Has anyone ever used Social Monkee to get backlinks for their hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Cardia profile image76
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

I read in someone's hub last night that they used Social Monkee to get backlinks for their Hubs. Social Monkee says that it gives you 25 backlinks every day for your page.

Has anyone else used this? Is it reliable, and worth it? I'm currently trying to build up my backlinks, and I'm using Twitter, as well as sending it to friends and family.

1. kgala0405 profile image67
      kgala0405posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have not tried it, but I did take a look at the website.  I personally don't like the idea of downloading their toolbar.  A lot of the time these toolbars install things that can track what your doing on the internet (maybe I'm paranoid).  If you decide to check it out, I would recommend creating a separate e-mail address and do what your doing here (asking questions).

My recommendation is SocialAdr.com.  I'm not an affiliate and I won't even bother to leave a link.  Its a easy way to create back-links without spamming sites.  You can pick and choose which sites you share, which is a nice feature.  It works on the basis of you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

1. homesteadbound profile image81
        homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You do not have to download a toolbar now.

2. homesteadbound profile image81
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are able to get 25 links for each hub period, unless you pay for more, but then it still is only a one time shot.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't looked at it recently - they keep changing their model to attract more people, which (IMO) says something about them. 

Backlinks are only worth having if they're enduring.  A lot of these paid backlinking services create links on blogs, directories or link farms that don't survive,so they're a waste of money.

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I think at some point in the near future our Ms Google (she must be a woman because she keeps changing her mind) will be very easily able to tell who has links coming from services such as social monkey and those links will either be devalued significantly or may even harm your site!
    So just think a little about what G is looking for and how easily G will be able to tell in the future if you are gaming the system..

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I think this is a bad idea.  I wouldn't use it because if it's not something that Google is penalizing right now, then I believe that it's something that Google will be penalizing in the future.

4. DonnaCosmato profile image86
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

I did sign up and give it a short term try. However, I'm not comfortable with the idea of allowing someone else control over where my links would be placed or how the descriptive text would be "spun." It was a trust issue on my part and not anything negative about the site as it seems to be well managed and professional.

5. prairieprincess profile image91
    prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

I signed up for it and used it a few times (for maybe about 12 hubs.) Shortly after, I was put in the Sandbox, or whatever it is, by Google. My traffic went from 1000 to 50 in two days. I don't know if it was connected, but I am sure wondering.

6. alipuckett profile image71
    alipuckettposted 12 years ago

I was just thinking about using Social Monkee last week.  I actually went to the sign up page and started plugging in my information, and something about the whole thing gave me a bad vibe, so I stopped.  Now, hearing prairieprincess' story about being put in the Google sandbox because of it, I'm really glad I didn't!

7. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

I used to use it a year or more ago but never noticed any difference so I stopped.  Never helped nor harmed.

I also used to throw my sites in there whenever I first launched them to get a little starting push.  I don't know if it helped.

1. charliegrumples profile image39
      charliegrumplesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree .. same here really .. most of these type of sites add links to very low value sites .. you shouldn't get punished .. after all .. I could add anyone's links here to it if I was so inclined so can't see the big G punishing people but it probably isn't worth it

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

There is no tracking with social monkee, so it is impossible to know if it helps or not.

1. kgala0405 profile image67
      kgala0405posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, if you can't track it how do you know your link is actually getting posted.  I guess you could go to each site it submits to and search for for your link, but who wants to do that.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Kgala: Social Monkee does not tell you where your links are going.

10. chuckbl profile image68
    chuckblposted 12 years ago

Linda, yes it does. You go to the reports section and can click on the links. Otherwise, type in your hubpage into google and the links will come up.

11. daisynicolas profile image77
    daisynicolasposted 12 years ago

I signed up and paid $47 to get  100 sites.  Haven't noticed any changes in my traffic at all.

12. charliegrumples profile image39
    charliegrumplesposted 12 years ago

another problem is that you can have a page getting 100 links over I think (top of my head) 7 days. The problem is that it then stops which must look a bit dodgy for google.

