jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If you drive south through the U.S. from the northern states when do you start t

1. nmdonders profile image84
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

If you drive south through the U.S. from the northern states when do you start to notice accents?

By accents I mean the differences in the way people speak

2. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 5 years ago

Immediately............

Those in New Jersey sound and speak differently than those in New York.

Vermont, Massachuettes, Maine, speak differently than New Yorkers.

Those in Tennesee, speak differently than Arkansans do.........who speak differently from the Virginians......................

Even , within some states, you can find different dialects.

Only a " Cajun" can understand another " Cajun"!

Then you meet the west Texans and the Californians...............yes, they too, speak a bit differently!

3. profile image0
    MundaneMondaysposted 5 years ago

I'm from New York, so as soon as i get to the DMV, especially DC or Virginia i can hear the country accents go from A........................................O

4. Georgie Lowery profile image93
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I'm from Virginia, and the state is split. People who live in NoVa (Northern Virginia) usually don't have accents (to me), but those who grew up in the southern part of the state where I am from do. I guess the line falls just north of Richmond.

5. kj force profile image73
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

Speaking as an original northerer....People from Maine, on down the coast have accents...New Jersey,New York, Rhode Island etc....you start to notice southern accents when you reach Pennslyvania and the get stronger til Georgia..then you hit Florida and ALL the other " northern " accents return as most of Florida consists of"transplants.
    There are also differences in what they speak of....Soda..is pop or ice cream in selzer.....sack is a poke/bag...etc.....

working