does not say it clearly in the Handbook and the attachment was for your work, they do not have a leg to stand on I think. Keep strong

I was told this once: Remember they can fire you for any reason, but after they did, was it actualy justified!  Managers shoot from the hip at times, and personal intreptation does not mean it is so. I'd seek some advise from a labor lawyer, the first visit is usualy free.

7. tritrain profile image70

I sincerely hope you find something even better down the road.  Maybe just needed a kick in the pants to find that job you really love. smile

8. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can get unemployment if you were fired.  Just as long as you were not fired for hitting the boss or stealing.  Go online and apply.

I never hit the boss or stole anything. Never had a reason to hate boss....she was great, she fought for me, tried to convince em to just disciplinary action of 2 weeks unpaid leave.  But I got the boot toe anyway.

9. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear about what happened. I hope everything works out for you.  I know how you feel.  I've been struggling to find a full time job myself.  Sure, i have a couple of part time ones, but I would hardly consider them careers.  However, I do pray that you will find something soon.

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

Hate to hear that.  As they always say, "when one door closes, another one opens".   Something good is in store for you.....awaken each day expecting it.  smile

1. quicksand profile image81

Amazingly true. When one door closes, several open. Fortunately too!  smile

2. tritrain profile image70

I like that saying.  It's a good attitude.

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Great attitude! donotfear, you are pretty fearless as I recall.

Attitude is a huge part of how we survive a kick in the vitals.
    Bet you are back up in no time flat. smile

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

This could actually be a real positive for ya.  New opportunities have a way of coming in strange packages....  Karma kinda works that way, so I've learned.

Thinking of you nonetheless though.

5. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Keep your head and do file unemployment anyways. Just because the company is trying to protect "their" UE insurance rate, does not mean they will. They can still be forced to pay you.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Michael is correct. Don't give up on UE so easily!

I won't, Habee. As I walked to my car after the 'canning', another coworker ran all the way outside to catch me. She put her arms around me, hugged me and told me to fight for my unemployment no matter what!  Wasnt' that great?

6. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Just watched the video from your profile, and all I can say is "You're incredible!" 

Look out world, for Donotfear is on the move and coming once more. smile

Bless you!!!!  or as we say in the south "Bless your heart!"

7. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Cool, you guys are all so positive!!!   I do hope I'm able to draw UE.  It wasn't a RIF, it was a FIRE, as in POOfey, "you are gone, you have screwed up, see you...don't let the door hit ya in the *&^*& when you go".  Won't look good for UE cause it was a state job and they are tight. And when the state is involved, it's serious.

I'm looking ahead for new opportunities. I have 25 years plus in sales & customer service plus 5 yrs mental health experience. At least I can get some sleep for a while!

8. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

So sorry to hear this mate.. sad
    Don't beat yourself up.. I've found that there are always others out there who want to do that! smile
    Your positiveness is very important to a lot of people, so I'm sure your plight will not be a long one.
    You are true to your heart and that is what counts.. and a lot of great mushrooms can be grown in average horse manure.. remember that and take care smile

Wonderful.....and by the way, I understand the subliminal message here. Hehehe.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good.. You Take Care.. smile

9. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 12 years ago

Dear Annette,

I had a state job for a long time, and it does have its advantages.  However, there is something better in store for you, I feel certain.  Can't tell you how sorry I am that you are dealing with this right now.  I know that you will rebound!

You just blessed my socks off!!!!!!  Wow....thanks, gracie honey!

10. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

I have met donotfear and that photo does not do her justice either.  She is such a bubbly energetic and vibrant woman.  I have no doubt that something wonderful is in store for you and this job was in your way.  Stand back world, here she comes!

You have just double-blessed my socks off, now! I can sleep tonight!  Tomorrow I run to the unemployment line, grit my teeth,  then hope for the best.  Thank you for the bottom socks of my heart and toes!

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
        KCC Big Countryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hope for the best?  Dang it....go in there with that southern charm of yours and you'll get anything you want.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Hey KCC, I'm sure the photo doesn't do her justice, however, I was only using it to demonstrate that Donotfear was not a man/guy.

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
        KCC Big Countryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know Cags.  I'm glad you posted it so others realized she's a female.  I get mistaken for a guy all the time as well.

I can clear that up too. tongue

11. Froggy213 profile image61
    Froggy213posted 12 years ago

donotfear, we have been mutual fans for a long time. I just now watched the lyme disease victory video--you have so much to be thankful for--so what--it's just a job. We are on this Earth only a short time and I know God has so much more for you.
    Take it from a guy who has faced many trials in the last few years--hang tuff girl--you inspire me

1. Froggy213 profile image61
      Froggy213posted 12 years agoin reply to this

By the way, a lot of people think I need mental health help--could you help??--LOL

2. donotfear profile image85

Now you made me cry....gee, I can actually do that. That is my goal in life, just what I state in my profile. I MUST encourage others, it's what I'm here for, ya know?  So what if I did take 13 years to get my degree so I could work for 5 years in mental health? "To everything there is a season...." I was able to encourage a lot of people during that time.  A lot. Some appreciated it, others did not.  But what's important is that I set the goal and completed it. Now I expand to a new playing field.   I'm sad to leave it behind but this happened, I can beat myself up for it or learn and move on.

