Social Button Hysteria

1. Greg Sage profile image58
    Greg Sageposted 6 years ago

I am the least likely person I know to be taking on what I'm about to launch.  I have a facebook page I've seen a total of twice in the past few years.  I had never even heard the term "retweet" until today.  Frankly, I still don't understand what Twitter is or why anyone would want to be subjected to someone else's constant chatter.

And yet...

I am launching a site where social media sharing is the backbone of the entire concept.  I suppose you could relate it to something like break.com, only with a specific niche focus.

So... the front page is full of teasers, and each teaser has social media sharing buttons.  Each teaser leads to a permalink which has a video, some description, comments, voting, etc... and LOTS of buttons.

So here's where I'm gathering some perspective.  There's limited space in each teaser, so I can only have a few buttons.  I THINK what I want is  tweet, like, and +1 button in each teaser.  Frankly, I still don't know the difference between a tweet and a retweet button, but reading up...

For the actual video page, I figure I might as well have a crapload of buttons for whatever flavor of social bookmarking site or social media site fits the viewer.  Mind you, I still don't know a social bookmark from a youtube channel, but "Ready, Fire, Aim" has always suited me., and I learn quickly.

So... looking for any perspective here on certain buttons, why they matter or don't, if I should change lineup in teasers, key points to pay attention to...

... and the answers to all those questions I'm currently to ignorant to even ask.

Sock it to me.

working