jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What were you going to grow up to be? Have you become any of those things? Why

1. Ruby H Rose profile image75
    Ruby H Roseposted 6 years ago

What were you going to grow up to be?  Have you become any of those things?  Why or why not?

A movie star?  A singer?  A dancer?  A Teacher?  A Photographer?  A Mother?  A Father?
    Rich and famous? A writer?  A Doctor?  Professional Landscaper?

2. justateacher profile image80
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

I have always wanted to be a teacher...when things got tough with my ex and he refused to work, I was able to go back to school and fulfill that dream...I still love my job as much today as I did on my first day so many years ago...maybe even more so!

3. Aley Martin profile image77
    Aley Martinposted 6 years ago

the best damn teacher in the world! Finally became one at 44 years old! Have been teaching college now for 12 years...and it is not a "job" it is my passion!

4. Adamowen profile image80
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

I always wanted to be the most wealthy man to ever live when I was 11. I also wanted to be a space scientist at one point too when I was around 12. I've had lots of changes as a child as we all do. But at 19 I have over 15 qualifications and may hopefully get into Oxford to study philosophy or science, I think I'm doing okay so far!

5. Dee aka Nonna profile image79
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

Oh, I wanted to be a cowgirl like Annie Oakley.  Then a nurse, a teacher and a writer.  One of my sunday school teachers taught was a special education teacher  and took me under her wing and became a really good friend to the point that I really wanted to be like her.  So I majored in education took all the required courses, etc and did my student teaching and then first year in a charity hospital with terminally ill children.  I never knew if I would find all the children when I returned or not....I became an emotional wreck

I turned to a fairly new program "Head Start"..... I love this I was able to do everything from teach to social work to helping families fine the services they needed.  My young husband had a heart attack and passed away during this period and for a short time I supplemented my income by writing.    A short time later I moved from Louisiana to Texas and my career in non-profit management began....I never looked back.  It was a great fit.

6. Bretsuki profile image79
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

I wanted to be a zoo-keeper.  I did work at Chester Zoo for one summer, on the admissions gate taking the money from visitors.

But no I didn't make it to be a real zoo-keeper. Being guided to a "proper" apprenticeship at school meant aiming to be an electrician, leaving school at the very time the 1970's recession hit Britain meant no apprenticeships were available and so I went into retail, in the family stores.

So no I didn't make my desired career. But the life I got was still a good one.

7. CorinneCanada profile image61
    CorinneCanadaposted 6 years ago

I wanted to be a commercial pilot, but I have bad vision, so bummer...

8. profile image56
    R. J. Lefebvreposted 6 years ago

My growth environment was a mess, I had no idea what to look forward to. I experienced a wake up call when the economy took a dive in the mid 1970's. I had to enrole in a community college, via military veteran fund, to maintain the family needs; my wife had a full time job, but earnings were small.
    The college environment made me aware of many possibilities to live a fruitful life; I had trouble choosing what to persue and whats best for me and the family. I graduated with an AA degree and continued in a university for a bachelors, but withdrew short of a third full year in the interest of my family: two 4 year olds and a wife who struggled to keep the family in sync.