jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do people commit suicide?

1. Gerald Chigozie profile image60
    Gerald Chigozieposted 5 years ago

Why do people commit suicide?

Leaders and great dreams has been lost due to suicide.This trend is more among youths.what is the reason for taking their own life?

2. peeples profile image91
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

It is usually one of two things. Untreated mental illness is usually a key factor. Things seem worse than they actually are or the mental illness keeps them from processing the outcome. The other is attention seeking. I don't mean to say that in a bad way but it can be a tool to trying to receive attention that goes bad. I knew a 12 year old when I was a teen who killed himself thinking the nurses would get to him before he fully died. It's not uncommon for cutters to go overboard. I think it is a sad situation for all involved.

3. monicaortegamon profile image72
    monicaortegamonposted 5 years ago

Hi Gerald people who commit suicide is yes times for attention but many who suffer mental illnesses truly come to points in their lives where they feel so hopeless and tired of dealing with their illnesses.  Especially when loved one's lack patience and understanding.  My mother committed suicide not for attention, but because she felt family did not support or understood her. I also have mental illnesses where I have tried committing suicide I'm not proud just feel so bad that I have felt so much hurtful stigmas from my adopted family. It hurts leaving me to think to commit suicide to get back at them in order to make them hurt. Which is wrong. People like me just get so tired where rational thinking has been taken over by utter hopelessness. Anyway that's been my own experience,  don't know if this answer may help you. There are so many factors...Monica

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago

The top three causes of death among our Generation Y population in America are Accidents, Homicide and Suicide. The portion of these Millenials in their 20s - early 30s at this writing are more active and take more risks than X and Boomer people -- but why Suicide? How can we change this? read more

working