Hubpages is making how much?????

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

I just read the news article about Hubpages inclusion in the Lead411s top technology 200 and saw the following line:

"Applicants were required to be privately held, U.S. based companies with at least $500,000 million in revenue"

WOW - that's $500 Billion - didn't realize HP was doing that well! Methinks it may be a typo?!

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Even though HP now takes in all the earnings from HPads and re-distributes I don't think that even if you call that revenue it would be that much.

I think someone stuttered on the zero key.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True dat! - or maybe they left out a hyphen between a "0" and the "m"? lol

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it probably is a typo. lol

Aside from the article you read, but your own typo counts as one that is even worse. lol

$500,000 million isn't $500 Billion? lol

SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1000 million is now a Billion.

When I were a young lad in England 1 Billion was 1,000,000,000,000 but alas it is no more!

http://oxforddictionaries.com/page/howmanybillion

Ooooh, Simey, thank you so much!  I asked about this, here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/77320#post1672852

with no response.  sad 

If you have any answers for the unanswered questions in that thread (and I understand that they would now be obsolete, according to the link you posted), I would love to know - i.e., I would love to know what those names were.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This pisses me off majorly.

Why the hell should I have to adopt US conventions when British English is older by many centuries!

As from now, I will not use the term billion ever again, as a protest!

1. Greek One profile image64
            Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

should be in drachmas

1. WriteAngled profile image74

Drachmas, shekels, roubles, sesterces... 

whatever...

I don't care about the currency, but I want billion to retain its correct meaning!

2. habee profile image93
              habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Should be in southern currency - pigs, chickens, and moonshine.

2. Aficionada profile image79

There is a more lengthy historical explanation in SimeyC's two other links.  A lot of what they described surprised me (the French connection, for example).

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
            Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Good for you wink

Honestly Im broke ,no matter whose currency is up there.

4. SimeyC profile image87

LOL well as a British man I quite like the fact that I'm closer to being a US billionaire rather than a British billionaire!

Sadly it's the international community that decides rather than the Brits or US! As an example - Aluminium is the standard word world wide in Engineering, even though the US says Aluminum - so the US doesn't always get their way!

I don't understand what you are saying here, Cags.  (Sorry!)  Are you going by the old British system or the current one/American one?

The problem is that I don't think there is anything official anywhere - apparently there was a change many years ago, but I still used the British Billion when I first came to the US!

Here's an interesting discussion though:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52579.html

and here's one explaining all the terms:

http://eyeful-tower.com/muse/billion.htm

Thanks, SimeyC!  I'm heading over now to read both of these.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Last year their profit was about 10 million according to the San Fran business times. Maybe that is what they have made in total since opening?

3. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

that's just of my hubs alone!

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago
    1. WriteAngled profile image74

According to information in that link, the average salary of HP staff is $78,220.

I wouldn't mind a salary like that! I get perhaps 60% for working 18+ hour days most days including weekends.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The American method is the American method, not the "current" one.  But therein lies the explanation.  You need three more zeros to be a British Billionaire.

The American is more 'accepted' though - when you hear that someone earned a Billion pounds it's generally the American Billion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13321462

Let me rephrase then:
      "Are you going by the old [or "used to be," as denoted in the article SimeyC linked] British system or the current [British] one ["now" or "nowadays," according to the Oxford Dictionaries article SimeyC linked], i.e. the American one?"

6. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Fascinating discussions!  Thanks so much for the links - I've bookmarked them both.

I was familiar with the term milliard from the time I spent in Germany, but I had not heard of billiard (except in connection with the game), trilliard, etc.

And I was especially interested to see that France did not adopt the "échelle longue" until 1948.

7. Google Panda profile image60
    Google Pandaposted 12 years ago

Man, break me off a piece of that!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)