jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

If you are an only child and your parents were not, how did their sibling psycho

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

If you are an only child and your parents were not, how did their sibling psychology have any

influence regarding how they treated you as an only child?

2. Vitallani profile image78
    Vitallaniposted 5 years ago

Both my parents had an older sister. I am an only child, but as far as I know, the way they brought me up hasn't been specific influenced on the fact that they had a sibling. Of course, all life experiences will influence how someone acts in life, and my parents do spoil me quite a bit, but I very much doubt that it is directly related to them having siblings.

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Because I've written an article on "How parents can entertain a single child" in my research I found that parents at times do tend to get anxious about raising their child properly. This is especially true if they have a sibling. They start to think about who will be there for their child in the future the way their sibling is there for them.

reference: Scientific American: Only children not so lonely by Zoƫ Corbyn

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is so true, Garifalia.   I call this the imposition of the parents' sibling psychology upon their only child.   Only children do quite fine in life without siblings.   They have friends, signifcant others, and other relatives.

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and they are so much more mature and put together. Nature-God if you like-has made certain that we find our way in life. We are the ones who keep blocking this heavenly gift. I think it's too much technology, too little spiritualism. good questi

3. gmwilliams profile image86

Yes, we are!  I see people with siblings who have issues because of parental favoritism, sibling abuse, and other issues related to siblings.   Onlies do not have THIS drama at all.  We are free to be who we want to be!   I for one AM happy !

4. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great to see people say they're happy. All the best to you!

5. gmwilliams profile image86

To Garifalia, Thank you so much and have a Blessed Good Night!

working