Do you think that children who grow up with siblings are happier?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Wasteless Project profile image89
    Wasteless Projectposted 10 years ago

Do you think that children who grow up with siblings are happier?

How much difference do siblings really make in a child's life? What are your own and your kids experiences?

2. profile image0
    Michelle Widmannposted 10 years ago

I don't think that's necessarily the case. I always thought I would be much happier as an only child. Parents can get distracted with too many children, or choose favourites, and leave other children feeling more lonely than if they were only children getting all of a parent's love.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are so right, when there is more than one child in the family, there is oftentimes sibling rivalry There is also favoritism &preferential treatment of one child over others.Siblings can be treated unequally based upon birth order etc.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

I think how secure and happy children are depends primarily on whether their parents (or even parent) are very capable and loving - not on whether they have siblings or not.  Other factors in a child's life can kick in and have some impact, but in general I think a happy, secure, childhood is mostly a matter of how the parents contribute to that.  Parents can also contribute to unhappy childhoods, whether they don't know how to help an only child or a child with one or more siblings who contribute to his unhappiness in some way.

Having had siblings myself, though, and having three children of my own; I've noticed that with each person with whom we have a close relationship, and with each person whose relationship we get to observe as a child with the same parents but also as a sibling, we get to have additional "perspective"/insight introduced to what would be a far narrower, more "tunneled", view of life and relationships when we have siblings.

Well, in general, with as many close and good relationships that we're fortunate enough to have in this life also tends to come more enrichment.  We're enriched when we have great parents, enriched by having people like close aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc.  We're definitely enriched and enlightened when we have children (if we're normal).  AND, as all those relationships continue to grow so do we, and so does the more grown-up type of enrichment we gain from them.

As with adults who choose to remain childless, I don't happen to think that people without those relationships or without siblings are "doomed to a life of emptiness".  Of course they aren't.  I do believe, though, that there are some very valuable and meaningful relationships they do miss and therefore miss out on at least the type of enrichment that comes from those relationships.  Best way to describe it, I guess:  We all can't experience everything in life, but we can live fulfilled and happy lives even when we miss out on some types of enrichment that only some experiences can provide.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I hesitate to speak for all families, as each situation is different. For me, I was the only child of older parents and tremendously lonely. They died when I was young and I had the chance to live with my aunt and uncle who had one son older than me, and one younger. So I got the chance to have "brothers" and it was great.

So for me I would have been happier with siblings. My two children are very different but are close now - but when they were kids they fought like cats and dogs regardless of consequences. That was a shock to me as an only child that siblings fight constantly.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

D, I agree with the loneliness factor. I still remember a Sunday. afternoon when I was 7.  My mom and dad sent me outside with my doll buggy. I walked up and down the quiet street and thought to myself, "Oh, THIS is what the word "lonely" means.

2. gmwilliams profile image83

I was NEVER lonely as an only child.  In fact, I felt my immediate environment was crowded.  I had friends, relatives, and a slew of cousins always visiting me and spending the night.  Only DOES NOT mean LONELY.  I NEVER WISHED for a sibling-NEVER!

5. Ciel Clark profile image71
    Ciel Clarkposted 10 years ago

I think children who grow up with siblings tend to eat a lot faster.  I don't have any brothers or sisters and I am a very slow eater and am still (decades later) surprised when I look for seconds and everyone else has finished. 

I have heard from almost all my friends with sibs that they are best friends after they are not living together, and yes, would love to have a sister. Or brother.

Children w/o siblings are freer to develop into their own persons.They don't have to conform to a sibling construct which is commonplace in multichild households.They aren't subjected to gamesmanshp nor favoritism which effects a child's self-esteem.

6. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

There is a BELIEF that siblings=happiness in children's lives.Such is NOT necessarily the case. Siblingship has both its positives & negatives& is NOT always a factor regarding a child's happiness. read more

I wrote this hub as a response to the question. Read and comment.

7. Angela Kane profile image58
    Angela Kaneposted 10 years ago

Yes I do believe children who have siblings are happier. They have people to play and talk to at home besides their parents or friends. It is a great and fun to be the only child, but life would so much more bearable with sisters and brothers.

8. larakern profile image68
    larakernposted 10 years ago

I feel like children that have siblings have someone to look after or up to. Siblings provide a way for children to bond with other children on a different level. Personally, I'm an only child and I always wanted a sibling to share my ideas or feelings with.

Not necessarily the case.  Friends LOOK after each other and so do cousins.  I had friends and cousins look after me and I them. There are siblings who would not hesitate to thrown another sibling under the bridge.  GET REAL here!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)