jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think controlled burns help or hurt our environment?

1. Charlu profile image81
    Charluposted 6 years ago

Do you think controlled burns help or hurt our environment?

2. CassyLu1981 profile image84
    CassyLu1981posted 6 years ago

I completely understand how controlled burns can help us but the environment has survived on it's own for thousands and thousands of years without them.  I say let the world do it on it's own.  We live near a ton of wooded areas and every other day they are doing controlled burns near our house.  The smoke and everything sucks.  But I guess it does keep our house safe *sigh*  the delima. . . . .

3. whonunuwho profile image77
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

Recently a controlled burn got completely out of hand in an another country, and I want mention any names, If done right, this kind of application is a positive way to enhance new growth and get rid of unwanted varieties of flora in the wild. It also provides green vegetation for wild life such as deer, and helps in their management.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I suppose they can help the environment but I worry about all the air pollution from it.  And too many times those burns get away from them and we lose too much.

5. DanaTeresa profile image82
    DanaTeresaposted 6 years ago

I thnk controlled burns are absolutely helpful in ecosytems that rely on fire to keep them in balance. There are certain plants that rely on periodic burns to reproduce and thrive. The same goes for animals. The fire keeps the ecossytem in balance. If it did not happen the plant life would begin to change ans so the animals would not be supported and the whole area whould change. You would lose an ecosystem... The problem with controlled burns is that they are inconvenient for humans and can get out of control because nature does not always cooperate as planned. But you can't blame mother nature. If we didn't get in the way of the natural fires ther would be no need for these burns at all.

working