Need advice about creative commons license!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I used an image from Flickr that was under creative commons, labeled for noncommercial use. I guess I thought hubs were noncommercial if they didn't sell products. Anyway, the photographer contacted me and demanded $500. I immediately removed the photo and contacted him to tell him it had been removed. Now he is demading that I pay him $250 because I used the photo in the past. I'd call my lawyer, but he died a few months back.

I've read everything I can find about what "noncommercial" means for creative commons, and the definition is very vague. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

habee, did you give the photo the source directly underneath it.?

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes.

1. profile image0
          BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then this photographer since the hub was published has received free publicity by any readers of your article.

I would spell out to him that you were under the impression and you have used Flicker on many occasions and not had any other problems that you thought by sourcing him as the original owner you were acting in good faith.

Once you found out you removed the photo and have offered him a apology for the misunderstanding. Tell him you are not going to pay any money because you firmly believed you were acting within your rights.

Also have you sent Flicker an email stating the facts about this, and the harassment this man is causing you.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm really glad you brought up this subject, although I wish the circumstances were not so trying to you.

I've wondered about this as well. The fact is that since we make money (paltry though it may be these days) with our Hubs, using CC material under the circumstances you describe is not a noncommercial use.

I've always stayed away from using material under this license when commercial use is excluded.

I agree with Urbane Chaos and also emphasize the point about asking the rights holder for permission, in advance of publishing the material in your work.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Maybe he's just trying it on.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

I don't think so, Mark. I think he meant for his work to be protected in exactly this way...if you're going to make money from it, then so am I.

3. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 12 years ago

If you were using the photo for commercial purposes, and the author clearly labeled the picture for non-commercial use, then they are entitled to something.  That's just the way the law is.

...however, I can't see the guy actually doing anything about it - the cost to pursue their claim would be a lot more than they would get.  Even if it did go to court, I doubt that he would be awarded that much, especially if you haven't made anything from it.

Still, always double check first.  If in doubt, ask the author.  Most of the time they won't have a problem with letting you use their picture.

Good luck with this!

4. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

This sounds like a sort of a nightmare, and I hope it works out well for you, habee! I'm sure a lot of the rest of us will be following this to see what happens.

As for the meaning of "non-commercial" on HP, the Help Center has this article - http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use - which says that our Hubs are non-commercial if the ads are turned off.

I toyed with the idea that you could offer the photographer whatever amount of money had actually been earned by the Hub while the photo was still on it.  But as I thought about that idea more, I nixed it.  The thing is, in the business world (and elsewhere too), a misuse of photos, text, trademarks, and all kinds of intellectual property (even when done innocently or from a lack of knowledge) could actually require financial penalties above and beyond any gain that came from using them.  I think Urbane Chaos is correct in saying that it would be hard for the photog to collect - but do you want to have to go through the hassle, whatever hassle it is?

I'm hoping some of the law-trained Hubbers will offer their thoughts.  I know that it's tricky for them to offer opinions, because that could open them up to legal action!!!  If you need some names, I know of a couple I can send you by private message.

I think that if I were in your place, I might offer the person the amount earned on the Hub, point out the free publicity they have received, and even ask if they would negotiate a lower price.  But, in the end, I would steel myself for the possibility that I might have to pay the amount if there was no way around it.

I would not make any offer of payment; to do that would be an admission of wrong-doing.

I'm glad you have legal resources Habee can contact.

1. Aficionada profile image81
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand your concern, but both you and UC have mentioned that it was not non-commercial use - that is, if we have read habee's post correctly.  In other words, yes, she unwittingly did wrong.

In my post, I definitely speeded up my description of the process I would follow, certainly more than I would in reality, which would start off with a combination of Brian's apology and a strong emphasis on the fact that I did not realize that what I was doing constituted commercial use.  But the bottom line for me is the question of how much time and hassle I would be willing to give to this; how much that time and hassle is worth to me; and what sort of negotiating could bring about a positive outcome for everyone involved.

2. Urbane Chaos profile image91
        Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you said that.. it made me think of something that I went through before. 

A few years ago I was sued for breach of contract on a job that I was on - which I counter-sued and won, but that's not the issue.. I had posted on a forum asking for advice and somehow they found it and tried to use it against me.  The point is, I would be careful about what you say online.  If you admit you were wrong in using the picture, they could potentially use that against you.  If they did that, case over.. Just be careful and always read the fine print.

Your experience is well worth listening to. No matter what you say, no matter how innocently, it can be twisted to be used against you when the stakes are high.

1. Aficionada profile image81
            Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good points.  The experiences I have had with having to pay for licensed material had lower stakes and a different outcome.

I have been busy in a different forum thread and didn't see these last posts until just now.  If you all feel that my previous responses needs to be adjusted somewhat, in view of your and UC's post, please let me know.  In fact, I would be more than willing simply to delete them.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

If I, as owner of a photo I had released under those terms, found it being used here, I would certainly assume it was being used for commercial purposes. The HP home page, the forums and many hubs all make it clear that making money is prime aim of the site owners and most of the users.

Even without a direct attempt to sell products via Amazon/eBay capsules or affiliate links, the mere fact that the hub displays ads would in my mind make it commercial.

If you had ads turned off, you need to check whether this also stops HP displaying ads during their 40% of views. If yes, then you could argue the hub was totally non-commercial. If no, then I suggest you advise the photographer to continue pursuing his claim with HP.

However, I agree with what was said above. It is unlikely to be worth anyone's while to pursue a claim at this level.

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Thanks for all the input. The photographer and I have come to an agreement. Once he realized it was an honest mistake on my part, he was actually very nice. He requested that I write a hub about the use of creative commons photos, so I'm going to.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
      Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad to hear that!  I've met very few photographers that really have an issue with things.  Usually they love the extra promotion and are extremely grateful that you linked back to the in the first place.

The internet being as it is, most people just use photos however they want, without regard to the person who created them - same way with text.  If someone quotes me and gives me an extra backlink, I'm more than happy to let them do so.  I'm glad all of this turned out well for you!

7. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

What a relief!  Congratulations on a good outcome!

1. habee profile image92

Thanks!

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Habee,

Please to see you and the photographer came to a mutual agreement on this.

You would have had the backup of lots of Hubbers here as well who would have supported you with your intention of the photo.

All is well that ends well smile

1. habee profile image92

Thanks a bunch, Jase!

9. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 12 years ago

I used to run a worldwide digital microstock agency of huge repute... and our definition of "non commercial use" would allow the images to be used here because the image is not being used commercially.... it's the words/article that are commercial.

Under "non commercial use" we'd also allow somebody to use an image as a book cover.  It's not the cover that's commercial, it's the words/content of the book.

For T shirts though, the image is the essential ingredient people are buying, so an image on a T shirt IS commercial use.

The trouble is: any explanation/description by any site as to what's right/wrong is so far up its confusing/legal 4rse that you've no idea what you just read.

They should keep it simple, spell it out.

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Earner, obviously, I was thinking along the same lines.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)