jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Do you feel the medical and pharmaceutical establishments exaggerate the threat.

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Do you feel the medical and pharmaceutical establishments exaggerate the threat...

of potential flu epidemics in order to increase revenues from office visits and vaccines?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

Probably selling vaccines and over-the-counter cures.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image75
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You see Beth, even if you have never been sick they talk you into getting the flu shot. Then you get the flu - from the flu shot and they sell over-the-counter cure(s).

3. GlendaGoodWitch profile image90
    GlendaGoodWitchposted 4 years ago

Not really. They have to put the facts on the table because when people start coming down with the flu they will point the finger and complain that the seriousness of the epidemic was not fully explained. Also, many people, especially older people, die of the flue every year.

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Of course they do.  We have a for profit health care system that benefits from medicating as many people as possible without ever curing anything.  Flu vaccines are a great way to make a profit off of people's fear.  Most people who get the flu will not have serious complications and there are also antivirals available if you do contract the flu that are quite effective.  I'd rather skip shot risks and just get the antiviral if/when I need it honestly. 

I can see the use of shots for the elderly, those with compromised immunity etc. but even a flu shot is not a 100% guarantee you won't get the flu and I think they don't state that clearly enough and give people a false sense of comfort.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 4 years ago

You always read you can't be getting the right vaccine because they have no idea what strain is coming. I have never had a flu shot. I watch germs do not eat in any place they handle the food in flu season and drink green tea. It has been years since I have had anything, even a cold. My mom got a flu shot every year and it made her sick every year, she had bronchitis real bad but I never went against her doctors orders. I don't know how many walk in with a needle and think they will force it on me....not so far.

6. Ms Dee profile image89
    Ms Deeposted 4 years ago

Yes. My husband and I don't trust the actual flu shot itself, either, from some studies and articles we've read. So we don't get them.

working