How to stop 'running the rat race'? Do you think the world is just too fast pace

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Beata Stasak profile image79
    Beata Stasakposted 14 years ago

How to stop 'running the rat race'? Do you think the world is just too fast paced?

Sometimes I feel that there are toom many walls, too many rules and too many people. I occasionally crave to leave civilisation behind for a life in the wildernes.
    It is just daydreaming. I don't have the right sort of partner for it. I like the solitude, but can I stand it for a long time? However I keep dreaming about it. What about you?

2. bayareagreatthing profile image60
    bayareagreatthingposted 14 years ago

Yes- I feel the same as you do at times...the need to "get away form it all"!

I think the world systems are creating a sense of urgency and placing unneeded demands on us that we readily buy into.  We can't all live in the quiet countryside, but we can all take moments to enjoy quiet.  We are designed to have times of solitude so we can reflect on life and take stock of our own sense of wellness.  In the Christian faith, we are taught that we need a day of rest each week.  This is a rest from noise and "busy-ness".  It is a time to unwind, pray, meditate, reflect, relax, and mend. We need moments to enjoy God and the beauty of our surroundings. There is a saying to "stop and smell the roses".  Both of these require 2 purposeful actions on our parts- stop and smell.  It is up to us to be purposeful in our pursuit of quiet. 

What ever your belief or faith, your human body requires times of quiet and rest.  We have to keep the world from robbing us of that.

3. paul_gibsons profile image61
    paul_gibsonsposted 14 years ago

I couldnt agree more and I guess I kind of did just that when I moved here, although total escape is impossible. When I was your age (i suspect anyway) computers were the size of a classroom and fed with punchcards.. sounds archaic but... actually it isnt all that long ago. The biggest change I have seen is that the pace of change has changed.. become almost frantic. And although technology has enriched our lives, it hasnt actually made it much easier. Quite the opposite... it (and society as a whole) has created the illusion of increased choice but reduced it in practice...
    It is still possibe to find solitude, beauty and inspiration, even around us; I experience that almost daily. And that is what makes my life worthwhile and what I write about. But I have to look for it hard. And more inside myself than expecting it to be presented to me, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing..

4. profile image56
    Rosa Bergerposted 14 years ago

I think Paul Gibson's has a good point. We are constantly bombarded with messages about the choices we have. But at the same time, almost everything has become a commodity and everything is alike. If it weren't for the some signs, one would not know the airline one is flying or in what country one is when frequenting certain hotel chains. Retailers are constantly consolidating, limiting choices for customers.

We are also constantly bombarded with messages that we should do this, that, and the other thing while giving our lives to our employer. It is up to each individual to find a balance, go against the standards, and find inner peace. And yes, I do know that this is easier said than done, but it is a worthy goal.

5. dabeaner profile image61
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

Lily Tomlin once said something like:  "The trouble with winning the rat race is that you're still a rat."

Yes, too many rules and too many people.  The latter leads to the former.

"Whatever your cause, it is a lost cause without population control."

6. Webconomist profile image60
    Webconomistposted 14 years ago

I think this is a common issue today; it's easy to feel overwhelmed. I call it the "90 Second Economy" as we are faced with more media channels (Web, TV, Radio, Print) than every before in our history.

What we need to do, I think, is learn to manage these "channels" and learn to turn things off. We created all these choices, included in that choice is the ability to turn it off. Perhaps we just need to remember that sometimes?

7. GNelson profile image60
    GNelsonposted 14 years ago

It is fast and getting faster.  If you don't step off for a while, there is no time for reflection.  No time to let things percolate before the next thing comes at you.  Go somewhere where the cell phone doesn’t work and there is no internet access and think for a while. It will do you good.

8. neeleshkulkarni profile image40
    neeleshkulkarniposted 13 years ago

yes it is possible to run away but yes initially solitude will be boring and difficult to live with since the high energy of frantic living is like a drug- it keeps you going and leaves you little time to reflect and sometimes reflection can turn up very stressful things.
    you could start by building half way houses so that you set aside some time every day for living the way you want to and then gradually enlarge that gap. or spend some days away doing what you want to do and then enlarge that period.

I am reminded of the tale of the Chinese and the American. both were ravelling together and the American suggested they take a faster train as it would get them to their destination ten minutes faster. Both get there and the Chinese sits down at the station and begins to look around. The American is exasperated at why the guy is wasting time they had just saved and the Chinese replies,” we just saved ten minutes did we not? why can we not then sit down and enjoy the cool breeze"

9. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
    Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years ago

Do you think ... Rats have a mind  ?

No ... they blindly Follow, the mythical Pied Piper... !

Thats where the idea of "rat race" originally came from ...

Animal actions are Instinctive, thus, Impulse-driven ... The human Actions should be Deliberated, hence, be well Considered Actions ... this difference, distinguishes the Humans, from Animals.

Once you understand this, you will stop Running.

10. Larry Fields profile image68
    Larry Fieldsposted 13 years ago

Beata, you'd asked about a life in the wilderness. A long time ago, I had the same question. While in college, I worked a couple of Summers for the US Forest Service--maintaining trails in a wilderness area and fighting forest fires.

It was definitely a learning experience. One of several conclusions: Nature is a part of who I am, but I have intellectual needs as well.

When I was in better health, a day-hike once a week would almost satisfy my Nature Jones. I'm fortunate to live in California's Central Valley. During the Summer, the high country of the Northern Sierra Nevada Mountains is within driving range. The river canyons of the Sierra foothills (aka the Gold Country) are closer, and are best enjoyed during the cooler months. And the rugged coast North of San Francisco is an inspiration anytime.

Even though I don't hike as much as I used to, it's comforting to know that I can easily get away from it all when I really need to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)