I choose to look ahead and cry if I want to.

1. Froggy213 profile image61
        Froggy213posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keep on keeping on!!!!

12. workingmomwm profile image80
    workingmomwmposted 12 years ago

It sounds like you have an overall positive outlook on your situation. Good for you!

I'm afraid I might find myself in a similar situation due to complications following my last c-section. My FMLA status has run out - even though the short-term disability hasn't. So now my employer doesn't have to hold my job for me anymore.

I have to say: my own attitude is not as bright as yours. Well, the constant pain doesn't help anything, either. I hope you find another job soon - and one that you won't hate!

Wishing you well, too!!! 

Everyone is giving me great advice here.   The problem with the field I was in is that there is such a high level of confidentiality and they take it very seriously.

But I DID NOT breech any Hippa violation nor did I slander anyone.   They said it wasn't ethical or something.  Whatever.....maybe I shoot off my mouth too much, but when it's done anonymously you'd think we could have our right to free speech.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is beginning to sound like a Whistle-Blower incident or something with whistle-blower potential….

I seem to remember that there are laws to protect whistle-blowers.

And if there is some kind of medical corruption going on, there may even be a substantial reward for the whistle-blower who brings that corruption to light. If any of my theorizing is near-target as to a possible reward, then you might want to seek professional advice.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
          Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It does sound retaliatory.
          You could look into wrongful termination.
          But the main issue is getting what you're entitled to --
          #1. Unemployment benefits
          #2. The promise of a good reference
          #3. A better job in a place that appreciates you!

I agree with everyone here who says that there is ALWAYS something better on the other side of that shut door.

Good luck, DNF. Plese keep us posted.
          And if you feel down ever, we're here 4 u!
          MM

13. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Seems to me that a lot of places now are pushing out those over 50. The last 4 people let go at my workplace were in their 50s.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a class action suit in the making!!
      Probably not the Canadian way, tho, eh?

2. RedElf profile image90
      RedElfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All the wage staff (non-permanent) was let go (me included) from a govt. department. We were all over 40 and the four that were hired were all in their twenties. Go figger.

Even though we were "terminated" we all were able to collect (un)employment insurance.

14. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

so sorry to hear your predicament. As univited writer said, Seems to me that a lot of places now are pushing out those over 50. The last 4 people let go at my workplace were in their 50s."

its time to make your own way...

15. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 12 years ago

Sorry to hear about this, Donotfear. Because of a totally unreasonable and tyranical boss of five years, I stormed out of a job three years ago this month. I experienced that terrible feeling of shock, fear and emptiness. I didn't really know where to turn - my whole existence was at stake. I couldn't claim unemployment benefit, because I had not been fired. On the other hand, my boss had provoked me to walk out, so I sued him, and it worked.

Like you, I decided to take any job that would allow me to survive, and in the meantime began working for an agency - it was badly paid, and I often had to do some jobs I hope I'll never have to do again, but it led to the great job I now have.

I'm sure, with your attitude, everything will work out. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

16. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this. I really hope you get a new and better position soon. Good Luck

17. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

Best wishes in finding other work....other work that fits for you...for You....it hurts at first I know...but move on and don't look back....another chapter has started....

18. tlpoague profile image82
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

What a bummer! There is always good that comes out of something like this. At least now you have time to spend here with us on HP. smile
    I was at a job once where I guess I had done such a great job that they promoted me. I told them that I didn't know the job they wanted me to do, and they assured me that it wouldn't be a problem. They would train me. Three weeks later, I was fired for my lack of knowledge. Go figure! I wasn't doing anything different than before except the part where I had manager behind my name. I will never understand some companies.
    I wish you the best of luck!

19. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Donotfear; I've been in the social industry for several years and was a supervisor of the employment unit, which included the unemployment insurance branch. Now I'm the Director of Placement Services and I deal with issues such as your on a daily basis.

If you were dismissed, it must be due to a tangible action on your part; you did something wrong, failed to do something, broke a tangible rule etc., it cannot be based on an interpretation of rules,standards etc. the key word here is TANGIBLE. As someone here mentioned, the states give a higher weight to the employee than to the employer, in other words, the burden of proof falls on the employer. Do file a claim for UI

So if I broke a tangible rule, then what?  I'd be denied because they proved I broke a rule?

20. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Best of luck to you and as others have already told you...do file for UE.  Generally it goes in favor of the one fired unless egregious things were committed and can be proven.

21. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Donotfear; Yes they must have tangible proof that you broke a rule, the rule must be in writing, if they have witnesses, something in writing or if you admit to breaking this rule, then an adjudicator may rule against you and you would then be denied UI.

22. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

I was terminated from my last job, 3 years ago for stupid reasons,but mostly not kissing up to a bipolar administrator.  MANY agencies will fight unemployment tooth and nail and it is why they can people over stupid reasons.  I got no unemployment because agencies tend to assume the employer is right. But I do fine. I don't miss that nut case former boss,who by the way got canned 6 months later herself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)