HomePage Accounts

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 12 years ago

On the home page, there are clips of the interviews and how much hubbers are making on the website.

I vote we revamp this, as the likelihood that these hubbers are still making this is slim.

I submitted one of these interviews, when I was making up to $2500 with all programs (pre-hubpages ads), and now I'm not making anywhere close.

My dad is on Hubpages, and he mentioned how he saw someone is making $1,700. That was all pre-Panda. I don't doubt people are still making over $1,000, as I am, but these numbers more than likely are not accurate any longer.

Leaving these numbers gives the wrong impression.

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Concur. I now earn enough for a pack of gum and a half-eaten Big Mac.  Just kidding, but it is a fraction of a year ago.

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree and I also think it's misleading for new Hubbers, it sure misled me and that is why I am here....not making more than a few cents per day.

2. relache profile image68
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I brought up this very point in March of this year and everyone ignored it at that time.  I agree, Whitney, that this section really should be revisited and edited to reflect current activity and success with the site.

Interestingly, my own earnings have returned to pre-Panda levels and so while my success story wasn't accurate for March through June of this year, it is accurate again now.

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup, I'm due to do so soon (as you can see, the snapshots show a date of October/November last year).

The total earnings are also "misleading" if you ignore the dates and assume they're current; they are obviously quite a bit higher now.

3. melbel profile image95
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the hubber. I didn't earn much pre-panda... I only had a handful of hubs, wrote a ton, and then panda hit. Now that HubPages make that subdomain switch, I'm doing better than before.

Those hubbers who were doing well before Panda are probably doing the same now or better, not to mention traffic coming in from hubs written during Panda... which didn't do well then but are probably sitting nice or climbing.

There are some, who, unfortunately are doing worse. I have several product hubs and some are doing the same as they did pre-panda and some just will never see the light of day unless I do some major revamping.

1. Lissie profile image77
        Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope I'm probably getting about 20% of what I was earning that's because
        a) some of my more successful signups have given up and either deleted their hubs or had them unpublished
        b) one of my accounts has just crashed as of early Sept - this was my product orientated identity - so its irritating with the lead up to Xmas beginning - maybe something to do with Amazon not paying HP any more?
        c) the new Adsense layout provides a rubbish CTR - so my Adsense hubs would be better off on my own domain with an optimized layout

2. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 12 years ago

I am at prepanda earnings and a little more between Adsense and Hubpages program.. Actually this month it will be ALOT more.

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But you are cool and unusual Marye.

1. profile image0
        Marye Audetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nah, I am really not. Just ask my kids.

1. bgamall profile image68
          bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They will humble you and even if you are cool you will fail their test of cool.

I remember dressing up as a clown and juggling for the kids in my daughter and oldest son's schools in 5/6 grade. The other kids loved me, but my kids thought I was a loser.

1. WriteAngled profile image72
            WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many years back, one of my daughters came home from school in absolute shock. She'd been telling her friends about some of my crazy exploits, and the reactions had been: "Wow, your mum is really cool!".

Took her a long time to get over that smile

3. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

On my new iPhone one of the top topics is Hub Pages scam.  This makes me very sad.  I know HP is for making money but IF we are branded as a scam, this will force me to lessen my involvement here.

I totally agree with presenting reality.  Misleading people is not what Hub Pages is about.  It is a great community, a great learning tool and it is meant to be a Hub-a center point for many different points in your social networking, writing and business plan.

People will always search for information about a possible scam in reference to a possibility of earning online. People are right to be skeptical, but because they're searching (which is why you're seeing it autopopulate in your Google search bar) doesn't mean they think HubPages is a scam. They're trying to find information on whether it is or not.

The first few results I see are either from people who were told they couldn't publish overly promotional material on our site (they're calling us a scam for maintaining high standards, apparently) or people refuting the idea that we're a scam.

2. Lissie profile image77
      Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting - I don't have one of those toys but I do rank well for "is hubpages a scam" and I can tell you that the traffic for the term hasn't particularly increased.

Hubpages isn't a scam in the sense that it lies to people up front  but there are some serious issues with the way that HP has reacted to Panda - retrospective changes TOS have destroyed a lot more income here for writers than anything Panda did. The CTR for Adsense springs to mind as an example - I used to be able to get 10% now its more like 2% ouch

4. thisisoli profile image76
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Agreed, my adsense CTR is now horrible, with and without HubAds enabled.

5. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 12 years ago

I know this is going to get me in trouble but here goes...

Many of you are making only a few cents a day/week and that is frustrating.

The point is though, that ALL of us that agreed to that interview only made a few cents per day at first...
    Looking back at my history the first 3 months of adsense I made, 17 cents, 04 cents, 90 cents ...

During that time I was writing 15-25 hubs per month consistently AND I already had so mojo with Google from other places I wrote (networks, blogs, freelancing, etc)...The economy was stronger etc.

It is not misleading because that is what we honestly experienced. There probably needs to be a banner above that page that says "Your Mileage May Vary"...

When I started writing on the internet, including Hubpages, I was writing 12 to 15 hours a day, as well as everything else I did at home (milking goats, caring for a garden, chickens, homeschooling, cooking, cleaning). I feel into bed exhausted and slept 4 hours and got up again to do the same thing the next day. I worked only half days on Sundays because of church but every other day I was working long hours because my (now ex)  husband had lost his job, my oldest daughter and her family were living with us (not working) AND I still had kids at home. Working at home was the only way I could keep things together so I did what I had to do.