I paid but haven't used it for ages. I prefer the free IMautomator which gives u 15 bookmarks on the free version. Some of these fail so not every page you submit gets 15 as that could look dodgy too. The one I just checked got 9 links over 45 days which I suspect is more valuable than 100 over 7 days.

Has anyone used their paid version with any success?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paying for backlinks is against Google Adsense Terms of service.  That's a terrible idea for someone here to try - using a paid version of Social Monkey.
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6016711.gif

13. chuckbl profile image68
    chuckblposted 12 years ago

Yeh it is against google and hubpages rules to pay for back links so make sure you do not do that.

14. charliegrumples profile image39
    charliegrumplesposted 12 years ago

you aren't paying for backlinks .. you pay for use of the software and then use that to submit your pages to social bookmarking sites. That isn't the same as paying someone money to add links to their sites.

15. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Chuckbl: I checked reports, and I get I have nothing submitted.  Anyway, I never noticed any change. I stopped using Social Monkee and I certainly am not going to pay for it. The Google+1 has helped and I use IMautomator as well.

16. thejeffriestube profile image61
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

Social Monkee includes a type of article, keyword, and description spinning. In my book, all things that make you look bad to Google, other writers, and the general searching internet.

17. Gareth Pritchard profile image74
    Gareth Pritchardposted 12 years ago

HiAll,

I have used social monkey not with hubs but with some of the links pointing to my hubs, it submits to social bookmarking sites. Search engines don't actually count links from social book marking sites as far as I know, they stopped doing it few years back, so there is not much value in the links. Social bookmarking links are usually used for getting pages indexed quicker, supposedly but that depends on the worth of the social bookmarking sites themselves. I don't think the social bookmarking site they post to have much value.

This is how I think social monkey works, the owners of the social monkey site also own most, if not all of the social bookmarking sites they post to as well, and most probably they are on the same IP addresses, so the links are even less valuable. This works for them because they are building the social monkey site, at the same time as building multiple social bookmarking sites. When the social bookmarking sites have sufficient numbers submitting to them, they are then sold for high dollars as they look for all the world like sites of high value because of the numbers posting to them, boom-cha-ching.

I don't think there is very much value in posting links from social monkey but I also don't think it will hurt your site either and see no negative effects from my own efforts.

It is a bad idea to post links from the same sites, over and over anyway because as far as I know, one link from a site is counted as one link but two links are only counted with the same value as one and so on. Every time you post a link from the same site it devalues all the other links so is almost a waste of time.

Link building is about spreading your links out all over the place with as much variety as possible, not all coming from the same places. 

Thanks, Gareth.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's true. Link diversity is vital.  There's simply no point in having multiple links from one website or directory - after the first one or two, you're getting no extra benefit.  And bear in mind, even if you're linking to different Hubs, you're still linking to the same sub-domain every time.

So unless you're absolutely sure Social Monkee is posting to new sites every time, you'd have to question the value.

The other thing to consider is the quality of the sites.  Do they have page rank? Do they have real content or are they just a list of links?  If they're low quality, they'll eventually get slapped by Panda and then the links won't count, and your money will be wasted.

18. homesteadbound profile image81
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

Here is the link to the same question I asked a few weeks back:
    http://hubpages.com/question/136833/hav … -signed-up

19. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Does this explain why I have hundreds of joining members on my website with no visit recorded ?  Does it do my site any good or harm that these 'members' have apparently registered ?

1. Gareth Pritchard profile image74
      Gareth Pritchardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi recommend1,

I don't know what you mean or are asking with this could you enlighten me a little bit more?

Members shouldn't be a problem unless you can't manage them all. As for them doing your site any good or harm that depends on a number of things like do the search engines know they are members?

I would think that if your site has a closed membership then it wouldn't be possible for search engines to know they are members because they can's see your member lists anyway.

Then again I am not even sure of that because recently I have read an article that talks about headless browsers being used by search engines to index sites and these things could log into a site and index it if they wanted to. I don't think they would show up as a search engine in your analytic's either as a search engine spider would because they are browser based so you wouldn't know.

As I have said I am not sure it is only what I think and we can all think what ever we like but it doesn't make it fact.

Thanks, Gareth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)