jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the FIRST thing that comes to the mind when the words.......ROMAN EMPIRE

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What is the FIRST thing that comes to the mind when the words.......ROMAN EMPIRE is

2. stevarino profile image83
    stevarinoposted 3 years ago

Edward Gibbon, the English writer that spent a large portion of his adult life writing "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire".

I read the condensed version a few years ago, it was over 1,500 pages, the original was 6 volumes.

3. jjackson786 profile image94
    jjackson786posted 3 years ago

Mine was the singular word "conquest". I believe that it embraces the whole of the ancient Roman philosophy quite nicely.

4. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

I suspect it was bigger than the South Bank Empire that I used to go to as a lad on Friday evenings with my parents...
    Seriously, the Romans had their day, to be replaced by the Holy Roman Empire in the west and the Byzantine Empire in the east of Europe. Established after several bitter battles by Constantine, made emperor at Eboracum just before the Romans left Britain in AD 410, the Eastern Empire fell prey to 'new technology', i.e. gunpowder used by the Turks in 1453..
    Their empire was overstretched for the poor means of communication they had then, just as the Greek Empire before them faltered after Alexander's demise.
    'Every dog has his day' also applies to us (Britain), the Danes, the French, the Spaniards, the Dutch, the Portuguese, Austrians... Germans, Japanese, Russians.
    Who's next in the queue for Armageddon, the Chinese ?or the US?

5. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

Grace, I immediately think of a loaf of Roman Meal bread and making a nice chicken salad sandwich. But I blame that squarely on you getting me hungry with that other question you posted!

6. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

A map of Europe suddenly pops in my head