jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

How does an aticle become featured is it reviewed by a human?

1. b4murray profile image60
    b4murrayposted 6 years ago

I was just wondering if moderators choose featured articles or if they get picked randomly...

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Did you check the Learning Center?

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

3. b4murray profile image60
    b4murrayposted 6 years ago

I did browse it but didnt find a definite answer...

I'll look again to make sure I didnt miss it Thanks!

Just curious

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A "featured" article depends on many factors and from what I have noticed, hubscore is one of those factors.

However, what "featured" are you talking about? The one where HP staff picks and chooses the "featured" articles on it's homepage or the "featured" articles presented at each topic's location?

If you are talking about HP homepage, then I would think that HP staff has some say in the matter.

If you are talking about the "featured" articles that show up on the Topic sections, then it's completely based on hubscore. wink

I hope that helps.

1. b4murray profile image60
        b4murrayposted 6 years agoin reply to this

oh yeah I was talking about the ones that show in the topics section

Thanks for the info

1. Cagsil profile image60

You're welcome. Glad I could help. smile

4. Greg Sage profile image39
    Greg Sageposted 6 years ago

Whoa!  I've never even clicked on the topics thing before.

After reading this, I decided to peek, and just discovered I have 5 out of the top 8 spots in the "Making Money on Hubpages section."

That's just plain funny.

Yeah, it does appear to be by hubscoere.

Maybe I should move them over.  If it's just score, I've got enough to have all 8 spots in some other relevant categories.

Any way to see how many searches are done per category?

5. Greg Sage profile image39

Yeah... "featured" seems to be more about things written with SEO in mind.  Definitely not just score, though.

1. SunSeven profile image69
      SunSevenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily. Jason handpicks them, I couldnt find the thread where he said that.

1. Greg Sage profile image39
        Greg Sageposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I realize they're handpicked... just noticing one common theme to the few I've paid attention to.

Definitely NOT hubscore, tho.

1. SunSeven profile image69
          SunSevenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

As far as I gathered, (its a sensitive area, I should shut up, perhaps)

hey, that guy over there, called greg or something, lets put him on the front page today. I liked what he wrote, he seems to be a nice guy, so lets show him off.

Sounds more like it?

Or perhaps you can show me anything which relates to this on learning centre/help/guidelines/how to etc.?

WR Greg

2. Cagsil profile image60

Hey Greg,

It DEPENDS on how YOU view the articles, when you check out the topics.

There are different settings or did you not notice that?

HOT = Most trafficked.

LATEST = Most recently published.

BEST = Best Hubscore.

Sorry to tell you, but SEO has nothing to do with it.

Edit: Also factor in the number hubs available per topic. If there are not enough hubs in each topic, then you will have a limited number of hubs to view.

6. sofs profile image81
    sofsposted 6 years ago

I may not be in complete agreement with Cags .. my articles are featured in topics constantly but my hubscores are not all that great.. just in the 80's.
    And SEO nah... my early hubs had nothing to do with SEO, but they still get featured smile

1. Greg Sage profile image39
      Greg Sageposted 6 years agoin reply to this

hmmm... when I first read this thead, I checked in my category, and checked the 20 or so below it, and it was almost straight down the line with hubscore.

Checking a few other categories and digging deeper now, though, it looks like that might be a fluke.

Perhaps more like "hot" algorithm which looks at recent activity, etc?  (The topical ranking)

Just to clarify, I didn't mean ABOUT seo or anything... just that the "Hub of the Day" that appears on the right of the homepage seems to tend to be the kind of thing that would fit right in on e-how.  (5 out of the 6 times I've paid attention, anyway.)

7. Greg Sage profile image39

Wasn't attempting to imply I have an answer... just pointing out that I've noticed a theme in the "Hub of the Day."... and pointing out that it's based on a very small sample size.

I wasn't even aware of the topic thing at all until reading this thread yesterday.

Perhaps there is some confusion too as to interpretation of "featured."

8. SunSeven profile image69
    SunSevenposted 6 years ago

Sorry Greg,

I'm Comfortably Numb

Now.

Warm Regards

9. Greg Sage profile image39

No, I didn't notice that at first because, like I said, it showed a fluke. 

I was set on "hot", yet the top 20 or so in the category read like a straight score ranking.   Apparently it was just the way that one category read for that point in time.  I see that others don't read that way.

the seo thing is just miscommunication.  I never attempted to imply that seo had anything at all to do with the topics or how they are ranked or displayed.

If I didn't explain that well enough by now, then I must need a cup of coffee.  It wouldn't be the first time.

I'm checking in here and there when I need a break, but I'm up to my neck in code right now, and it's all new, so not particularly focused.

I wonder how often people search this way, though.  Personally, I never even thought about clicking on the categories.  I guess I'm just not programmed that way.  I always go through search terms and so on.  Maybe I'm just used to getting everything via google.

working