jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Did the ancient civilizations play a elaborate practical joke on all of us?

1. somethgblue profile image87
    somethgblueposted 5 years ago

Did the ancient civilizations play a elaborate practical joke on all of us?

Consider the common perception is the pyramids were built as tombs for the Pharaohs. That the 30,000 clay tablets only got the information we are willing to accept as the truth correct. That because we can find no evidence that Atlantis ever existed it must be a fairy tale.

So if the parts of history that we accept are only the parts we can prove then everything else must be a lie?

2. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

I think the joke is on those with limited cognitive function and imagination along with the ones without intuition and critical thinking ability.  I get so sick and tired of running into mechanical beings who need proof for every facet of life.  I think I'm going to start asking some of these harebrained folks to prove to me that they actually have a functioning brain or if they are hardwired from a failed computer program that was rejected by a mad race of degenerate cyborgs.

3. MisterH profile image59
    MisterHposted 5 years ago

In the 13th Century William of Occam came up with a neat little rule of thumb which has yet to be bettered.  It has become known as Occam's razor and it works by saying the simpler of two alternative explanations of any phenomena is most likely to be the correct one. 

Therefore, is it more likely that there was a technologically advanced (potentially alien) ancient civilisation that lived on an island that was so completely destroyed that we have been able to find no trace of it, or, that the ancient Minoan society destroyed by a Tsunami triggered by an earthquake (all verifiable facts) was later mythologised into Atlantis?

Occam's razor, you can't beat it.

4. profile image0
    RobSchneiderposted 5 years ago

"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke." Maybe ancient civilisations just had a better sense of humour than we do.

What about all those little tribes that left no evidence of their existence whatsoever because they didn't have gigantic egos? The trees and plants around them fed them and provided them with medicine. When they wanted to travel, they just wandered. When they needed wisdom, they communicated with spirits or got a boost from a magic plant. The Australian aboriginals had rocks to draw on, but some of these cultures would have created their arts and crafts from impermanent materials. Imagine what they could teach us. Oh yeah, they didn't exist because we haven't uncovered evidence of their existence.

5. parwatisingari profile image59
    parwatisingariposted 5 years ago

Oral history and memory do play a great role in documentation. But we tend to classify it into mythology or legends. In this era of physical quantification it difficult for us to accept.

1. somethgblue profile image87
      somethgblueposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ok I give up what is the word game that is your name?

6. unvrso profile image90
    unvrsoposted 5 years ago

No, they just followed their instincts and we are following them. And this goes over and over again. Nobody is born knowing.