How much is hubpages.com worth?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (33 posts)
  1. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Estimated worth:  $91,500,000
    91 and a 1/2 million dollars? 

How much can HubPages earn in a year?
    $19,493,280 / year

Okey, you might be wondering where on cyber-space I got these figures.
    ( worthofweb.com/website-value/hubpages.com )

Can that even be close to being right?

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that might be a bit of an overestimate.

If you go by traffic... approx 22 million per month, 40% of which is theirs = 8.8 million, and use an average CPM of $5.

8,800 x $5 = $44,000 per month.

Most of that is going to be spent on staff, building costs, equipment etc.

colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well m'dear, that estimate certainly does seem to be a more realistic one for me to swallow, Susana. Still, that is pretty amazing to me, that's a lot of money.

It does sound a lot but it's not really, not when you factor in the costs. I've worked with one man band websites that earned much more than that (well they did after I worked my magic on them lol big_smile).

2. clivewilliams profile image70
        clivewilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

ads?

Income from ads at an average of $5 per 1000 (that's what I used as CPM).

3. Writer Fox profile image33
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but that is not nearly enough to pay 23 full-time employees in San Francisco.

CPM could be double that or more. Plus I have no idea if HP is in the red or black.  I'm not pretending to actually know, just providing a means to make an estimate.

I definitely don't see any way that HP could make over $1.5 million per month from the traffic it gets.

1. Writer Fox profile image33
            Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But, you're looking at the wrong traffic figures anyway.  It's not visitors that matters; it's page views.  Monthly page views right now are 51,499,536.  Forty percent of that is 20,599,814. A page view is worth about 1/2 cent = $102,999 per month.

Yes that seems reasonable.

In my seriously sleep deprived state I  wasn't going for precision, just more realistic guesstimates.

2. colorfulone profile image77

$102,999 per month does seem more realistic with 23 full time staff.
              Thank you Susana and Fox for putting your heads together on this.

2. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've seen that site's estimates before and wondered about its accuracy. Put it this way, it said the worth of one of my sites was way more than I make from it. So, not sure how or what they are measuring.

3. relache profile image67
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How can you even begin to think that's anything but a fictional and fiscal exaggeration?

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Most sites of that type give a wild overestimate. I tried it on my own blog and got a good laugh out of it.

In the end things are worth what someone would actually pay for them.

That is so true, psyche, it boils down to how much someone is willing to pay for online realestate. 

Good to know you got a good laugh from the figures that came up for your blog.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It says Bubblews is worth $6 million, lol.  It also says FB is worth about $78 billion, but that one just might be about right.

Now, there is a chuckle, "Bubblews is worth $6 million". 
        Okey Dokey!

3. Rafiq23 profile image86
    Rafiq23posted 9 years ago

Susana! What about clicks that also generate revenue?

The average cpm I used would include clicks and amazon and ebay revenue.

4. jacharless profile image72
    jacharlessposted 9 years ago

1.5 cents per visitor, based on that report, sounds about right as far as base valuation goes. Also take into account HubPages is a seasoned site -nearly a decade in business, and ranked in the top 100 of all websites that exist. If factoring in Ad Revenue and mTurk elements, I'd (gu)estimate around 10-15 cents per visitor.

5. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

My website earns more than that site states. So the figures may be close to accurate for Hubpages.

6. Paul Maplesden profile image75
    Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years ago

Here's some (admittedly very guestimated) math:

If we assume that HP is paid per click by Google AdSense (this is the normal model for publishers), rather than per view:

AdSense income
    Optimised RPM: $7.00
    Page views per month: mobile: 17 million; desktop: 13 million
    Reduction for ad-blocking / hubs without ads: 20% reduction mobile; 30% reduction desktop
    Gross revenue earned from AdSense: mobile: $95,000; desktop: $64,000
    40% split for HP: mobile: $38,000; desktop: $26,000 total: $64,000

Amazon income:
    Assume a third of hubs have an Amazon module; 2% of page views generates a click through to Amazon (targeted) and 10% of those click throughs make a purchase:
    20,000 purchases a month
    Average sale of $20
    Commission (highest tier): 8.5%
    Revenue of $40,000 a month, 40% split: $41,000

ebay income
    Assume a tenth of hubs have an ebay module; 2% of page views generates a click through to  ebay (targeted) and 10% of those click throughs make a purchase:
    6,500 purchases a month
    Average ebay fees of $2.50
    Commission: 60%
    Revenue of $10,000 a month, 40% split: $4,000

Total revenue
    AdSense: $64,000
    Amazon: : $41,000
    ebay: $4,000

Grand total: $109,000 a month

A standard business valuation is three times gross revenue, so:

$109,000 a month x 12 months x 3 = $3.9 million

There are a lot of guestimates in here, but I have tried to use reasonable numbers where possible.

Edit: I see that WriterFox and I came it at pretty similar amounts, which makes me feel a little better about my math!

1. Uzochukwu Mike profile image75
      Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think I somehow believe in the calculation made by Paul Maplesden.

7. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

With 23 employees plus other business costs, that's not a lot.

1. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking the same thing.

2. jacharless profile image72
      jacharlessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Spot On. Average San Francisco tech-based employee earns roughly $85k. That's $2M annual in base salaries.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

I was wondering why you cam up with them. Is something going on?

Examiner, I stumbled on that site when I was searching for information on something else. Not ever seeing a worth-of-web tool before, let alone never hearing about one, I wasn't sure what to think about it's accuracy. I did think it was a surprisingly high amount. But then, I didn't know how much HubPages gets per-view, now I know it is 1/2 cent. 
      -- Interesting to see the "guesstimates"!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh I see.

9. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Do you think maybe they could find it in their hearts to give us hubber's a little pay rise if the facts provided are correct? (Not yet had a pay out after 3 years!) smile

1. Uzochukwu Mike profile image75
      Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tics, the payout is dependent on how active and traffic any hubber receives. Some earn high and others low or nothing depending on traffic.

Personally, I received two payouts within one year of membership here.

10. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

Be sure to check what your own hubs are worth. Just type in the url to your profile. The amount for mine is about right, so yours should be too.

11. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 9 years ago

Using that website, I checked mine and while it might have been true in the past, the lowered amounts I am receiving today would not amount to the figure given.  I am assuming it is an annual figure.  It is interesting in any case.  I did not know it existed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)