jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How Did You Acquire Your Self-identity Is This Your True Identity Or Your Learne

1. vveasey profile image84
    vveaseyposted 4 years ago

How Did You Acquire Your Self-identity Is This Your True Identity Or Your Learned Identity?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6857293_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    MYWIKISTEPposted 4 years ago

I am sure it is a mixture.
    Finally, we should be more awaken, so that we can really be our true selves.
    Then, our lives' quality would increase surprisingly.

... I am following  vveasey !

1. vveasey profile image84
      vveaseyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks MYWIKISTEP
      I appreciate it!

3. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

For me, it's just always been there and always been both obvious and strong.   It doesn't feel like something I "acquired".  It feels like something I've just always known,  something that I grew up with, and something that I've always used as a "base point" for how I live my life.

I don't see it as something we "acquire".  I see it as something we recognize in ourselves.

I think it has to do with how sure and comfortable we are with ourselves when we're really, really, young; so I think a strong sense of identity/self comes from one's mother/parents in those first few years.  I think a lot of people have that at, say, three years old; but for some people parents, other adults, society-in-general, etc. can be effective at eroding away at what is/should be natural in young children; and some don't have that inner sureness to stand up to things/values that eventually separate them from who/what they know they really are.

For me, the "identity" I've always been very comfortable with is my true one and certainly not one I learned.

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8478151_f260.jpg

People acquire their self-identity in myriad ways.  As children, we are inculcated regarding our self-identity from parents, older siblings/cousins, other adult authority figures, religion, and the general society. At this early formative stage, what we know about ourselves is from these people and social/religious constructs. 

As we become older, we begin to rely more upon ourselves for our self-identity. From our individual life experiences, we form and develop our self-identity which is separate from what others believe and perceive about us.  However, there are some exceptions.  There are children who are highly self-assured early in life.  They have a strong self-identity which is separate from what they were taught from parents and other adult authoritative figures. 

As children and young adolescents, many of us have a prescribed and learned self-identity. When many of us become more experienced and self-confident in our life paths, we come into a realization of our true identity.  We cast off others' perceptions of our self-identity and evolve into our true identity.  We learn who WE were, what WE want, and why WE are here!

working