jump to last post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)

What is your most common spelling mistake?

1. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

What is your most common spelling mistake?

If I'm writing too fast I tend to mix up 'their' and 'there'. Also the words poison and religion are pains for me to remember.

2. workingmomwm profile image84
    workingmomwmposted 7 years ago

I have problems remembering how to spell occasion. Is it two "c's" or two "s's"? Yes, I just had to look it up to make sure I was spelling it correctly!

3. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 7 years ago

I sometime make this common mistake (your- you're)  example "your" house-and "you're" great. And i have the same problem with "there" or "their".

4. lilibees profile image60
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

"Friend", always have to take a double look at that word!

5. Ria Pia profile image59
    Ria Piaposted 7 years ago

Something about that word just looks wrong!

6. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

I'm embarrassed to admit that it is Chose and Choose, and Lose and Loose.  I am forever forgetting which is which.

7. Fraser Nuttall profile image57
    Fraser Nuttallposted 7 years ago

Haha, excellent question! For me it would have to be repercussions and each other, I always type them together, even though I know better.

8. FifthEdition profile image61
    FifthEditionposted 7 years ago

my email begins with JES and if i type too fast i type JEWS haha

9. Tracy Lynn Conway profile image95
    Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 7 years ago

I always mix up 'were' and 'where'.  It drives me crazy!  Good question.

10. HeadInTheClouds93 profile image59
    HeadInTheClouds93posted 7 years ago

i always spell biscuit wrong too, I always have to double check that one. Business is also the same and it has simliar spelling to biscuit and I get them mixed up. Good question(:

11. aheil profile image60
    aheilposted 7 years ago

exercise. i always have to think before i spell it. it always looks weird too me haha

12. profile image48
    vascat56posted 7 years ago

Sentence.  For some reason I always want to write sentance.  I have to be very careful.  Another word is broccoli.  I can never remember which letter is double, "c" or "l".

13. wilbury4 profile image72
    wilbury4posted 7 years ago

We all make speling mistackes, sometimes due to the speed at wich we type, sometimes it's just carelessness and not reading over wot weeve wrote, thanks for the spell chekkers! Sometimes it is the strange logik of the Enlish linguage such as the 'i' before 'e' rule and all the 'wheres' and 'theres' etc.

14. Craan profile image67
    Craanposted 7 years ago

I always need to think of how to spell responsibility. I  usually write this word with a c instead of an s.... responcibility.

15. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 7 years ago

People do tend to get 'continuous'and 'separate' wrong ( by spelling them continuos and seperate!)

As others have said some familiar words do look weird when you look at them twice. especially the two 'c' and 's' words

The English does also have strange logic with sounds-

For example 'ghoti' may become 'fish' . Let me explain ( lol)

Because -gh is  a 'f' sound in tough, rough etc
                   - o is an 'i' sound in Women
            and  -ti   has a 'sh' sound in nation!

so 'ghoti' becomes 'fish' according to phonetic logic!

16. Charlotte B Plum profile image78
    Charlotte B Plumposted 7 years ago

futhermore, souveneir, judgement, phychology, psyshiology, pslams

are some examples!

17. Paul Berod profile image68
    Paul Berodposted 7 years ago

Normaly, that's happen when we speak too much.

18. Genna East profile image90
    Genna Eastposted 7 years ago

Great question.  Since I learned to spell via phonics, I still have trouble with double consonants.

19. soniafernandez profile image73
    soniafernandezposted 7 years ago

The problems with spelling for me most commonly occurs in spelling 'friend' or similar words where i and e come together.

20. saanj H profile image76
    saanj Hposted 7 years ago

Mixing  up with practise and practice. Likewise, most of the words with "C's" and "S's" are the  common spelling mistakes that most of us commit.

21. The Blagsmith profile image79
    The Blagsmithposted 7 years ago

Being a proofreader I have to be sure I get my spelling right but we are not perfect and often I write form instead of from.

22. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

I have trouble with i before e except after c and affect and effect, the latter most often. I need to memorize them again, but so many things to remember!!!!!!! My brain goes on overload at times.