What do you believe is the psychology behind a person's need to control another?

1. cynthtggt profile image77
    cynthtggtposted 4 years ago

What do you believe is the psychology behind a person's need to control another?

I am asking this question since from my own experience I noticed that those that wanted to control me in all matters of my life were all fatherless.  Is this merely a coincidence?

2. moonfroth profile image74
    moonfrothposted 4 years ago

I doubt it is coincidence.  Our societies for thousands of years have been built on a two-parent structure.  When one is permanently absent, accommodating compensations of SOME kind seem essential--not unlike a person who suffers an amputation of a leg and feels very real "shadow" sensations of the leg-that-isn't-there, or the authoritarian, coercive person who exerts what he THINKS is the role of "father" on others over whom he can exert control.  Which might be applicable in your case.  If you have never had a father,  your self-definition of strong male characteristics could get dramatically distorted.  And if there's ANY efficacy at all to that non-professional ramble, plunk it all into an environment where men have been struggling for, ....what?....a couple of generations, trying to figure out who they are in a world of increasingly empowered and strong women, and you have a formula for gender disaster.  So i'm not surprised that these dimwits that are trying to make your life miserable are fatherless themselves.  They don't know what a man is, but they FEEL like the strong men they never knew when they try to control YOU.  They don't know (poor fools) that they're squaring off with one of the toughest women I've met in a loooooooong time.

1. cynthtggt profile image77
      cynthtggtposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I must select this as the BEST ANSWER even if some reply after you, Moonfroth because it is so right on.  That you think me tough, though - well -  I am not tough.  What a thoroughly KEEN response and you have enlightened me. Wonderful.

working