jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the likleyhood that we are not alone in the universe

1. marymootoo profile image74
    marymootooposted 6 years ago

What is the likleyhood that we are not alone in the universe

When you look out at the night sky and all the stars is it just possible that there is life out there? Or are we alone?

2. Alma Cabase profile image81
    Alma Cabaseposted 6 years ago

Every star in the universe adds up to the chance so there is a great possibility that another form of life exists somewhere out there.

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

This is a great and vast question. I don't know how to answer it. This is the type of question I can go into my garden, drink 3 cups of coffee, watch the wildlife - birds, reptiles, insects, and ponder the concept 'life' as a definition. I'm stuck on that for now, so I can't really answer this question, but it is an awesome question.

4. jake13edward profile image59
    jake13edwardposted 6 years ago

You know this universe is so big there has to be more to it then just earth.One thing though if there is life on another planet I dont believe they would be green.

5. cubesz profile image61
    cubeszposted 6 years ago

There is bound to be living things out there. Each star is possibly  the home to a planet that contains life. There are billions of stars, and billions more of planets. We might not encounter complex life forms within our lifetimes, because even out most advance telescopes can only see so much of the universe.

6. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

We are most likely not alone.  Not only has bacterial evidence been found on other planets in our solar system, and I believe on asteroids that hit the earth, but also life sustaining water was recently discovered in deep space.  The ingredients for life are out there.  No reason to be believe they haven't come together elsewhere to create life in the universe.

7. alian346 profile image71
    alian346posted 5 years ago

Recently there have been many exoplanets discovered in a small area of the night sky so it seems that most if not all stars have planets. If you do the sums and assume that there are around 1000000000 million stars in a galaxy and 1000000000 galaxies in the observable Universe then it seems obvious to me that there has to be life and probably intelligent life out there. Problem is how do we visit them because of the unbelievable distances involved.

8. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

I can't give a percentage on this, but think it could be likely. This is a hard question for someone who knows more than I do about astronomy and things of that nature. I will watch and see what comes around on this ?.