jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (16 posts)

Do you enjoy quiet reflection ?

1. ahorseback profile image61
    ahorsebackposted 4 years ago

Do you enjoy quiet reflection ?

How important is solitude to you ?  How often do you need alone time ? Could you be a recluse ?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7881405_f260.jpg

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image82
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 4 years ago

This is a bittersweet question; is it okay to be a recluse? I love moments of solitude. It seems like these moments of alone time are the only moments that you're mind can relax and you can truly reflect. When I am in nature... sitting by the water and it's beauty, deep in the woods, in the middle of a field, overlooking landscape... I have the urge to cry. These are not tears of sadness but just moments of being free and letting it go!

3. tolstoytherapy profile image78
    tolstoytherapyposted 4 years ago

Solitude is greatly important to me, and I need regular time to think alone in peace. I'm certainly an introvert, and I like to spend time quietly reading, writing or simply thinking. In fact, these activities are essential to my wellbeing. However, family and friends enrich my life considerably, and I couldn't imaging living a reclusive life.

4. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 4 years ago

Do salmon swim upstream?
    "In wilderness is the preservation of the world."
    Frequently. Some days more frequently than others.
    Does a bear, like... you know!"

5. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

I not only "enjoy," quiet reflection, I find it as necessary to my life as air and water.  I do need alone time and firmly believe we ALL do, whether we regularly indulge or not.  It's been said more than once that I might make the perfect recluse.....which is really not a "bad" thing, you know.....There's a time for peace and quiet, to go "within,"....and theres' a time for sharing with others....."For everything....turn turn turn....there is a season.......and a time for every purpose...."

6. Ericdierker profile image57
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

I feel so deeply about this that starting at around 2 years old I teach it to my children. Especially city folk find it hard to do. I do it with my congregation. Just sit breathe and do not move. Be alone here and now. Of course truly alone is more fun. In deep meditation we learn to put a circle of awareness around us. If we narrow it, we can experience alone in a crowd.
    Funny I go to wilderness or nature for thought and relaxation and light walking meditations and prayer. But I have never ever felt alone there. That time is more like a group hug.
    thank you for emphasizing this very healthy thing to do.

7. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

I adore solitude! Being alone is important to me. If I see a friend it's one every other day, moderation. Leaving the house is a trip. It took me months to think about work as a non-stressful event even though I sit at a desk. Now being a total recluse? No. Every few days, it's healthy to see people.

8. Becky Katz profile image85
    Becky Katzposted 4 years ago

I love being alone and can find so much to do. I could go days without seeing another person. My husband hates being alone and sometimes it gets stressful for me when he won't let me have alone time. I get to praying that he will go take a nap. I guess I am a semi-recluse because I do enjoy people when I am around them. I just need more alone time whenever I can get it.

9. joanveronica profile image84
    joanveronicaposted 4 years ago

I do enjoy solitude, I like quiet reflection, that's how I find solutions, feel blessed, relax and create ideas.

But I couldn't be a recluse; as a lifelong teacher I am used to social contacts and the exchange of ideas with other people, so stimulating!

10. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

Yes, many types of quiet reflection are important to me. My favorites are: time sitting, swimming, or walking at the ocean beach; zen meditation; various other esoteric meditations, writing and letting the words flow. And yes, I'm close to a recluse (in the best sense) as it is, and if - Heaven forbid - my wife passed away, I probably would become a hermit if I could arrange it.

Oddly enough, I'm an extravert in personality. But the deep power of silence has taken over over the years.

1. aslanlight profile image72
      aslanlightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That sounds amazing Sid but I hope you don't try to time sit, swim, walk about on the ocean beach, Zen meditate and write all at the same time because you may just drown.

2. SidKemp profile image95
      SidKempposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, AslanLight! That's what I've been doing wrong (glug, glug)! smile

11. aslanlight profile image72
    aslanlightposted 4 years ago

Yes, especially when it's hilarious! I get my best comedy moments when I'm in solitude.

12. Lor's Stories profile image61
    Lor's Storiesposted 4 years ago

Yes especially when I'm in the middle of a crisis.
    I go outside and just sit and watch nature in her own time.
    It helps me realize only nature can calm me when I have to make a hard decision or when I'm stressed to the max.
    It's nice to see the birds building their nest and to hear the quiet,

It allows my brain to relax.

13. Kevin Peter profile image73
    Kevin Peterposted 4 years ago

My favourite quiet reflection is sitting by the beach and watching the sun set. It gives me peace of mind.

14. martvbs profile image61
    martvbsposted 4 years ago

"True solitude" is the only way we can experience true happiness and communicate with our true self - our Soul. And its the best way to recharge and heal the body. This is why we feel happy, calm, peaceful, energetic, relaxed, less stressed  after having a deep dreamless sleep. Also being solitude in a good place especially in natural surrounds helps a lot in reducing stress and making one feeling relaxed, serene and happy without a cause. And for me this is the best time i get good ideas and answers to those mind-bogging questions and its my first line remedy for stress and fatigue. If you practice solitude every day, you will soon find yourself more happier and less stressed. And take note, during your solitude time try as much as you can not to think about bad things or serious things like business and the like rather, try to reflect on the simple nice things you have had in life or put your focus on something nice in your surrounding - a nice flower, a small bird in the tree, water,  hills in the distance and the like. With this, you get the best results of being in solitude.

working