Have you ever been prejudice against a race, religion. sexual orientation. or an

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. pmorries profile image66
    pmorriesposted 11 years ago

Have you ever been prejudice against a race, religion. sexual orientation. or anything else

...and changed your ways? What changed your mind? If you wrote a Hub about your experience, what would you say?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7633389_f260.jpg

2. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

Prejudice against any people or persons is a sign of rank immaturity. I may not agree with everyone's position on any given issue, but I respect that they have every bit as much right to their opinions and beliefs as I do mine.

pmorriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said and I wish people would apply your philosophy to politics (and other issues of course).

3. jlpark profile image78
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Funnily enough, I went to answer this then thought about it some more. 

My answer is no.  Regardless of whether I agree with the opinions of some people of some religions, I do not judge a person by their religion, race, ability, sexual orientation. Whilst some may feel that disagreeing with an opinion makes me judgemental and prejudice of that religion, I disagree (hah!).  It is one thing to disagree with an opinion, it is another to judge that religion on the opinion of ONE (or more) members.

I feel that all races, religions, sexual orientations, and abilities have something to teach all of us.  However, I am looking forward to reading what has changed people's minds.

1. JimTxMiller profile image78
      JimTxMillerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Experience with others did not "change my mind", J.L. but confirmed what I've always believed. Living with a racist step-dad, growing up in a fundamentalist Christian sect, spending more than two years in Europe among "foreigners" affirmed my views.

2. pmorries profile image66

I was prejudice against Catholics (see below).  When I cam back to Christianity and went to a Jesuit college, I found out that Jesuits could teach me something: Not all miracles have to be large (e.g., was the Reed  (small) or Red Sea (big) split?).

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

I believe these are ingrained in all of us in at least some degree , when we  deny it that creates the problem !  Are we in cotrol of understanding and removing our bias' , thats the real question !

You have written a well thought out response (and I thank you), but what is the answer to your own question?

5. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 11 years ago

Prejudice is a baseless and usually negative attitude toward members of a group. Common features of prejudice include negative feelings, stereotyped beliefs, and a tendency to discriminate against members of the group.

Before I became a christian, I had all sorts of prejudices against believers until I became one of them. I was humbled. I realized that some of my prejudices were projections on others. Prejudice and stereotyping is part of human thinking and making sense of the world. However, one must be cautious since what we hold as true of others due to a single experience or ignorance could be wrong.

1. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Eunice. Very useful and honest answer.

2. pmorries profile image66

I have been  prejudice against the church in my time, and I used to love to argue with Christians...and I regret that time in my life.

3. jlpark profile image78
      jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Arguing against Christians does not make you prejudiced against them - you don't hate them or judge them - you just don't agree

6. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

It can take subtle and unthinkable forms for the best of us.

7. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I have never purposefully dismissed anyone based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or religious views. I choose between those I like or not based on another's personal ethics and personality. Whether I like someone or not, I still try to be fair and civil. I have never had a reason not to be. I find it tiring to see prejudice/racism brought up constantly when it's really more of "they are people who will like you and those who won't." It's true for everyone in the world. Yes, there are narrow-minded and hateful people from all walks of life. They would  fall among those that I would not like because I don't care for unkind people. If choosing one over another shows prejudice, then we are all guilty.

Your arguments are well thought out, and I appreciate you taking the time to write ma an answer to my question.

8. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

I'm prejudice against the Catholic church. Not Catholics in general but the Catholic church in my eyes is the most disgusting thing on the planet. But to be fair, they do protect child molesters and pedophiles...and made an official statement a while ago that it was the "child's" fault for seducing the priests...and my prejudice is 100% renewed again.

I too was prejudiced against the Catholic Church , because I grew up as a Fundamentalist  ;however, later in life, I went to a Jesuit college and earned my degree. and  changed my mind. In closing, any institution that has power can become corrupt .

2. CrescentSkies profile image63
      CrescentSkiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True but most institutions don't go around protecting pedophiles using God as a shield.

9. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Don't have any prejudice whatsoever....NEXT.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)