Do you believe that there is life on other planets besides Earth and what makes

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Rodric29 profile image79
    Rodric29posted 12 years ago

Do you believe that there is life on other planets besides Earth and what makes you think so.

There are so many schools of thought (religious and secular) about life on earth and other planets. Are we alone in the universe or did life sprang into being elsewhere? Did God only have enough time for one creation in this vast universe? Give an in dept response to the oft asked question, Are we alone in the universe.

2. Angelme566 profile image58
    Angelme566posted 12 years ago

God is powerful from an atom to human beings he created  , nothing is impossible to him.. We are not alone in this universe , i guess in other planets there are other creatures not maybe a human being but a creations which have life. Whether human beings or not still they are precious and beautiful because God made it them..you may not understand their purpose but for sure they have and only God knew about it...this just tells us how mighty is our God.!!!God is good all the time !!!

3. whonunuwho profile image54
    whonunuwhoposted 12 years ago

The people on our planet have witnessed alien visitors and had visitations from other planets for thousands of years. There are accounts carved in cliff walls, cement like structures and columns all around the world of these visitors and their ships. There are written accounts in books and even scripture that indicates these visitations.They are on famous paintings and have been told about for centuries in almost every culture, from Asia, Europe, and North America, as well as Island inhabitants, all have witnessed and recorded in some fashion about these strange visitors. There appears to be strong evidence that there has been alien intervention and communication for a long time. Crop circles have been linked to extraterrestrials and their craft. There are world wide accounts of USO's and UFO's both from the sea and in the air. There seems to be many more witnesses of these unusual craft in recent years than in the past. The earth is like a grain of tiny sand on a vast beach of the universe and it would be quite laughable to assume that we are the only intelligence in this magnitude of a seemingly unending universe. I draw my belief from hundreds of accounts from people from every walk of life, from professionals, policemen, public officials of all kinds as well as every day folks.

Rodric29posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whonunuwho, your answer is great and gives good detail. I like your use of references to other unexplained things that may prove that life on other planets may connect to those occurrences on our planet. I do not accept those explanation because of r

4. mintinfo profile image64
    mintinfoposted 12 years ago

I believe that there maybe life on other planets but Humans are unique. Pure Dark Energy created us using Carbon as the building block to coincide with the conditions of this planet. Carbon, which is (666) is the most versatile element there is. If there is life on another planet Carbon will be the base but it will definitely not be as we know it.

Interesting approach Mintinfo. I am curious of the reference of carbon as 666 and the idea of Pure Dark Energy that you mention. It is complete opposite of the belief system I have that humans were created with Pure Light Energy.

It is very interes

5. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Human beings are made of organic substance and I do believe that might be a chance that there are organic particles in other solar system but the environment may not be suitable for humans.

But who knows in the future, due to evolution and there may come a day where we can actually live in other planets.

6. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 12 years ago

I think the "answer" to this question is a reckoning of one's belief in the ODDS that life (either "as we know it" or some OTHER form of life, that we don't "know it") has occurred elsewhere....

Considering the enormity of the Universe, and the time that has been available for "other" life to be sparked and evolve, I think the odds are quite good that there is "life" elsewhere.....

Now.. the chances of THAT LIFE and us (Earthly humans) encountering one-another are ALSO pretty remote.... so it may be long after our lifetimes (anyone now on Earth) before we (two "lives") ever learn of the existence of each other...

7. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 12 years ago

There are a few things that make me believe that there is life on other planets.  The first is that in the Vedic scriptures( books of knowledge from India) they speak of other life on other planets.  The second is that other ancient cultures have reported that they have had encounters with "Star People".  Third, to think that mankind is the only species that have intelligence in this whole universe is a bit egocentric.  There are billions of galaxies and stars in our universe.  To think that no other planet has life in not really plausible in my mind.

I hope this meets you well.

Best wishes

8. catsimmons profile image83
    catsimmonsposted 12 years ago

Given the number of planets in the universe, I would say thay the odds are there is other life. Unfortunately though, we don't have the technology to be travel the long distances to go and visit them right now....but that isn't to say they they don't :-)

As the building blocks for life are found everywhere in the universe then life is probably similar elsewhere...and the intelligence underlying all things is universal.

9. chaturrajneesh profile image68
    chaturrajneeshposted 12 years ago

looking at the solarsystem with its nine planets and our limitation in technology to access all planets, forget about the life in far galaxies, we can not reject the possibility of life even at our neighbour mars. This is a fact which not only is advocated by vedic scriptures but also is seen as a true possibilty by science.

Thanks for piping in on this Chaturrajneesh. There are eight planets according to the ever changing current science. It would be nice to know if life exist in our solar system, Sol system. We have so many features in this system than just the planets

10. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

i look at how earth ended up with life due to the big bang or some such thing and it makes me believe that if it happened here , it must have happened else where.there are way too many things that have happened even here on earth for me to not believe that there is life elsewhere.

Nightwork4, thanks for answering the question. I do not agree with the big bang theory but I can accept it as one of many possibilities of how life began. I also support you assumption that if it happened here on earth, why not some place else.

11. backporchstories profile image73
    backporchstoriesposted 12 years ago

Certainly there is life beyond our planet!  The real question is what forms do they take?

