jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think that reality shows have positive or negative effects on society?

1. Gemini Fox profile image90
    Gemini Foxposted 6 years ago

Do you think that reality shows have positive or negative effects on society?

2. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

I do not watch television so I cannot answer this question.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

For the most part I would say negative. Years ago, when Survivor started it was fun to watch the people try to survive, and see how they developed their camp etc.  But then the genre took a turn to nasty offerings like Toddler and Tiaras, or the Kardashians.  I think those kinds of shows are total crap.  And I am like everyone else, if not careful I will get sucked into them.

All of the reality shows now seem to thrive on backbiting and conflict.  It gets tiring. I can't see that as having a good effect on society.

4. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 6 years ago

I would say mostly negative, and mostly because they are not about reality. Reality is not win/lose. And some reality shows manipulate events to improve ratings.

How about reality shows about real people really healing, really succeeding, and really helping other people? (Check out The Big Fix from National Geographic for some cool stuff!)

5. Mercia Collins profile image71
    Mercia Collinsposted 6 years ago

Negative, they are not true reality. I think some people spend their lives watching "reality" tv rather than living their lives. They thrive on nasty tactics, arguments, gossip, and backbiting and make people believe that they can behave that way too. They also have to go further and further to excite, thrill, and shock,

6. TheHeavyReview profile image70
    TheHeavyReviewposted 6 years ago

Negative, because reality shows are not like reality at all.  People might get the impression that things that go on in reality shows are like real life (particularly younger viewers).  When a show is not pegged as a reality show, it's easier to accept it as fictional.  Reality shows are also a lot less artistic in my eyes, and I don't care to view them.

working