Derogatory comment. what would you do?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Ok. Yesterday, I received a very derogatory comment on one of my hubs. The reader pinpointed one comment, an alternative, that I mentioned, and disregarded the entire article. I did approve the comment, and made my own, should I have just deleted it?

Here's the hub. Your suggestions please.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Feeding_Frozen

2. becauseilive profile image86
    becauseiliveposted 16 years ago

Hey Whitney, I had the same problem not too long ago on my Really Bad Quality Tattoos hub. Everyone has an opinion, and if you look at the comments you'll see that I approved a number of comments that express an opinion different than mine.  HOWEVER, I have also DELETED any comments that used profanity or DIRECTLY insulted me, such as your commentor saying "You people that live feed just suck ass".  Your response to her was great, but if you feel that deragatory comments are unnecessary and unacceptable, then by all means delete it. That's why you have the option of approving or denying comments smile  There's a difference between expressing an opinion/disagreeing with a hub, and outright insulting the author.

3. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

The only time I deny without hesitation is blatant self-promotion, especially where there's not even a mention of the article they've just commented on.

The rest I tend to leave up, regardless.

If a comment makes you feel badly, however, you don't need any other justification for denying it! It's *your* hub, after all. smile

4. Veronica profile image68
    Veronicaposted 16 years ago

Just like how people have different opinions about the subject matter of a hub, people have different opinions about the negative comments. This is something I've really wrestled with.

Personally like you guys, I deny the self promoting and spammy comments.  I've approved the negative ones, and then felt like I didn't want to look at my HUB anymore. One time I approved a really bad comment and then saw the slew of attacks to it. While I appreciated how some people defended me I didn't like the tone in general of the Hub becoming a battleground. So I reclaimed the article as something I'd be proud of, and I went back in and denied all of the comments.

I enjoy an intellectual debate, I enjoy hearing different opinions and I don't mind someone disagreeing with me. But when someone comes to my hub and insults or attacks me with rudeness or messages of hate, screw that. Now I deny them.

You write quality hubs, Whitney. And so do Isabella and becauseilive. I like to think I do too. Just because we are open to differences in opinion, that does not obligate us to create a forum for haters, spammers and idiots.

Your hub is YOUR space. You deserve to feel good about your space. You don't owe anybody anything, especially the haters.

My advice is, don't approve any comment that you don't feel good about, whatever that means for you.

5. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Personally, I could never have a pet that needs to eat things like that--but, I also wouldn't leave a rude comment because we have a difference of opinions.
    You need to decide the tone you want your hub to take.  Do you want the comments open for debate or not? 
    Your response to her comment basically made her comment look like the emotional attack that it was.  By leaving it, you could be educating another reader who had the initial response she did.
    I have yet to face something like this, but I'm glad you brought it up.  The only "questionable" comments I have had have been spammy and I've denied those.

6. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

Thankfully I haven't gotten negative comments on hub, but I have on my blogs once in awhile.
    I will publish it unless there is profanity or self promotion for the sake of self promotion. I will sometimes edit out what I don't want in the comment because I have that capability on one of my blogs.
      You shouldn't feel like you HAVE to publish a comment.
    I think you did a great job handling it..

7. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

I think it is OK to deny a comment that uses bad language or is clearly an 'ad hom' attack or a blatant piece of self-promotion. But I have a lot of respect for hubbers and bloggers who are not afraid to sanction comments diametrically opposed to their own position.

I believe that it is rather trivial to say "This is my hub". Yes, in a sense it is, but it is also launched into the public domain. We are not Oracles, divinely chosen to dispense advice. We are communicators, in a world of communication, and should be at least as interested in questions as answers. That's how knowledge grows - by testing our ideas against each other.

Sometimes, if we associate ourselves too closely with our ideas, we may see criticism of the idea as personal attack. But more often than not, no offense is intended. It is actually more likely that our 'critics' are interested in our position simply because it does not square with their own.

If someone takes the time to formulate a response to something we have written, isn't it a little disrespectful to ignore their effort? (Unless, as mentioned previously, they are being deliberately offensive or selfish).

8. Whitney05 profile image82

I did deny the comment, at first, but thought about it. In a way I felt that I had to defend myself to this person, even if she/he, never read the hub again. Possibly, I wanted others who may hone in on that ONE alternative, and disregard the entire hub, to see that the hub is in reality about the PROS of feeding frozen feeders not out right killing an animal by hand to feed to another. I have never done that and don't plan on it. I still feel as though I have to defend myself to people that look down on it. Personally, as with that particular comment, I believe that that one alternative is the better option than feeding live as the snake gets the nutrients that he may lack in a frozen feeder but cannot be harmed by a live one. I do not condone it as I am an animal lover, but sometimes it can be the better option than with live feeders. 

