One Year at Hub Pages: The pros and cons.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

I've just received an email from hp saying that I have been at hp for a year today. Gosh, did it pass that quickly? Have I made friends with some that seem as if they've always been in my life because we chat most days and have learnt a lot about each other's lives? Time passes quickly!

I guess that's one of the pros. I expect always to be friends with these people because it has moved off HP.

The important thing for some, though, was that we came here to earn money. Did I? Well, at the rate I got paid for the effort I put in, I most certainly wouldn't have earned the minimum wage, and it would have been more like slave labor. That's a con, I suppose.

But did I learn some things to compensate for that?

Yes, I think I did. I learnt a lot more than I knew about SEO. That has come in good stead for other gigs on the web. More to the point, it has given me a realistic idea of what is possible for me. So that's a pro.

Yet another pro is that if I hadn't got so much practice writing hubs, I would not have developed the ease with which I write ebooks now. In truth, my ebooks make more money than hp. Still very few sales, but those 5 stars that I get for my books are, I think, partially due to what I learnt about what people like and want on HP. And sooner or later, because I'm a born storyteller, I will have more and more readers.

Knowing that HP will never really pay me sufficiently well for the effort I put in, why do I continue to write? I don't write as much for HP as I used to, but I still write.

I write here to express ideas that, because they'e in the minority, don't give me much opportunity to meet with those that are like minded. While I may draw flak from many, those who agree with my controversial points of view will make themselves known, and so I meet people with whom I can converse. Of course, I am a writeaholic, and I couldn't stop typing for two minutes, so HP is good for overflow as well.

That said, I've been here for one year. Happy Birthday to me - a writer you see - Hub Pages gives glee - Happy Birthday to me. smile

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on the milestone!  You're right - I remember when you joined and it seems like yesterday.  A con of getting older, I suppose - time moves faster all the time.

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup! smile

2. beindustrial profile image65
      beindustrialposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whoa! 1 year of hubbing is such an achievement, not to mention you got 189 hubs and 300+ followers... Happy Anniversary to you!!! Happy Birthday!!! Congratulations and keep the great hubs coming!!!

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

interesting about the ebooks.  I'm curious about short ebook non-fiction

2. leroy64 profile image64
    leroy64posted 12 years ago

Happy Hubber Birthday!

1. profile image0

Thank you leroy. smile

3. Rebecca E. profile image75
    Rebecca E.posted 12 years ago

well happy hubber b-day! well done!

1. profile image0

Thank you Rebecca. smile

4. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Congrats, but just wait until the "terrible twos" kick in!  smile

1. profile image0

Randy, the terrible twos might bring good news! smile

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You never know - my one year mark passed during the flatlined period of Panda.  Things have grown considerably since! smile

1. Pcunix profile image92
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, me too.  And things are uphill since the summer..

5. Night Magic profile image60
    Night Magicposted 12 years ago

Congratulations.  I love writing too but I don't sped a lot of time writing on Hub Pages --- also write in other places too.

1. profile image0

Thank you Night Magic. smile

6. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Well Done, its a nice feeling, I got my 2 year badge the other day..still remember signing up and wondering if this site was any good, truth is it turned out to be Amazing!

1. profile image0

Richie, all too true. Ups and downs there are, but here I am!

7. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Congratulations on your First year!!!

8. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Only a year?

I feel like you are on old friend.

How strange that is..  I would not have believed just a year but there it is, right next to your picture: just 12 months.

Wow.

1. profile image0

Yup, Tony. Like I said. smile I feel as if some people have been in my life forever, just because we've spoken and shared such a lot! smile

9. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

Hello Sophia.  Great to hear from you again.  I'd love to hear more about your eBooks.

1. profile image0

Hi. smile It's been a while. I wrote a blog for people who wanted to publish ebooks. It's over here.

http://spiceofwriting.blogspot.com/2011 … ebook.html

You can read more about my ebooks here.
      http://bestebookstories.blogspot.com/p/ … tessa.html

I wasn't quite sure if you wanted to see what I had written, or whether you wanted to publish yourself, so I've posted both links. smile

1. rmcrayne profile image92
        rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perfect.  I am sincerely interested in both smile

1. profile image0

smile That's wonderful. If you need to ask something, let me know. It was quite a learning curve! smile

1. HikeGuy profile image70
            HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrats! I'm happy to hear about your eBooks. I've been checking that out, too.

1. profile image0

Hikeguy, I think it's a viable option! smile

10. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Doesn't a year go fast?

Congratulations on this your first major milestone at HP, and I'm proud to be one of the new friends you mentioned.

What a fascinating lady you are, and I hope by this time next year your hard work will have paid off and we'll be seeing your name in lights or being interviewed on TV shows.

We can but dream, but you deserve it.

1. profile image0

Hi Izzy,

Yes, you most definitely are one of the friends that I am thinking of. I feel like I've known you forever! Yup, we'll see what the next year brings. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)