What are AT LEAST TEN reasons why it is UNWISE for children, tweens, and teens to have friendships
and other associations with their counterparts from lower socioeconomic backgrounds than theirs?
I grew up poor, and we are not rich yet, but my daughter had friends from among those with the welfare mentality. They treated her like she was rich and should give them rides, etc. just because she had 2 parents, part-time access to my vehicle, and no EBT card. While I'm happy to help, coming from a poor background (though we'd never take welfare) I resented the way my daughter was taken advantage of by kids who thought they were "entitled" to others' things and that my daughter didn't deserve to be happy. If I could do it over, I'd take back the couple of years she went to public school. She was too kind and generous for the ungrateful moochers (who were made that way, I suppose, by their parent(s)?)
I am so appalled by this question that I cannot even begin to formulate a response.
Everything is not money; the bottom-line; cash value.
That said, I am beginning to think "gmwilliams" that you publish these questions and forums in praise of Mammon with some motive that I have not yet discerned, but suspect, is related to what we might---with all due respect, call attention-getting.
Social class determines so much.Children from affluent socioecnomic classes have a different perspective on life than those from lower socioecnomic backgrounds.Affluent children are raised/inculcated differently than children from the lower class.
Different does NOT mean better.
Remember we now have a condition among some teens called "affluenza".
There's NOTHING wrong w/being affluent. It is a GOOD thing!
There isn't even one good reason! Friends are friends no matter how much or little money either of them have.
Not necessary, children from socioecnomically affluent backgrounds have a different mindset than children from lower socioeconomic backgrounds who are taught VERY DIFFERENT things in terms of achievemen, education, & success!
The real question is the attitude of the friends, not their income. I taught my daughter that the way to tell a real friend is to ask yourself who would still be there even if you had nothing left to give them!
This question got me thinking about friends of mine; some friends for over 50 years. We come from very different "socio-economic" backgrounds and we've all done just fine. One reason: Our friendships with each other without reference to class.
This is crazy question, and I think everyone should have friends but I will tackle this question. (Some of these reasons maybe really silly and far out) but I am answering this question.
1. Friends can introduce children, tweens, and teens to drugs (pot, meth, cocaine, alcohol).
2. Friends can introduce children, tweens, and teens to unsafe sex practices/situations (unprotected sex, promiscuity, prostitution etc.)
3. Friends can introduce children, tweens, and teens to stealing (shoplifting, grand theft auto).
4. Friends can introduce children, tweens, and teens to lying, cheating, and fighting.
5. Friends can encourage children, tweens, and teens to act like bullies and be mean to others.
6. Friends can encourage children, tweens, and teens to not do homework, to skip classes, to cut school and to even drop out of school.
7. Friends can encourage children, tweens, and teens to not listen/act out to their parents, teachers, the cops, and virtually all adults.
8. Friends can exposed children, tweens, and teens to dangerous/criminal activities (drug dealing, gang-banging, graffiti art, etc.)
9.Friends can encourage children, tweens, and teens to do dumb things (planking, video-taping yourself twerking, sexting, jumping off of bridges, putting firecrackers in your mouth, sucking alcohol out of tampons, etc.)
10. Friends can introduce and expose children, tweens, and teens to bad influences and situations (introduction to drug dealers, crack/meth/pot heads, parties with illegal drug use, creepy parents that can’t keep their hands to themselves, etc.)
11. Friends can encourage, teach and expose children, tweens, and teens to bad morals and values (bad work ethnic/not to work hard, to bum off the government and system, to trap people in relationships using pregnancy and other means, etc.)
12. Friends can encourage children, tweens, and teens to unhealthy behaviors and attitudes that can lead to mental disorders, (such as obsessing about thigh-gap and being skinny which can lead to eating disorders/ body dysmorphic disorder, encouraging cutting and self-mutilation to solves problems that can lead to depression, suicidal behaviors, etc.).
Note this can be of friends/associations of different socio/economic backgrounds not just lower ones
Many children from lower socioeconomic backgrounds have a negative, anti-achievement,&anti-education mindset.They've a consciousness of being satisfied w/very little as opposed to children from more affluent backgrounds who are exhorted to ACHIEV
I get that gmwilliams even so, kids of all backgrounds can be exposed to drugs, sex, bad values, criminal behavior, etc. The stuff I list can apply to kids of all socio/economic backgrounds. I'm curious what was the purpose asking this question?
Glad YOU asked.The purpose was that each social class has its own inculcation. Each social class has its own perspective in terms of worldview..Affluent parents want their kids to associate w/other affluent kids because of the part.mindset/worldview.
This is all true, but "gmwilliams" believes that rich is better in every way---morally, intellectually, socially, spiritually and that, therefore, we should not allow our children to associate with a diverse group of friends.
It is socially NECESSARY for children to develop friendships. It is what creates a functioning adult. You can get NOWHERE in life without at least half-decent people skills. Everything you do in life requires it. You can't pass an interview and gain employment if the person interviewing you doesn't like you. You are selling yourself in all you do.
Who are we to judge others? This question assumes valid reasons exist for not associating with others beneath you socially or economically
by Grace Marguerite Williams2 years ago
Do you believe that children who come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds i.e. lower, working,& lower middle socioeconomic class backgrounds WON'T become successful NOWADAYS in America? Is the phenomena rags to...
by Grace Marguerite Williams2 months ago
To discerning people out there, why do some people refuse to realize that a person's educational& socioeconomic backgrounds are important components in a relationship? Why do these same people have LOW or...
by Linda Crampton10 months ago
What are some ways to encourage children to eat green vegetables?
by Linda Crampton5 years ago
How can we encourage children or teenagers to listen to different genres of music?What are some ways for parents to encourage their children or teenagers to listen to music from a wide variety of genres - such as rock,...
by RodneyBlaec Rainey4 years ago
Apparently there have been some studies recently into the psychological effects of wealth and poverty on the human mind. Lawrence Davidson of OpEd News writes.."The notion that the poor can make "free...
by Rainbowlove7 years ago
I've been very hurt by the many things people have said to me and I was getting really tired of the ridiculous excuses. And I know it says ten reasons but I could only figure out five, sorry1.) Unlike many straight...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.