Anyway, back to the discussion. I will deny comments that are spam if I feel that the soul purpose of the comment is to 'hey look here,' but if there is something in the comment that is proactive plus the hey check this out, then I will leave it.

Maybe the purpose of accepting this particular comment was to defend myself to anyone else who only sees that one comment. Plus I feel that I did not go into detail about the alternative, just gave suggestions. Because, I've never chosen that alternative I wouldn't even know any details.

9. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

In the cycling classic, 'Richard's Bicycle Book', the author, Richard Ballantyne gives factual detail on how to disable or (in extremis) kill a dog that is intent on savaging you. As a cycle-tourist, this is a nightmare, but it can happen, and as he explains, 'if it comes down to the dog or me, I'll fight for my life'. He was vilified as a dog-killer for publishing that, and in subsequent editions had to replace it with a section explaining why the section had been removed. He was right, of course, but when it comes to the bit, one mad dog is a kindlier enemy than an animal rights militia. It's a strange world wink

10. Whitney05 profile image82

wow... that's crazy. I don't think I would be able to do that, just remove a piece from some i wrote, unless i deemed it needed to be removed. i assume if there was a group of people fighting the section, chapter, sentence, whatever, then i may consider it. I guess it would have to be something much more serious than being accused of a person who should not own animals, when everyone that means anything to me knows otherwise. i dunno... but that's crazy...

11. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Some people don't know how to express themselves without going off on the deep end.

I have a hub that fluctuates between being my best and second best performing hub, and I'd say it's controversial. One thumbs up, 3 thumbs down. I think it's destined to a 1:3 ratio for the rest of it's life.

Though the person against it who did bother to make a comment was quite civil.

12. Whitney05 profile image82

I understand. I have another hub that received bad comments about the pictures within the hub, claiming that what I was depicting was something else. The person continued arguing with me about it until I posted more pictures showing the process (kinda), to which they never responded back. I really would like an apology about that one. I'm still sore about it. But, either way since then, that person has responded rudely to many of my forum posts/questions.

13. Bunniez profile image71
    Bunniezposted 16 years ago

I don't know, but I guess when you describe how you dangle the live mice, who must be terrified and facing imminent death over your snake so that the snake doesn't get hurt... well, to be honest I am surprised that you haven't received a lot more negative comments. It sounds very cruel indeed, and the fact that you then say you also keep pet rats, well...

You've written something controversial, and you're going to get heat for it. Does it matter? Not really, it is a good thing. Your hub stirs people's emotions, encourages debate, and makes people think about the way that we treat animals, as well as the best way to feed pet snakes. Maybe not the original intent of the piece, but I think it is well written and very interesting.

This is the fun part of being a writer. Everyone worth their salt gets "hate" mail. If you're pleasing everyone all the time, then odds are that you're not writing much worth reading. Take the comment as a sign you're doing your job well, and keep on keeping on would be my advice.

14. Whitney05 profile image82

I can't seem to find the comment in the hub about dangling live mice so the snake does not get bit, as snakes can still get bit holding a live mouse in from of them. If the snake does not take the mouse in the right spot, the mouse can still reach around and bite. I've seen that happen too. I was trying to find the comment to correct it. Please show me where it is because I would really like to fix it.

15. Bunniez profile image71
    Bunniezposted 16 years ago

Ah I apologize, it wasn't dangling, it was just holding them by the tail so that the snake could grab them. To be honest I found it a little hard to read.

"If he's eating mice, he usually gets several, which I will hold by the tail for him to grab, one after the other, to ensure that he will not be bitten."

Still, being horizontal or vertical probably doesn't make too much difference for the mouse in question smile

Being squeamish about this is probably hypocritical as all heck, given that if you eat fast food chicken you're supporting much worse practices, so I hope you didn't take my comment as a criticism. Your Hub is rather raw is all, so people who don't keep snakes and side more with the mice are probably going to have issue with it. Doesn't mean its a bad hub or that you should be abused over it though.

16. Whitney05 profile image82

Oh. No I appreciate it. I didn't realize that I had that comment in there. I just removed that comment, as I mentioned already that it's just not true, and snakes can still be bitten holding the mice. I just didn't want any misinformation in the hub. Thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)