Thanks for answering Backporchstories. You were however supposed to go into detail about it. No matter, I would assume that the other life would be just like the life on Earth. My assumptions are a based in my religious beliefs and not my own specula

12. Catherine Kane profile image83
    Catherine Kaneposted 12 years ago

It would seem a bit arrogant to believe that we're the only planet with life in the entire Universe.

After all, God is infinite and all powerful, so it wouldn't be like He didn't have enough time for more than one...

Catherine, you speak the truth. I wonder what God would do with all the time he has waiting for our small, but important planet to get life right? I am confident there must be others out there--probably asking the same questions and coming to the sam

2. Catherine Kane profile image83
      Catherine Kaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Rodric. Since God is the great Creator, I'd think He'd probably keep on creating...

13. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 12 years ago

Belief arises from fundamental assumptions. As a Christian or Jew or Muslim, I think the best answer to "Is there life on other planets?" would be "God knows." And since God has given us intelligence and curiosity, it seems right to keep seeking until we know what he knows.

Hinduism and Buddhism are full of legends of life throughout the cosmos. So, if one takes those sources as sources of truth, the answer would be yes. On the other hand, Therevadan Buddhism and Zen would both say that such a question is irrelevant, for it does not change our work of eliminating suffering in this life and this world, and would take the position of not knowing.

Science seeks to find what is true by disproving what is not true. It's results so far is that life outside Earth, even intelligent life, is highly likely. We have moderately solid evidence that there was microscopic life on ancient Mars, but the jury is still out. Elsewhere, we simply don't know. In this solar system, Europa holds some possibilities. Elsewhere, the other stars are simply too distant to tell, but there are so many of them, and, we now know, so many planets, that it is statistically likely that the life is out there.

As for intelligent visitors from other worlds, I've researched this a lot. Much of the seemingly convincing evidence has been debunked. But not all. But nothing has created satisfactory proof yet, either. But many people wouldn't want to admit it. Dick Hoagland has done some of the most interesting work in this area.

I enjoyed your answer and the thought you put into crafting it. I am not sure I would accept extraterrestrial visitors coming to earth in the tradition as what we have in society are accustomed to from the media, but I do believe that Angels come fro

2. SidKemp profile image86
      SidKempposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rodric - I know of at least one case where different people witnessed the same event, and some thought it angelic and others, extraterrestrial. For me, the question of angels is very different from the question of life on other planets. See my hubs o

14. Thesource profile image68
    Thesourceposted 12 years ago

The only planet we know best, Earth is full of life. Water is already found in many planets, asteroids, and comets throughout our solar system.  With billions of solar system in our galaxy the chance of intelligent and primitive life is great within our galaxy. Now there are billions of other galaxies in the universe. This again multiplies the chances even more.

When God created the Big Bang, God created time as well. God is not bound by the limits of time to create what he wills. It is arrogant to think that has God created human beings as the only intelligent beings in this universe. I am confident that there are other beings who are far more holier, wiser, spiritually and technologically more advanced than we humans.Having said that there are also other beings who are primitive and even more primitive than we humans. Just read the newspapers and see what we do to each other and you will see that we as a society even with religions fall in the spiritually primitive half of the universe.

Interesting answer Thesource. I like where you are taking this. Personally I don't accept the Big Bang Theory. I do not accept that God used chaos to create all of this order. I can accept that from chaos god organized it into the order we now enjoy.

15. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

I do believe there is life on other planets. Earthlings would be rather arrogant to believe that this is the only planet with life. The universe is vast beyond my ability to comprehend it. Out there, somewhere, in more than once place, I am sure there are other beings living their lives in their own way on their own piece of the that far away place known as space. God clearly could set into motion as many creations as He wishes. We are not alone in the Universe.

I agree with you Pstraubie. Thanks for answering the question and adding your insight.

16. Civil War Bob profile image61
    Civil War Bobposted 12 years ago

We're not alone in the universe.  The Apostle Paul wrote that Christians do not battle flesh and blood, but rulers, powers, world forces of darkness, and spiritual forces of wickedness in heavenly places.  (cf. Ephesians 6:11) He also wrote that the 'false religions' that exist (obviously, from a Christian perspective) were doctrines of demons. (cf. 1Timothy 4:1)
    This would point to 5 different categories of 'others'...not to mention angels, archangels, seraphim, cherabim, and Satan, who seems to be a fallen covering angel of Isaiah 14:12ff.
    Whether this group will ever get together for a hootenany on Mos Eisley in a Star Wars sorta way...I don't think so.
    Now, there is always the possibility that God created more planets with humans in the way He created Earth and its inhabitants...omnipotence would cover that possibility, but usually, folks think about life on other planets to avoid dealing with the hard terms presented in the Christian Gospel here on Earth That Is, as we Firefly fans might call it.
    HOWZZAT?!

1. Catherine Kane profile image83
      Catherine Kaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd say that life on other planets would not necessarily be limited to humans. God's infinite, and we are not necessarily the only good thing He's come up with (indeed, I''d think the odds are against it... smile...)

2. Rodric29 profile image79

I like the answer. I do believe also that there is life on other planets. I believe that God has purposely set us all so far apart that we do not mingle in this life. I also believe that those other planets are filled with humans and other animals an

17. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 11 years ago

I do not believe that there is life on any other planet, because there is no mention whatsoever in the Bible about it.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)