How does living with parents in adulthood make a person extremely immature? I b

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

How does living with parents in adulthood make a person extremely immature?  I believe that

once one reaches adulthood, he/she ought to be self-sufficient and make plans to leave the parental nest.   Of course, it may be difficult at first; however, one gains valuable life lessons living independent of parents.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

So you do not believe in the extended family model? Sometimes I wish it was still the norm rather than the nuclear family. I may feel that way because I have no living family left.

I think good and valuable life lessons can be learned anywhere - providing the parents back off and let the child be an adult.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Again, right on target with answers as usual.   You get an A for your answer!

3. WritingPrompts profile image66
    WritingPromptsposted 11 years ago

I don't think living with your parents makes you automatically immature.  It's a lot easier on the parent(s) if the adult child is mature and responsible.  What I've seen in myself and my own children is that there is a gap in understanding that shows up as immature behavior.  It can happen at any age. 

My mom passed away this summer.  She was the one who did the bills for close to 50 years.  My dad never had to pay a bill in his life, and he's 70 - and really having a hard time with his finances and dealing with the bill collectors if he misses one has shown how incredibly immature he is - in that one area. 

The same thing happens with my kids, neither one of whom has ever had a full time job or been responsible to see that the paycheck lasts until the next one comes.  They can get all kinds of bent out of shape over not getting some little toy or something they want.  But they have never been in the position of having to choose between "toys" and food/rent, so they don't really understand (emotionally) why they are hearing the "no", even when they get it intellectually.  So they pout - which I find "immature".

So it's really responsibility that makes a person "mature". You can take on more responsibility without having to leave the nest.  And you can leave the nest and fail to accept that responsibility - there are lots of people out there who don't live with their parents and still manage to hang on to their immaturity for a long time.  (Longer if they get married to someone who will take care of things for them...)

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

Sometimes the question is are the parents living with the adult child, instead of the adult child living with the parents.

When my mother was dying of ALS, before we put here in a nursing home, my sister lived in the same house. She had a nearby apartment. Did that make her immature-it did not. When I was 22, I was out of work for six months and moved backed in with my parents. I cut the grass, washed the dishes and did not just loaf around all day. Did that make me immature. I do not think so.

Sometimes, the most mature thing a young person is live at home, save up their money, so they can rent a decent apartment without having to have a roommate, who's only goal in life was to party all night.

Some young people are not ready to leave home at 20 or 21--they are immature. Everybody does not mature at the same age. Parents should not let the children become dependent on them. If the young adult is working, charge something for the extra food. Set some house rules, assigned some responsibilities. Help him or her develop the maturity that is needed to help them leave the nest.

5. kenroy347 profile image60
    kenroy347posted 11 years ago

I left my parents home when I was about nineteen years old. By then I felt like I wanted to be my own "big man".  There are some things that I wanted to do which was not possible for me. I will here seek to give what I call a proper response to you question of how living with parents in adulthood makes a person extremely immature.
    Maturity is the ability to take up certain kinds of responsibility. It is the willingness to face your fears and overcome them. It is the willingness to take chances and be prepared to face the consequences of your actions-be they good or bad.
    Living with parents is a sign that one is not "grown up" or be willing to do what is needed to be done.
    when living with parents, it is parents who make all the important decisions. My mother use to tell me that as long A as I am in her house I am still a child. Can I have a girl friend? No. Can I stay out at friends' house at night No? Well what can I do? Rent your own house, get your own keys and then make your own decisions.
    But that is not fair. No one is talking about fairness. We are talking about growing up and be coming your own man. Get a job, earn your keep  and spend your own money.
    They made my life challenging until the day I walked out. Then I felt real good.
    Living in parents house means a denial of whom you were intended to be. It just does not make it.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dr. Phil said the same thing you said.   He stated that those who live with their parents will NEVER develop as much emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually to be THEIR OWN person as those who LIVE ON THEIR OWN.

6. profile image55
    gautams1posted 11 years ago

I think that the economy is making it tough for people to live on their own. Kids could move back in with their parents and help them pay their mortgage which could be beneficial to everyone. Great question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)