jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Poor Grammar and spelling in comments

1. LeanMan profile image88
    LeanManposted 5 years ago

If we approve comments on our hubs that have poor spelling and grammar are we opening ourselves up to possible problems with HP and ultimately the great Google? I know I have many comments that are barely understandable in English but they are all relevant to the hubs and are often asking advice so I don't want to delete them!
    I do not approve comments in which bad language is used - and believe me i get a few on my saudi hubs suggesting what us westerners do, how and with what/whom... But should I now start to not approve those comments with less than perfect English?

Or maybe HP can give us the tools to edit our comments..........

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I don't think the comments will hurt. I have an article on Triond that has the most illiterate comments you can imagine and so far I've earned over $100 on that article alone. I don't think it's any different here.

1. LeanMan profile image88
      LeanManposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Some of my best performing stuff has poor comments also.. but what about the future with google? Can they tell the difference between comments and content and do they want to??

1. IzzyM profile image90
        IzzyMposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Google can't read. That is a vicious rumour that is going around to say they can. Not only can't Google read, but 90% of the population can't spell.

If they were going after every spelling and grammatical error on the internet, there wouldn't be many pages left, and comments would be banned unless someone could show their English degree first.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

However, you want to write articles that people will be interested in reading. Regardless of what Google does or does not see...

4. andyoz profile image88
    andyozposted 5 years ago

I must admit this is an area that I'm paranoid in.  Even if a comment is useful I delete it if it is full of spelling mistakes.  Maybe Google doesn't care, but for me it's simply not worth the risk.

working