How are we supposed to know what is OK or not?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I have just had another hub unpublished because "Prohibited links include:
    * Affiliate or promotional links in subject areas containing a high proportion of low quality or promotional content (for example, forex, acai berry, weight loss, etc)
    * Links to eBook sales pages and lead capture forms
    * Sites that contain pop-ups or pop-unders that interfere with site navigation (for example, when clicking the back or close buttons), or redirect users to unwanted websites
    * Links that initiate downloads or change user preferences
    * Links to sites that contain links to any of the above (ie, a blog that links to an ebook sales page, etc)"
    I would like to know how  we are supposed to know what links are OK or not? I just removed all of them apart from Wikipedia and got rid of Amazon ads and tried eBay instead but I question what is the point of having ads if they are not allowed? I mean if I add an Amazon or eBay module how am I to know if what products found in a search are OK or not?   
    I have recently published a hub speaking up for this place but am beginning to think I spoke too soon! We are not mind-readers and have no way of knowing what is deemed OK or not apart from these very vague guidelines!

1. Camille Harris profile image86
      Camille Harrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bard,

In general, prohibited sites contain pop-ups that interfere with site navigation, redirect users to unwanted websites, contain eBook sales pages, and/or have lead capture forms.

We understand that these changes can be confusing and have tried to elucidate them in emails and blog posts such as this one: http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/04/new-pu … standards/

The underlying goal of these changes is to raise the level of quality of Hubs, which ultimately benefits writers like you. We appreciate your adherence to these new standards.

1. Camille Harris profile image86
        Camille Harrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

EDIT: You can also check for violations using the "Check for violations" button on your Hub stats page (very bottom of your listed Hubs).  If you open the warning in the author center (after identifying the Hub with violations), it will show you the problematic link(s) in your Hub.

2. ezhang profile image81
      ezhangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bard,

I'm not a moderator, but to my knowledge, if you receive such a notice, it usually means that there is a link that we consider "affiliate" and is prohibited on HubPages  for one reason or another.

I think that we generally don't moderate the amazon products under the "prohibited links" warning.

You should have been able to see a warning message (it's in orange) on the top of your hub in the black box. If you clicked on the message, it should show you the particular link(s) that are not allowed on hubpages.

I hope this helps clarify things!

3. ezhang profile image81
      ezhangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I should also mention that we have a new tool (implemented about a month ago) to help users check their hubs for possible violations. If you scroll down to the bottom of your "My Hub Statistics" page, you should see a button to "Check for Violations".

Here's the learning center entry on the feature:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Hub-Violation-Check

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

HP Staff; In spite of all of the changes instituted for the betterment of the site, I have to agree with Bard of Ely. Several modifications are too vague to be clearly understood and sometimes hubs are taken down without warning, or so it appears. I understand and appreciate all of the effort being put forth to make HubPages better but clearly somethings need tweaking.  cool

3. Bard of Ely profile image79

Thank you for explaining more about this problem, Camille and ezhang! Thank you too for your support, Luis!

4. carpesomediem profile image59
    carpesomediemposted 12 years ago

Ely, I've had a few hubs flagged in the last couple of weeks for the same reason.  When I started looking into it further, it seemed that some of the links I were using had the content of the original page changed at some point.  Unless I had gone back and checked it years after I posted the original content, I never would've known until it was flagged.  In one particular case, because I use pop-up/ad blockers within Chrome and Firefox, I didn't even realize there were issues for users visiting that site because when I went there, I didn't see anything wrong.  Just some things to possibly look for if you get flagged in the future.  smile

5. Bard of Ely profile image79

Good point there! I probably don't know when there are pop-ups too as I have them blocked!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)