jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

"Spun" Hubs?

1. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 5 years ago

Since I joined HP several weeks ago, I have noticed the term "spun" used quite often in reference to Hubs.

Can someone please explain what this means? Did I miss something in the TOS?

Thanks in advance big_smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image91
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Some use programs to substitute different words in an article so they can publish it numerous times without getting the "duplicate" warning.  Usually they do not make sense to the reader but the bots often fail to catch them.  Not good!

2. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

Writer's Dog, you'll definitely know one when you see one - they're software written articles, so they make little sense. A spun article will look something like this:

"When you imagine or pretend to carry a purse of brilliance and it will be far or beyond your reckoning."

If you hub-hop, you'll come across one or two during your travels. Usually by new accounts.

1. Max Dalton profile image79
      Max Daltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Are these new accounts typically what people call sackbots? Not gonna lie, I've had a bit of trouble wrapping my head around that term.

2. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Or one could be like this post I made up.

Original: - The sky is blue and the beautiful ocean reflects this brilliance and seems blue as well.

Spun (by me no software just an example for u big_smile)
      The sky is green and the gorgeous river scatters this gorgeousness and seems red as well.

1. leahlefler profile image98
        leahleflerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I made mine up as well, lobo - lol! Maybe we could get second careers as spinner-imitators. hmm

1. lobobrandon profile image83
          lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Haha but I'm not interested - its a boring job smile

3. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 5 years ago

Here's a paragraph I just found on a newly published hub about spring fashions:

(Headline:) Fancy retro fairy reappear
    (paragraph:) If the early autumn collection is a barrier of temperament rendering of the brand, early spring is the clutch shot of increasing the intimacy. Especially to the brands which are seeking for positioning of consumers, the early spring's warm concern heralded the coming of passionate carnival, attracting the head-turning as many as possible by its gorgeous fancy.

LOL, I know spun content is a big no-no, but I must admit I get a kick out of reading it sometimes. Maybe the spinners' new slogan can be "Spun is Fun."

4. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 5 years ago

Got it! Thanks everyone for not only answering my query, but giving me a much needed laugh as well lol

5. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

I am not always sure if something is spun or is just awful English from a writer who doesn't know the language well. I have come across people whose first language is English but what they type sounds spun too so I can't always be sure.

working