I began with HP in August of 2007 and I didn't make enough money to make a difference in my income until April of 2009....and I was not a new,  inexperienced writer.

No one said it was going to be easy, we all just said it could be done over a period of time. And it can. I lost my biggest client, LoveToKnow, last month -- they were struggling financially because of Panda

Bring on the hate mail.

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me it's not about who's making what. As I said I was misled by that home page to believe that I would be making a lot of money. I only learned about Adsense and all that after I signed up. There are three words on HP homepage that says "join", "write", "earn" or something to that effect. When someone sees those three words and further reads the interviews, it gives the impression that all you have to do is join, write and a check will come to you.

1. jcmayer777 profile image65
        jcmayer777posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Every single opportunity to make money has some people that make a lot, a good amount that make relatively decent money, and a ton that don't. 

THere is some responsibility to the viewer to use good common sense.  Few lucrative ventures are easy -  that's life.

I have never watched the vids, so I have no idea if they make the case that it's super easy or that anyone can do it. I do know you can make money here.  I don't make a thousand per month, but my average per article is very good here on HP.

1. jcmayer777 profile image65
          jcmayer777posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Forgot to add....if they are outdated there is some responsibility to adjust them.

I would be wiling to bet, however, that there are new people making that kind of money or more.

2. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No hate mail...just to share an experience.

After a few months here (nearly four years ago now), I thought HP had oversold itself. I found HP on Craigs List, where the bait was something like write online and earn. It took me 18 months to get a first AdSense payout. I said to myself, "Earn what?" But I persisted. I'm not nearly as prolific as you and others, and I write what I want to write not what trends or SEO might suggest I do. Although I am nowhere near your income level, I will now receive monthly HP Ads and Amazon payouts. If I had been writing 25 Hubs a month early on, perhaps I'd be where you are today.

Your story is an inspiration.

1. profile image0
        Marye Audetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you... The point is that consistency over time brings reward.. I don't mess with SEO and backlinks either.. I pretty much have to write what I know or what interests me on some level...

6. jcmayer777 profile image65
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I thought I'd take a look at this and see what the scoop was.

I might get flamed, but I don't see anything in the success stories that looks at all outrageous.  There's only one income level shown on the homepage, which is for $1200 per month.  The other pics just show a snippet of the interview, with no monetary amounts listed.

When you click on view all success stories, it gives great info, even without reading the entire interview.  It clearly states how many articles the subject has written and their passive income level (which could be outdated).  It's pretty obvious just by looking at a glance that the majority of the big earners have a lot of articles.  It also gives the date of their earnings in "as of" form.  In addition, it shows a varying level of income - not just those making thousands each month.

Unless it's changed since this thread, I just don't see anything on it that bad.  HP didn't change the amounts in December, when most were probably making more, so it's not that outrageous they haven't changed them (possibly) to a lower amount yet.

1. thisisoli profile image76
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A lot of peoples hubpages incomes dropped with the Panda update.  I know that mine has not recovered yet, even though my traffic has.

7. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

The annual update to our Success Stories is complete:
    http://hubpages.com/success/

As you can see, most have significantly increased their monthly income, and all total revenue figures, naturally, are higher than they were a year ago.

Quite inspirational, if you ask me!

1. jimmythejock profile image82
      jimmythejockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the Update Jason.....jimmy

Thank you for providing me with your update so I could update your profile, and here's to your continued success! smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image79

I'm very glad to see this inspiring update. It's proof that hard work pays.

It's a delicate line HP walks between advertising itself as a place to earn and being publicly realistic about what kind of effort is involved in order to earn decent money.

I thought, nearly four years ago, that I'd earn in a hurry, because of HP's ad on Craigs List. But I came to learn from this community (team and members) that my Rome is not going to be built in a day, so I kept at it. Someday I'll get my Rome. 'Nuff said.

Well, we have never promised that you'll earn a certain amount or by a certain time. But the reality is that if you do write and publish, you will earn. We point to the success stories to show what a sustained effort and very well-written Hubs can translate into in terms of traffic and earnings over time.

I agree it's inspiring stuff!

1. Sally's Trove profile image79

This is true, but this is also arguing to a false point. It is true that the ads on Craigs List never said how long it would take to earn a certain amount, but the promise of earning was there. In the online world of "write to earn", what HP advertised was misconstrued by many. It was a hype.

That's my two cents and I'm takin' it to the bank. smile

8. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Hi/ Jason I think there is a typo on that link page - re/ smarts. I am not trying to be clever here it is just that if it is it might not look  good on a writing site. Now I am worried in case it is not an error and just me not getting what it means. smile As in - is it a word you use in in that context in the states but we do not in the UK.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that! Yes, "smarts" in American English means intelligence or wits. smile

1. 2uesday profile image65
        2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jason, that will be my learn something new every day  for today then. smile

9. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 12 years ago

My stats on that page are a true reflection of my earnings last month I made over $1200 from my hubs and this month looks to be even better so far, It can happen for anyone I can assure you. Before I found Hubpages I had never written anything in my life, I learned from my many mistakes ,stuck at it and voilla I recieve payments every month from my hubpages.
    keep in there guys it may take a while but it will be worth it in the end.....jimmy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)