I'm very discouraged...thinking of removing my articles

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 12 years ago

I know I don't write here anymore, but you'd think I would have made at least a penny or two from adsense, but according to Adsense, I've made not one cent. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Do I have to set up each of my articles as a separate URL channel to be able to be paid by adsense? I thought just setting up Hubpages would be enough.

I just cannot believe I've made nothing...nada...zip...zilch. There is no use in my sticking around if that is the case. I only have one article up on Yahoo! Voices and I have made $.25 there in the same time period.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You haven't made a penny in a year and a half with 20 hubs?  Something doesn't sound right at all.

You do not need a separate channel to be paid.

Does HP show up on the adsense report?  Can you verify any impressions from HP?

2. brittanytodd profile image88
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Something sounds wrong.  Are you using the HubPages Ad Program too?  Maybe the AdSense account isn't linked.  I'm wondering why you have a hub that tells readers how to profit after the Panda update.  If you haven't made a cent, how can you tell us how to profit?

1. brittanytodd profile image88
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe credibility is the problem?

3. alezafree profile image92
      alezafreeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Amie I was having this exact problem, but today I discovered that while I thought I had Adsense set up correctly, there was a box I had never checked under Account Settings "Access and Autorization" on AdSense itself.

Here is the tutorial I found: http://support.google.com/adsense/bin/a … swer=65062

Still waiting to see if this helps. Good luck!!!!!

1. alezafree profile image92
        alezafreeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ooops just discovered she deleted her account. Bummer.

4. Joshua live profile image59
      Joshua liveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you were to remove, you would have by now. Which you did. smile

Bravo!

2. quotations profile image87
    quotationsposted 12 years ago

I have never made much from adsense on this site compared to my own sites. However the HP ads program is working well for me. You might try giving that a shot before you remove your articles.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Amie Warren

Don't give up. I think this is worth a shot.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

@Amie

You've got ~23 hours to:

1. Change your mind.

2. Undelete them.

3. And then give hpads a try.

I hope you will do this.

3. That Grrl profile image72
      That Grrlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't use Adsense here. But I do make a little with the HubPages ads.

Maybe you just need to promote your articles in another direction? Do you link to your articles in your email signature? Do you use the link as a signature in relevant forums? How about social networks like Twitter? Second to Google I get most of my traffic from Scoop.it. I moderate (content curation) topics I'm interested in. So I can link to my own posts here when they are fresh out. But I just add them to a feed with other content I find.

Don't give up. I like HubPages but joined it years before I began posting anything. I make more money on my own site than here. But, I like having my posts in a couple of places. I don't repost anything, it's all fresh, but I link back and forth so people landing in one place can follow along and find me here or there.

Instead of giving up or feeling discouraged just think of it as a game. Try another game plan and think of it as a challenge like a puzzle. Make it fun.

1. JT Walters profile image71
        JT Waltersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't even back linked.  I think that is my problem.  Buth it is rather overwhelming to backlink 468 articles.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Jt

3. relache profile image65
    relacheposted 12 years ago

When I looked at your Hubs, what I saw was info that was so generic and non-specific that it's likely your Hubs are being beaten out in the SERPS by pages that give much more specific and targeted advice.  If you are going to write on highly-competitive topics, it's going to take a lot of work and a unique angle.

Ask yourself this:  why would what you are suggesting be better advice for people to follow than what else is out there?  If you can't answer that question, your Hubs aren't going to stand out compared to the millions of other pages on the exact same topics.

Screaming +1.

My second one of the day. I have not done that before.

2. JT Walters profile image71

Relache,

Characteristics of a juvenille sex offender is far superior then anything written on the net about the topic.  I have 468 hubs. There are diamonds in there but i wouldn't expect you to read all of them. I will take your advice though and consider that I am no longer just writing for HP but for the entire net.

I also am not back lined or SEO at all.  I have njot mareketed any of my work.

JT

JT

4. Max Dalton profile image72
    Max Daltonposted 12 years ago

I've put up 40 hubs over two weeks and I've done alright to this point with the HP ad program. Haven't made anything with Amazon or eBay, but I'm doing well enough with HP to make it worth it to this point.

5. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

try posting a general hubpages url into the 'channel URL's page' in AdSense... maybe your just not receiving the data.

6. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

20 hubs is not enough work. You might try a schedule of one hub every other day, plus reading hubs that are like yours. Don't give up!

