Does it pay to be honest?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Vinodkpillai profile image70
    Vinodkpillaiposted 13 years ago

Does it pay to be honest?

The obvious answer may seem to be yes. But what if we first ask ourselves how much honesty we practice when it is inconvenient or hurting to us? How many occasions do we avoid paying a bribe knowing that we will lose? How many people of integrity do we see around us - people whose feelings, thoughts, words and actions are in sync?

2. darrylcrawford profile image68
    darrylcrawfordposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/3066512_f260.jpg

Good question. I do agree the obvious answer is a "Yes" because I believe it is does pay to be honest. It's a process we all are working on. I don't believe anyone can say that they have never, ever told a lie and been completely forthright, (flawless in every way) from their birth til now.

Integrity............. well we need more men and women of integrity in this world. I believe when we do our best to be as honest as possible, we are blessed with more honesty coming our way. Being honest can hurt and can heal us, however, I would rather hear the painful truth upfront versus believing lied to for a sometime then to hear/see/know the truth (after putting my trust, faith and confidence in a lie), which would hurt even the more when I would finally know the honest truth. Honesty is tough at times but well worth it in the long run.

I know that's what I'm aiming to do. Anyone else agree?

3. DannyMaio profile image61
    DannyMaioposted 13 years ago

yes it totally does. you will also feel much better about yourself. of course sometimes a little white lie to not hurt someones feelings I think is OK...IMO  I rather live my live honest, I was taught your word is your bond.

4. Daffy Duck profile image61
    Daffy Duckposted 13 years ago

Yes, but you have to be careful when you're honest.  It's ok to lie to a pregnant woman.  Actually it's necessary if you want to live through the conversation.

5. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

I cannot be responsible for other people and what other people think and do.  It may not alway pay to be honest, but you have to be honest for your integrity regardless of the outcome.  It has to matter deep inside of ourselves that we are honest and that our reputation will come to support that fact.

6. DavitosanX profile image60
    DavitosanXposted 13 years ago

Honesty doesn't pay that much, but at least you can sleep good at night big_smile

7. bucker98 profile image59
    bucker98posted 13 years ago

Doing good is its own reward... We live in an evil era... Doing good will always have its opposition and the battle will never end. But if you're a man of integrity or a man of God, you will face any opposition even if its the sword.

8. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

Yes for me personally as GOD on August 1, 1982 A.D. shown me in a vision the other side of death. It is glorious. It paid the greatest reward for me personally as I go about fulfilling GOD'S purpose and ultimate destiny for my life on the earth as AMBASSADOR BUTLER with my 1 article that is seen around the world in 8 countries of which no hubpages members can see it but everyone else can through the referring sites. So that the people who should see the greatest article on the earth sees it first for their benefit and use it in their life while living on the earth. The reasons why it is not seen by hubpages members is because Jesus said: Do not cast your pearls before swine lest they turn on you and tear it apart before your eyes. Great wisdom here as I write my answers to questions on hubpages. I would like to thank the staff of hubpages because you are the greatest. Thank you.

9. Max_Power profile image60
    Max_Powerposted 13 years ago

Yes it pays to be honest, but we also need to be tactful.
    There is such a thing as being too honest.

10. CWanamaker profile image94
    CWanamakerposted 13 years ago

Being honest will build character.  People will also have more respect for you.  Inconvenience is not an excuse for dishonesty.  In fact, there is really never an excuse for it.  We live in a social world where families and communities are raised together.  Dishonesty only serves to destroy those familial bonds and create more chaos in the world. There is always a way to be honest while also being tactful.  Choose your words and your timing carefully, or respectfully decline to comment at that time.

11. cat on a soapbox profile image93
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

I am honest to myself and my true nature, and I would not consider being dishonest in character. I am honest too in genuinely caring for my friends, family, and acquaintances. As a result, I use my best judgement in deciding when to be brutally frank with someone when it is not a crucial issue. This is the only time I hold back on the truth.  We pay dearly at times for being honest, but honest character is invaluable.

12. Pikachusif profile image62
    Pikachusifposted 13 years ago

It depends on the scenario.

Most of the time yes, while other times it will earn you a cup of coffee on your head, a hot hand print on your cheek, or an awkward and emotional phone call from your ex-girlfriend.

Choose wisely.

13. philemerson profile image61
    philemersonposted 13 years ago

The Tao teaches that all things are connected and that by harming another we harm ourselves.

I've found by experience that this is indeed true - an act of dishonesty creates a state of disharmony within oneself that demands further dishonesty to maintain the initial illusion of truth.

If I tell a lie, I have to tell further lies to add substance to the initial lie. Fortunately, with my memory, I'm not cut out for lying and I've learned that for me, honesty is a far less painful path in life. Sadly I've had to learn that the hard way.

14. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 13 years ago

It,can temporarily pay to be dishonest.Until your reputation catches up to you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& … l=&oq=

15. saanj H profile image57
    saanj Hposted 13 years ago

hi

Yes it pays to be honest but you need to be witty and tactful in tackling and handling the hurdles and the obstacles that may come your way.

16. proactrdv profile image60
    proactrdvposted 12 years ago

There are times when it appears not to pay to try and be honest like when you are threatened for exposing or telling the truth, have to tell a friend or loved one bad news, or outright forced to lie. However I still believe honesty is the best policy.

17. nemanjaboskov profile image82
    nemanjaboskovposted 12 years ago

Always be honest, no matter what...
    Although not being honest might seem like a good solution at times, honesty always pays off in the long run!

18. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years ago

Sometimes telling the truth can be very, very painful, especially if others are trying to hide the very same truth.

19. luckpages profile image59
    luckpagesposted 12 years ago

If we are honest, so it doesn't mean that we will also hope to others for the same honesty. If you are honest so it is your good qualities, and good qualities are those, that will remain forever. So be honest and kind...

20. cosmicdust profile image61
    cosmicdustposted 12 years ago

Yes, it pays to be honest. Helps keep "Guilt" away.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)