jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What is the right age for children to go to school?

1. Vellur profile image89
    Vellurposted 4 years ago

What is the right age for children  to go to school?

2. kschimmel profile image49
    kschimmelposted 4 years ago

It varies by child.  No child should be sent before they are ready, and "ready" is something parents are in the best position to determine.  I personally think most kids go to all-day school far too early and get too little unstructured time alone.

Vellurposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are so right it does vary from child to child, it is up to the parents to decide.

3. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Interesting question the right age for a child to go to school  is seven years old though my son went  at five years and ten months thereafter the age of going to school changed to seven.  It depends on how the child can cope with  learning.

DDE yes it really depends on the child.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

This is a great question.  The law here states that children have to be in school by age 7, which includes homeschooling or private school.

However, the schools tend to hassle people and don't tell them this information.  Parents have to be vigilant about reading the laws.
    My daughter started at 4 because her father insisted, and it was a mistake.  I did not feel she was ready.  But, we compromised and she went part-time.

But, my son has special needs.  I homeschooled him and enrolled him in private school.  When I went to the board of ed with his diagnosis and told them that he has special needs which the private school does not help with, they tried to say that he should have been enrolled in public school at age 4.  But that's not what the law says.  The person who said that to me is all pro-school and is very aggressive toward parents. I don't know how she keeps her job.  (The school district gets $$ for each student because we live in a poverty-stricken area.  So they get very aggressive with people who enroll their children elsewhere, such as private school.  They lose the money that they would get if the child was enrolled at the public school.)

It is really sad that education has become so commercial nowadays.

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

in malaysia, children at the age 4 starts to go to school for nursery, age 5 for K1 and age 6 for K2. Some even goes beyond. Such as age 3 ! As for me, my son goes to school at age 6 K2 for one year only. His daddy thinks that kindy are out to earn money from parents.

Thank you for the information.

working