jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Young or Old Doctors. Who do you trust more?

1. whoisbid profile image75
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Young or Old Doctors. Who do you trust more?

If you were sick and seeking to find the best solution from a doctor - would you prefer to have the advice of a younger doctor or an older one with more experience? Does age matter?

2. Sneha Sunny profile image83
    Sneha Sunnyposted 6 years ago

well, in any profession  experience do matters. because with experience people learn a lot as they see a lots of situations and consequences. But that doesn't means a younger one is not good.... perfection comes with experience... but I don't think if I'm to get suggestion from a doctor I'll prefer a older one to go to but maybe if both a younger one and an older one suggests a solution at the same time then I might consider the advice from the older one.

3. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

It depends on the specialty, and the willingness of the older doctor to adapt to change. Older doctors are the most experienced, they've seen a lot of different types of cases, and they've had time to perfect their technique. The problem arises in specialties that change quickly. The younger doctors, as a whole, are much more likely to be willing to stay up-to-date on advancements in the field, and have been trained with much more updated technology and techniques. The older doctor often gets stuck with what worked best 30 years ago.

I have met a few exceptions to the rule on this, but I have personally opted against the service of several older doctors because they refused to do anything differently than when they got into the profession in the 60s or 70s. Thanks, but I'd rather take advantage of a modern standard of care. This isn't so bad for my family practitioner, but maybe not the greatest thing for a neurosurgeon.

4. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 6 years ago

Good question. I would prefer a combination of both. A Yold doctor. LOL. In all seriousness, I believe they both have different, equally important ways, of contributing. The older doctor might have more more experience but the younger doctor, in my opinion, would be more educated and more up to date with the latest medical trends.

5. Ravils profile image61
    Ravilsposted 6 years ago

I trust old doctors,because they have more experience.

6. dan-1 profile image76
    dan-1posted 6 years ago

I would have to say it depends on my ailment and that specific doctors specialty.  I guess I would probably trust an older doctors wisdom over a younger doctors education. Nothing can make up for experience on the job.

7. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

I would say a younger doctor. Older doctors seem stuck in a rut and are blinded to new methods of doing things.

8. thelyricwriter profile image93
    thelyricwriterposted 6 years ago

I prefer older doctors out of the two, but I would rather have an experienced doctor. Some of them don't get their med degree until later so I always check out the experience. With experience comes vast knowledge.

9. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

For me, it doesn't have much bearing. I look for professionalism, knowledge, openness to learning and personality compatibility. Doctors with more age and experience aren't necessarily more qualified unless they've been keeping up and young doctors aren't necessarily smarter or more up-to-date. It really just depends. I look at the individual as a whole.

working