7. QuestionMaster profile image77
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

Agreeing with what Relache said... writing on high competition topics instead of niche topics means it's way harder to get traffic.

You have less than 10,000 views all up - even if you got that a week you wouldn't be pulling in more than $5-$40 (depending on topic & click rate etc of course.)

Also, do you have HP ad program enabled? You'll earn way more through it than Adsense now, since hubs have now been optimised for it, instead of Adsense.

I defintely have way more the 10 page views.

I mean I have over 10K views and HP ads is activated.

Thanks,

JT

8. LucidDreams profile image65
    LucidDreamsposted 12 years ago

I am sorry to hear you have not made any money here.This has in the past and I am working on it again...my biggest money maker online.

The only suggestion I could give which may help is stay away from making money online type of articles. Even if you are particular in the names you use as a beginning keyword...this niche is just too hard to get ranked in.

Write about quality umbrellas or something just dont compete with the big boys and expect to win. With these articles you should have earned by now so change what you write about.

You can aslo add channels for each page here on adsense to track them. It may be advisable to do this short term just to see what is happening. If you are getting traffic from search engines with no monitary value then there is certainly a problem.

Go more longtail keywords on less competetive terms to get more visitors and make some money.

9. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Sadness...

10. JT Walters profile image71
    JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

I havae over 460 in 6 months and Adsense says I have only made $6 and I have political ads all over my hubs?  It does make you wonder.  I am discouraged as well but I keep working everyday.

JT

11. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I've decided to just take my hubs down. I'm not really writing anywhere anymore, and the insulting remarks here make me not want to be a part of this community. I had heard that there were horribly hateful people here, but I had never seen it until now.

I'm glad you who chose to slam me are so superior. You just ruined my day. Thanks. No need to reply. I'll be gone by then.

1. thooghun profile image90
      thooghunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Horribly hateful? Blunt perhaps, you could even say a little coarse, but they were good suggestions. You could either face the music and attempt to take them on board, or be the victim and make the same mistakes elsewhere.

Personally, I wish I had received this advice myself earlier -- and in the same manner. Hope you decide to stay Amie.

(this isn't to say I don't make the same mistakes. I do. Constantly.)

12. Uninvited Writer profile image77
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I didn't see any hateful comments here. I saw people offering suggestions.

1. emievil profile image64
      emievilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Plus 1.

Was quite surprised when I read the phrases - 'insulting remarks' and 'hateful persons'. Not saying there aren't any here but they are definitely absent from this thread.

I thought it was pretty good advice als well. but writers are very sensitive people except when it comes to giving out criticism.  I thought all the advice warranted consideration.

And I have made over $5 just in the last few days.

Thanks everyone.

If I acccidentally responded I thought you were talking to me.  Forgive me but i took all your words in stride and will carefully consider all of them.  I didn't find them hateful. My hubs are staying up.

JT

1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see anything at all hateful in them either.  They weren't "all warm and fuzzy",by any means; but I think one problem that can happen on a site where nobody ever really knows if someone has six other identities (and I'm not at all suggesting the OP does/did) is that people just address the issue of the Hubs, the subjects, etc. without particularly factoring in the "interpersonal-factor" issue. Well, that and the fact that the general idea is to to try offer whatever honest feedback/criticism one thinks that someone might appreciate.

I think maybe the OP had already made up her mind to leave and wasn't actually looking for (even well intended) constructive criticism.  This isn't, on the whole, at all a "hateful" community.   Often-straight-talking?  Yes.  Not everyone appreciates the value or use in straightforward candor.

I don't really get why anyone would wait around for a year and a half  (while earning "zip") before taking some action.  Personally, I think what's been offered here by others have been some of the most useful, helpful, ideas that could help any inexperienced Hubber, whether the OP or someone else), and even if the OP is as upset as she seems to indicate, chances are the ideas offered here may end up useful to her in the future.  Nobody likes to see this kind of thing go on for anyone else, but I don't think anyone who commented previously has a thing to feel at all bad about.  In the meantime, wishing the OP well on other sites (or maybe on this one, maybe under a "clean-start" user account).

13. paradigmsearch profile image59

Down to 3 and she stopped...

Maybe there is hope?

14. paradigmsearch profile image59

15. paradigmsearch profile image59

16. paradigmsearch profile image59

NOT THE AX!!!!!!!

17. Freud-Wise profile image58
    Freud-Wiseposted 12 years ago

Fly away as far from here, as you possibly can.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)