jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How were the Mayans able to predict the cosmic events that will occur in 2012?

1. Jefsaid profile image72
    Jefsaidposted 6 years ago

How were the Mayans able to predict the cosmic events that will occur in 2012?

My understanding is that the Mayan calendar ends on December 21st, 2012, the winter solstice and shortest day of the year. At this time the sun, earth, and milky way are expected to align at the galactic equator which only happens every 25,800 years!  How were people of relatively primitive times able to predict this event?

2. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 6 years ago

Jeff, there are some who say it is actually 2,850 years v 28,500. But the interesting note is their civilization died out long before this calendar was set to end. I find that fascinating.

I have spoken little of this, but I see such and event as a beginning to a new and better civilization of humanity --a civilization lead by spirit. Not he standard theologian theories of end times and what not...

3. profile image54
    TajSinghposted 6 years ago

The Mayan civilization was very involved with the study of the movements of the stars.  For hundreds of years they carefully observed the stars and created several different calendars that accurately predicted the future positions of planets and stars as viewed from earth.

4. EQTactics profile image60
    EQTacticsposted 6 years ago

I believe not my friend. Astronomical events are not predictable

5. possum lover profile image58
    possum loverposted 6 years ago

It's also been pointed out in the past that the reason the Mayan calendar ended in 2012 might be because the Mayan calender maker died.