Do you feel positive or negative towards conservation work in modern day zoo's?

1. Pannonica profile image60
    Pannonicaposted 6 years ago

Do you feel positive or negative towards conservation work in modern day zoo's?

Wildlife parks & safari parks help to protect endangered species, do you agree?

2. Melissa A Smith profile image99
    Melissa A Smithposted 6 years ago

Possibly. In the broad scheme of things I don't really think zoos will make a significant impact...conservation-wise. But I have no issue with well taken care of animals in captivity as I don't subscribe to the romantic idea that they need to be 'free' to be happy. Zoos most likely can't make a bigger impact because most of the problems that are causing species loss aren't going to be resolved, and habitat loss is too great to ever reach a point where one can re-release animals. Zoos still stand as an important reminder that we inhabit the planet with an enormous amount of diversity, though.

3. Dragonrain profile image84
    Dragonrainposted 6 years ago

It depends on the zoo.  For the most part, I think they are a positive thing.  As long as the animals are well cared for and as happy as possible.  Most zoos have a goal to educate the general public about endangered species and animals in general, which I think is a positive thing.  Many of them also offer scientists a unique opportunity to study wild animals that would be very hard to learn about outside of captivity.   

I think, as far as conservation goes, that some zoos do a good job working with endangered species.  However, the sad fact of reality is that unless things change drastically, many of these species already or very soon will no longer have a place where they can survive in the wild. 

Then the only places some animals will be able to survive will be in zoos and similar facilities.  Personally I'd rather see species live on in captivity than see them go extinct.  But that's just my personal opinion.