Billie Kelpin profile image 88

Is there a reason psychologists never ask to see pictures of your family to glean more information?

Not an earth-shaking question here. I just was curious why no counselor or psychologist has ever asked to see pictures of the people in my past life or even my present life in order to get a visual picture that would piece together some of the puzzles presented to them. If I look at a picture of my father as a boy, it's clear to me that his tendency for depression happened VERY early on. If I look at pictures of my little family that dissolved, I have no clue as to why, and I often wonder if a psychologist would. Wouldn't pictures help psychologists get a "clearer" picture? Just curious.

Brynn Thorssen profile image91

Carrie Peterson (Brynn Thorssen) says

• Venkatachari M profile image

Venkatachari M 2 years ago

I think you are right. Photographs display a second of your life. It may not aid in studying the mental conditions or life history of a person unless it was shot in some extreme conditions.

MizBejabbers says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

MizBejabbers, Thank you for your response. Alcoholism creates a whole family dynamic, doesn't it. Either it "skipped over" you and your siblings or perhaps you made some conscious decisions to overtake the disease - if that's possible.

Venkatachari M profile image81

Venkatachari M says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

Thank you Venkatachari M. I was thinking that "Gee, I think I should give my counselor a list of the cast of characters w/ pictures to keep it all straight :) I don't know how you all manage to do it each hour for all of us, but we're GRATEFUL!!!

brakel2 profile image85

Audrey Selig (brakel2) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 2 years ago

That seems to be the concensus here Audrey. I would imagine, though, that the picture of your grandson and dog made the psychologist smile and gave him or her a nice frame of reference :) Cheers, Billie